A question and a tip for all you bards

A

Arnor

Why in gods name do you bother? bard is the most frustrating class to play in daoc, bar none.

tip: dont ever, EVER play a pac-healer, EVER! youll break down into a sulking excuse for a human being after 5mins playing your bard after that :puke:

GIF BARDS LOVVE! (additional cctype, remove bullseye, give end-chant to hero or warden and let them twist pbt&end :p )

C

Cheesehound

[RL threats are not tolerated. And your clueless about bards]

A

Amadon

Originally posted by Arnor
Why in gods name do you bother? bard is the most frustrating class to play in daoc, bar none.

tip: dont ever, EVER play a pac-healer, EVER! youll break down into a sulking excuse for a human being after 5mins playing your bard after that :puke:

GIF BARDS LOVVE! (additional cctype, remove bullseye, give end-chant to hero or warden and let them twist pbt&end :p )
because it's the most pivotal role in hib rvr imo
it's WAY less frustrating than my casters, and if I play well I know I can give my group a 90% chance of winning

but yes.. bards need a helluva lot of love

C

Cheesehound

uh, whys that? since i havent played a bard yet seen how they ae-mezz, turn on end-regen and then farm rps? no?.

A

Amadon

try it, and you'll get a clue xDxDxDxDxD

if you think that's all a bard does, and that just that alone is easy to perform, then you're just hilighting your ignorance

C

Cheesehound

So tell me whats so hard about it since you want to carry on this discusion?

R

Rubric

Originally posted by Cheesehound

Well Cheese you can't run when the going gets a little tough leaving your guildmates to hit the dirt.

V

vintervargen

aye bard is damn frustrating.

i dont see why most ppl think the bard should lead tho, imo it could be as good to be a def. bard, get a good mez on tanks and then go for support or demez,,

G

Gahldir

uh, whys that? since i havent played a bard yet seen how they ae-mezz, turn on end-regen and then farm rps? no?.

that is oh so easy you think?

pac healer has it much easier to get mezz in when they use insta-stun 1st then a bard with lull + aoe mezz.

and then the bard has to get up end before a tank starts attacking him since it's interuptable. and if you are up against a mid group the tank will be able to sprint forever, while you can't. and then albs have endchant (not song etc) on a pally wich can effectively sprint after you with his endchant up :)

try it. i did and i didn't like it. so i let ppl who enjoys it play it instead. :)

A

Arnor

Re: Re: A question and a tip for all you bards

im not even gonna start on your sorry ass, you pwned yourself more then I ever can pwn you :(

amadon: imo casters>bards in fun, ok you die pretty fast, but atleast you dont get rammed first in the fight like bards do. and they have to do all this stuff in combat while I just can nuke away :)

That said, I know that bard is the essence of hib rvr, i just wanna know what you ppl like about bards or if you play em solely for your realm/guild.

O

old.Nol

Re: Re: Re: A question and a tip for all you bards

That said, I know that bard is the essence of hib rvr, i just wanna know what you ppl like about bards or if you play em solely for your realm/guild.

It is a selfless class that requires alot of patience and perseverance. I find it challenging to juggle all the bard tasks in the same fight. Out of all the chars I can play, bard is still my favourite.

Good bards turn tides...

Needless to say, things like lag and bad cons affect a bards performance and some days you just have bad days.

A

Amadon

1) bards are even easier to spot than mages, mages are only targetted before bards because they die even quicker, but not by much
2) casting the mez:
- mez is a relatively long spell to cast
- bards dont get quickcast
- bards have to be stationary to cast the mez
- bards are subject to all the problems with interrupts that casters are, except bards don't have quickcast so there's very little they can do if interrupted
- facing albs, bards have to start casting mez, then target the sorc who has a qc mez on the go (greater range) and get an insta lull off, which is somewhat difficult at 1500 range bards have about half a second to target the sorc and get the insta lull in - sorc is qc mez, so it takes 2 seconds, mez starts at 1850 range, the 350 units takes about 1 second, and the lag (from various sources) adds another .5 seconds at least, using insta mez on albs with mez reduction will lose you the fight (ceteris paribus)
- facing mids, you have to decide in a split second whether to use your insta, which is useless on tanks and most mid groups are tank heavy, or hope like hell the mid healer is going to try cast rather then use one of his 2 insta's which can then be followed up by a full duration CC spell (insta stun -> mez, or insta mez -> stun)
- using an insta mez usually costs the bard the battle unless the battle was won anyway
- the bard has only 1 form of crowd control, sorc has mez + root, healer has mez + stun (not sure about root on healer :eek: )

3) end song:
- this has a 5 second casting time
- it's subject to interruption
- no quickcast
- bard has to hold a drum with glowing notes floating above his head, while holding the drum, the bard cannot equip a shield, so his only defense is his low evade in a frontal arc
- any and everything interrupts end song

and that's just an overview of the difficulties bards face providing the 2 things you think they do
they also however have to alot more in battle, all of which combined with the incredibly retarded interrupt system, make it one of the hardest clases to play well

if you really want more of an idea of how bad bards have it, and dont feel like trying one yourself, then go read any one of the endless posts about the plight of bards on vnboards
it's no coincidence that bards have not had a TL for ages, nor that bards are among the hardest classes to find for a group.

O

old.Nol

Originally posted by Amadon
1) bards are even easier to spot than mages, mages are only targetted before bards because they die even quicker, but not by much
2) casting the mez:
- mez is a relatively long spell to cast
- bards dont get quickcast
- bards have to be stationary to cast the mez
- bards are subject to all the problems with interrupts that casters are, except bards don't have quickcast so there's very little they can do if interrupted
- facing albs, bards have to start casting mez, then target the sorc who has a qc mez on the go (greater range) and get an insta lull off, which is somewhat difficult at 1500 range bards have about half a second to target the sorc and get the insta lull in - sorc is qc mez, so it takes 2 seconds, mez starts at 1850 range, the 350 units takes about 1 second, and the lag (from various sources) adds another .5 seconds at least, using insta mez on albs with mez reduction will lose you the fight (ceteris paribus)
- facing mids, you have to decide in a split second whether to use your insta, which is useless on tanks and most mid groups are tank heavy, or hope like hell the mid healer is going to try cast rather then use one of his 2 insta's which can then be followed up by a full duration CC spell (insta stun -> mez, or insta mez -> stun)
- using an insta mez usually costs the bard the battle unless the battle was won anyway
- the bard has only 1 form of crowd control, sorc has mez + root, healer has mez + stun (not sure about root on healer :eek: )

3) end song:
- this has a 5 second casting time
- it's subject to interruption
- no quickcast
- bard has to hold a drum with glowing notes floating above his head, while holding the drum, the bard cannot equip a shield, so his only defense is his low evade in a frontal arc
- any and everything interrupts end song

and that's just an overview of the difficulties bards face providing the 2 things you think they do
they also however have to alot more in battle, all of which combined with the incredibly retarded interrupt system, make it one of the hardest clases to play well

if you really want more of an idea of how bad bards have it, and dont feel like trying one yourself, then go read any one of the endless posts about the plight of bards on vnboards
it's no coincidence that bards have not had a TL for ages, nor that bards are among the hardest classes to find for a group.

...put into easyspeak for dummehs plz...the hounds of cheddar have spoken!

O

old.Nol

:rolleyes:
let me take this opportunity to say that both healers and sorcer's have access to MOC, bards don't.

Sorcer's have a growing dex stat that caps at an insanely high ratio, with moart and buffs, give people like Dreams a 1.65 second(that's .35 seconds faster then the supposed cap) full AOE mezz cast at a range 1850.

Healers just use their stuns to lay down the perfect mezz.

Bards have a secondry stat(empathy), that is worthless, it has absolutely no value to bards except as a waste of points in your starting screen.

There are many other issues, but I can't be asked to go through them now...I am waiting to hear why you think bards should be nerfed still?

PS: if you think bards just "turn end on" then you have no clue about instrument wielding classes. IE, 2 slots, three instruments to change between different songs.

The process of turning end song on, equip drum, play end, pulse starts and even if gets interupted the animation continues, so you have the impression that the song has started anyway...if it is interupted and you notice, you start song again(another 5 secs), if it's NP, chances are you will never get end song going.

If you managed to get the song started and sprint around, then decide to change to mana for mages, you need to go to pack, drop flute onto hand space(swapping out the existing instrument) drop hand space back into qb to equip flute, then start mana song.

That process alone makes it totally unrealistic for bards to twist mana/end in battle, because they have the lute equipped for speed.

S

sharon_corr

Ok i understand mids and albs picking on us bards, because we're the thorn up their bum... but i see hibbies complaining about bards?? come on!!!

I have played my little bardie for almost as long as i can remember... and I PLAYED it! That means i hardly ever have been a bot! Yes, i've been powerleveleld a few times, but i still spammed my heal! And i learned how to twist!!

Ok i give you this... bards can be boring sometimes in pve and frustrating in rvr at times... but if this doesnt sound like your particular brand of vodka, remember there is a 'delete' button right there near your characters name... go play something you enjoy.

Healers and Sorcerers have their own problems, rest assured! Having an insta ae stun handy or a quickcast icon, doesnt make the world all shiny and pink!

I enjoy my bardy because she's fun. She's versatile. And she's cute! I have a lot to learn in what concerns the rvr part... but i enjoy it ... even when i'm one-shotted... ok, two shotted cuz now i have about 1100 hps :) !

What bards need is LOVE, not whine!

:)

A

Amadon

Originally posted by sharon_corr
I enjoy my bardy because she's fun. She's versatile. And she's cute! I have a lot to learn in what concerns the rvr part... but i enjoy it ... even when i'm one-shotted... ok, two shotted cuz now i have about 1100 hps :) !

What bards need is LOVE, not whine!

:)
I love playing nol's bard, don't get me wrong
I just took exception to cheesetwat saying bards need to be nerfed

and i'm sure I said bard's need loving in a previous post :p

L

lofff

Re: Re: Re: A question and a tip for all you bards

you play em solely for your realm/guild.

well yes, and i got tied to my drums since bard got over 40;P (rr4 blue con bard mezzing emain was fun :} ) But in the end its the teamplay on rvr what i enjoy, getting a grp to work together and achieve victory against even or larger numbers.. so even tho i enjoy more my champ, i play anything thats needed, and theres a general lack of good bards and droods.

Also, knowing bards got it the toughest among the 3 realms, when u manage to win CC fights, doing everything ur supposed to and more.. it feels good.

O

old.Zanaa

Bard is without any doubt the hardest class in Hib to master in rvr, thus the biggest challenge, reason enough for many. And you can always get a group if want to.

Hardest in game must surely be playing the only Healer in a mid grp having to do both CC and primary healing.

C

Cloak_

Agreed bard is hardest class to play in RvR, hence i stopped playing mine :p

N

-Nuked-

would be intresting to see how much the game changes if they were to give a class such as Warden EoT (end over time) aswell as pbt and just leave bard with mana song and speed song. or give mentalist both PoT and EoT. would make it harder for hibs, but then again i do like a challenge. im probibly talking crap but then again im sure ill get flamed if i am :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom