A sad end to a mixed experience.

CplCarrot

Fledgling Freddie
Well folks, blizzard put the nail in the coffin today which resulted in me leaving WoW. The Character name which I have used in over 6 MMORPG's is apparantly not acceptable to Blizzard.

I will see you in the next MMORPG forum ;)

Along with a ban from the tech forums for bringing up the lag problem in the early days , I now recieved this:

Account Name: ***********
Type of Violation: Naming Policy breached, Partial or complete sentence and Gibberish
Character Name Involved: Cplcarrot, Thepatrician
Consequences for Account: Characters renamed and warning placed on account.

Greetings Mr. ******,

We are writing to inform you that one or more of your character names are in violation of our naming policy and has been temporarily changed. The Character Naming Policy is part of the Terms of Use that govern your play in World of Warcraft and, as such, must be adhered to. As a consequence of this breach of our Naming Policy, a warning has been placed on your account. Please note that although, on this occasion, we consider this a relatively minor offence, should any further violations of our Rules and Policies occur, this incident will be taken into consideration when determining the consequences to your account.

If you wish to change the name of your character from the one which it has been given, please page a GM in-game within 7 days with a suitable replacement name which complies with the Character Naming Policy. If you do not do this, the temporary name will become permanent. Please include a choice of, at least, 4 names in your order of preference, in case the name you have selected has already been taken by another player.

Please review our current Rules and Policies, they can be found at:
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/policy/

Please do not reply to this email as you will receive an automated response.

Regards,

English Game Master Team
Blizzard Europe

I especially like the "please do not reply to this email" and no provision of an email you actually can reply to.

WoW was a brilliant game IMO and I built a lvl 60 shammy, maxxed out all crafting skills and also helped as many members of my server community as possible - Blizzard are however, just a bunch of powermad crazy people :eek2:

CplCarrot

Fledgling Freddie
cplcarrot == Partial or complete sentence and Gibberish

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
wow got a different naming policy maybe you shoulda read it..

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Hrm, if I were to choose a reason from the ToC, it would have been

Titles
Fantasy titles should be earned through the mechanics of the game, and should not be recreated through character naming (this policy does not apply to Guild and Pet Names). This category includes names which:
  • Consist of any title prefix or suffix attached to a character's name be it fantasy-based or not (i.e. Kingmike, Presidentsanchez, Misterpopatoe)

rather than the gibberish one they used, although the partial or complete sentence one works for the 'Thepatrician' name (maybe even for the title reason again), don't see a huge reason why a character wouldn't be able to be called Carrot though (might be a nickname for the characters true name for all we know), but the corporal bit appears to, ehm, infringe the rules (for lack of a better word).

Though the naming policy does appear to be a bit of a catch all policy, ah well

ReaLX

Fledgling Freddie
Is this the only reason for you quiting WoW? Kinda weird if you think it's a good game overall.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
well theres someone on my server called "Gayhunter"
hes a hunter, he helped me kill someone, hes a troll.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Blizzard do seem to be out to make examples of as many people as they can right now. Often for no good reason.

I hope they remember this when their game hits the toilet in a few years and they are begging for resubscribers.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
It was for a good reason though, breech of the Terms and Conditions. If it were me i would change the character name and continue playing.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Silly names. Strange reason to put a warning on the account, but they did the right thing in changing them.

Pinp

Banned
Why does it matter at all if you can't be called Cplcarrot if you enjoy the game? Cplcarrot isn't exactly a genius name anyway. You're probably loosing out more by quitting than you would by playing if you was havin' fun =|

Nala

Fledgling Freddie
More fool you is all I can say, I don't think you deserve sympathy or that Blizzard did anything wrong.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
I couldnt use my name on SWG (Wyleia) because it had the word 'leia' in it which is a SW character. You still get to pick a new name for your character, might be fun to try something entirely different :)

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
well, you've got my sympathy m8, and yeah in my opinion the naming policy is far to strict.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
my alt called superkiller is still alive and kicking

oh and blizzard aren't a bunch of "powermad crazy people"

they just have rules which have been made clear

i'm sorry mr. rebel :/

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
well the problem is u also cannot name a character anything to do with religion, mythology or any trademarks so theres so few names left considering they also dont want gibberish names or names made up of more than 1 word... very stupid rule imho

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
gunner440 said:
my alt called superkiller is still alive and kicking

oh and blizzard aren't a bunch of "powermad crazy people"

they just have rules which have been made clear

i'm sorry mr. rebel :/

Tell Rolke or something (57) shaman in your guild I want to duel him :p He jumped in the water in theramore, killed a guildy then ran back to the rest of your crew camping the docks, lagged like hell, got disconnected. Come back 5 mins later and he's there frost shocking me. :(

(Wajn)

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
Nugusta said:
Tell Rolke or something (57) shaman in your guild I want to duel him :p He jumped in the water in theramore, killed a guildy then ran back to the rest of your crew camping the docks, lagged like hell, got disconnected. Come back 5 mins later and he's there frost shocking me. :(

(Wajn)

Ek was menethil actually ^ :p I guessed, when you were on the boat you were going in circles killing everyone wanting to be on boat? :( looked fun tbh

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I'll gladly duel any time there isnt 20 second lag spikes :)

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
there are far more offensive names, and far bigger problems with the game than someone called cplcarrot - short for corporal carrot i think

people named gandalllfffhhh etc

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
hmm yeah, Carrott would work well though is a technical breach of the name policy, which you broke in about three ways :)

(It was a partial sentance, it had a rank in it, it was a copyrighted name)

But I have seen so many, much worse names, so you were unlucky.

All my previuos mmorpg names had gone when I signed up on Friday so I had to pick a new one.

I think I can live with it.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
lol tbh i think blizzards naming is ridiculous.
still think its funny that i have a female NE druid whos name is irlimadude and still not had it changed.
i see no problem with hlf the peoples names in this game as long as they arent offensive. cplcarrot or thepatrician just sound to me like a guy who loves terry pratchet. nothing wrong with that imo. met sum1 called samuelvimes other day. shame the guy playing him was a idiot begging whore of a retarded fkmonkey. :(

Wildfire

Fledgling Freddie
No offence but it's to be expected, coming here and posting "omg they wont let me use my names - which I lifted directly from discworld books - i quit!" is a bit silly really...

If the name is what you play the game for, go ahead.
I don't understand the motivation though - most people play for the game.
Besides, you don't even see your name 95% of the time.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Wildfire said:
No offence but it's to be expected, coming here and posting "omg they wont let me use my names - which I lifted directly from discworld books - i quit!" is a bit silly really...

If the name is what you play the game for, go ahead.
I don't understand the motivation though - most people play for the game.
I must agree here, if you like the game then just change your name and continue, if you don't like the game, this is seems like an excuse to whine at Blizzard because you couldn't keep your name, which was taken in disregard to the rules Blizzard has stated.

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Wildfire said:
The dood said he used the name in 5 MMORPGS meaning he must have some online m8s that knows him by that name, and if they lost contact some 3 MMORPGS ago and now meet up, they could recognise him and stuff. Maybe thats why he wanna keep his name?

I dont go change my RL name even tho no1 calls me by my birth name, ie not responding "95% of the time" to it... Yea yea, maybe not fair dragging RL into this discussion, but as others have said: Theres far too many other issues to deal with than the name Cplcarrot imo.

Jerbear

Fledgling Freddie
i feel for ya cplcarrot!! come and move to Guild Wars with me and quit this lagfest :cheers:

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:
Theres far too many other issues to deal with than the name Cplcarrot imo.

blimey meduza in 'constructive post' shocker ;)

i presume by that you mean the lag fest that is now WoW

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Fedaykin said:
there are far more offensive names, and far bigger problems with the game than someone called cplcarrot - short for corporal carrot i think

people named gandalllfffhhh etc

Or the million variations of Legolas :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom