Can't get enough of FH
Tallen said:
Or the million variations of Legolas :rolleyes:

leggylas

legogolas

ligolas

lagolas

KNOB

all good variations imo thatmust have taken 5 seconds to think up when deciding to play a hunter

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
leggylas

legogolas

ligolas

lagolas

KNOB

all good variations imo thatmust have taken 5 seconds to think up when deciding to play a hunter

We have a nelf rogue named Negolas on al'akir :/

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Play Guild Wars, your name can have four words and I don't think there's any naming policy - judging by all of the silly ones you see :p

Ziva

Fluffy
I agree with Meduza and think Blizzard has much better things to do then to slap people with their strict naming policy when a certain name isn't insulting.

As been said, he probably met a lot over people while playing different mmorpgs and beeing forced to change his name also means that people outside the guild or who do not know about this forced namechange will not recognize him anymore.

As for giving feedback to Blizz... that's a joke. Their response time lags more then their server, their forums suck for massive censoring and sometimes i feel like they hired a bunch of robots for their emailsupport since the answers allways look the same.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Tbh the reason they changed your name is because you were reported. Obviously another player decided they didn't like your name so they reported you and blizzard acted.

M

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Well considering everyone now has, 'Private' or 'Corporal' in front of their names now anyway, being called "Corporal CplCarrot" might seem a bit odd.

I guess if you called yourself MasterSeargentCarrot, it would be frowned upon slightly.

Isnt Corporal Carrot a trademarked name anyway? Discworld character? Most MMORPG's wont allow it due to copyright infringement. Its possibly because its a bit more obscure than being called Aragorn it just hasnt been noticed until now..

On another note my housemates character was called Faeces and nobody ever batted an eye. :eek7:

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Made a dorf called Capnblackbeardy yesterday an gave him a pirate hat and ran around dun morough yelling avast ye swabs! i wonder how long till bliz change his name..... and incase u were wondering it was because after reading the post about the GM and the Pirates made me lmao and have a urge to be 1.
dunno if any1 else has seen that but i cant remember the link my mate gave me to it as im at work.
damn hilarious tho.
Bring me some grog wench!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Lakashnik said:
Made a dorf called Capnblackbeardy yesterday an gave him a pirate hat and ran around dun morough yelling avast ye swabs! i wonder how long till bliz change his name..... and incase u were wondering it was because after reading the post about the GM and the Pirates made me lmao and have a urge to be 1.
dunno if any1 else has seen that but i cant remember the link my mate gave me to it as im at work.
damn hilarious tho.
Bring me some grog wench!

you mean this one? : http://www.aomforum.com/images/d5b_gm1.jpg

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
YES lmao i thought it was fkin hilarious

it is not wise to spit on a gm
tis a priate sign o respect!

rofl

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
I've seen some really bad names on Bladefist... Those are mostly not in English though..

Blodskam = Incest (who would want a name like that???)
Tomtekuk = Santa + male genitalia
Fitthue (or something like that) = It's something to do with female genitalia...

And one who got renamed pretty fast:
Buckfutter...

I do agree with those who say you should have followed the naming policy and rename of a character shouldn't be reason for you to quit...

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
"[Koltas]Next time we gonna make ye walk da plank.
[Koltas]Backwards."

Funny stuff :cheers:

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
Play Guild Wars, your name can have four words and I don't think there's any naming policy - judging by all of the silly ones you see :p
Its crazy how actual people can come up with such retarded names as there is running about in GW. :D

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
i would say the main reason is you are using the word cpl .. anyone that knows anything about games knows what cpl stands for =) i seem to remember a simular incident in mythic changing a a name which had something simular to addidas +_+ im only speculating here though

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Why dem buckaneers be sayig har instead of yar! Avast, them be wannab pirates i see with me good eye!

Yar!edit: And none of them be sending the spitbucket into davy jones locker! Arrr....piratey times be over fo sure.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
old.Tohtori said:
Why dem buckaneers be sayig har instead of yar! Avast, them be wannab pirates i see with me good eye!

Yar!edit: And none of them be sending the spitbucket into davy jones locker! Arrr....piratey times be over fo sure.

maybe they are just harving (hurhurhur) fun? :p

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
I think that you must be reported by someone in order to change your name, that's why a lot of worse names still exist while the relatively harmless cplcarrot didn't get changed. I have seen lots of people use names from books and noone has had his name changed, i have seen 'Raskolnikov' go around Deathwing for 3 months now, even if i suppose there's no copyright linked to that name anymore :p Or noone has actually read the book because it demanded functioning braincells :eek:

CplCarrot

Fledgling Freddie
to all those with the "flame him" mentality.

If you read other posts by myself - you will see the bigger picture of why I left.

Including but not limited to:

Being banned from the tech support forums for reporting lag, as DIRECTED by an ingame GM.

Losing 20G on AH due to a server rollback that the GM promised would be refunded then DELETED the call (not closed, but deleted all record).

CplCarrot

Fledgling Freddie
Wildfire said:
No offence but it's to be expected, coming here and posting "omg they wont let me use my names - which I lifted directly from discworld books - i quit!" is a bit silly really...

If the name is what you play the game for, go ahead.
I don't understand the motivation though - most people play for the game.
Besides, you don't even see your name 95% of the time.

Wildfire I expected better from you as well - you are supposed to be an established MMORPG type with a bit of frickin decency.

Dont come into my posts being an arse - read the other threads.

CplCarrot

Fledgling Freddie
Ziva said:
As for giving feedback to Blizz... that's a joke. Their response time lags more then their server, their forums suck for massive censoring and sometimes i feel like they hired a bunch of robots for their emailsupport since the answers allways look the same.

And thats the nail on the head mate, thats exactly why I quit. I refuse to be used as a scapegoat or made an "example" of.

NO-ONE reported my name its a GM instigated issue as noted in the email - its suspicious to me that.

1. I place a call with GM
2. GM tells me to post on tech forums to "help".
3. I get my post deleted and my account banned (one of the first to highlight the lag issue).
4. I get "incorrect password" when I log on for a week.
5. My calls get closed when I finally get back in.
6. My account is cancelled without me wanting it cancelled.
7. I re-activate my account - get an email instantly about the name.

Is it paranoid to think I have been victimised for talking on a popular forum about the lag?

I saw loads of posts on the official forums from "level 1" chars , saying my account has been banned for simply reporting a bug! - I disbelieved these people - but for those that know me (im no leet type, nor a geekspeaker, just a normal part time games player) you know Im neither a liar nor a "bad egg".

Im not being a martyr , I just will not stand for anyone taking my money as a customer and treating me like shit in return. Doesnt matter if its a bank or a games company, the priniciple is the same.

I loved the game, but refuse to line the pockets of people like this.

CplCarrot

Fledgling Freddie
Gef said:
Well considering everyone now has, 'Private' or 'Corporal' in front of their names now anyway, being called "Corporal CplCarrot" might seem a bit odd.

I guess if you called yourself MasterSeargentCarrot, it would be frowned upon slightly.

Isnt Corporal Carrot a trademarked name anyway? Discworld character? Most MMORPG's wont allow it due to copyright infringement. Its possibly because its a bit more obscure than being called Aragorn it just hasnt been noticed until now..

On another note my housemates character was called Faeces and nobody ever batted an eye. :eek7:

hehe im stopping posting in a sec honest, but felt I need to rebut on this one.

CplCarrot is NOT copyrighted, you cannot copyright any rank used in the military. It could be argued that Carrot can be , as its in the book, but again, can pratchett claim (not that he would) copyright on a name of a vegetable?

Every other MMORPG I have played (and thats a lot) have allowed this name, I feel its just another way of "silencing" me / SHOWING THE POWAHHHH etc.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Conchabar said:
cpl is so copyrighted k noob

http://www.thecpl.com/league/ :touch: :flame:
Which part of cplcarrot is "Association services, namely promoting the interest of the electronic game players" or "Entertainment exhibitions in the nature of computer gaming tournament" as their trademark (service mark) is limited to?

Did you know that there are 57 registered trademarks with the text CPL among which only 31 are live and of which only 1 belong to NewWorld.com which you're referring to?

IIRC; violating the naming policy also result in a name change, not a ban.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I saw 2 undeads in tirisfal glades a few days ago. One was called "Sikfuk", the other was called "Fukdat". I /saluted them and moved on.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
CplCarrot said:
CplCarrot is NOT copyrighted, you cannot copyright any rank used in the military. It could be argued that Carrot can be , as its in the book, but again, can pratchett claim (not that he would) copyright on a name of a vegetable?

... that's asinine. Really.

Anyone who has ever read a Discworld book will know exactly who Corporal Carrot is. If you call yourself Superman and get your name changed you won't cry, will you? (Ok, I guess you will cry about it...).

"Oh... 'Super' isn't copyrighted. And neither is 'man'! Oh noes - I quit!"

It's my personal pleasure to see people like you on my server, put their names on my friends list, report them and see how creative a GM can be when it comes to finding new names.

I don't get why people can't be at least a little bit creative when it comes to finding a name for their toon...

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Conchabar said:
dont worry whisp always trys to have a go at me she hates me ;)

If you stir the shit, dont expect to come out of it smelling like roses :)

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
Tallen said:
If you stir the shit, dont expect to come out of it smelling like roses :)
no even in daoc she had a problem with me... even when we were in the same guild now its just normal for me to expect her to have ago at anything i say =) she even admited it so ^^

Whisperess said:
Conchabar said:
always had a thing against me didnt u whisp :twak:
Yeah, but that's beside the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom