A post on behalf of Gamah

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
1. he´s not banned, he just can´t post (but still read).

2. I really... REALLY don´t see the "border" he crossed. If jokes about AIDS are a no-no.. are jokes about any other STD ok? Or jokes about death in general? Or Hitler (this Youtube video of Hitler getting mental over his XBox being banned.... did the 3rd Reich victims suffer less than HIV people?) And in another thread, people were merrily posting google recommendations about tubgirl and lemonparty etc.... that was acceptable? Sorry, can´t see any logic there.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Or Hitler (this Youtube video of Hitler getting mental over his XBox being banned.... did the 3rd Reich victims suffer less than HIV people?)

A video of a genocidal maniac re-invented as a short-tempered, cheating, leet kiddie works because the target of it's humour is Hitler and gamers' (that would be us) somewhat irrational obsession with online status/kudos earned through playtime etc.
The video neither mentions nor even aludes to anything funny about the holocaust.
You are way off in attampting to use that as a defense.

Further more
It's also something that the aids thread was not.
It's funny.

Lot's of comedians are offensive
Chris Morris is exceptionally offensive/unsettling at times, but he can get away with it because he is also very clever and funny.

Funny how Gamah uses the words PC
Like it was the PC gone mad brigade that caused his banning.
When in fact it was just a crass, terribly unfunny, schoolboy post he made himself.

If you are gonna pick a contagious disease that millions of people suffer from as the spring board for a joke
You need to make damn sure you have the wit/intelligence to pull it off
coming up with a badly thought out acronym and popping in little puns abouts shaman and leaves doesn't cut it outside of a playground.

a little case in point
YouTube - Brass Eye - Good AIDs vs Bad AIDs

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
The video neither mentions nor even aludes to anything funny about the holocaust.
You are way off in attampting to use that as a defense.
The scene it was take from WAS about the holocaust (respectively the war). And everyone KNOWS it, that´s partly what the entire joke was build on.

Further more
It's also something that the aids thread was not.
It's funny.
That´s your opinion. Others obviously have a different opinion.

If you are gonna pick a contagious disease that millions of people suffer from as the spring board for a joke
You need to make damn sure you have the wit/intelligence to pull it off
So.. it´s OK to make jokes about AIDS if you just manage to hit the sense of humour of the majority of your audience? That´s even more ridiculous.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
The Aids thread was obnoxious.

Take your lumps and be a man about it instead of whining at everyone.

You are responsible for your own actions and thus the consequences.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Just for the record in case I didn´t manage to get my point acroiss, Aiteal, I`m not defending Gamahs thread. I didn´t find it particulary funny or appropriate myself. I merely think that there are A LOT of threads here on FH which are on at least the same level.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
The scene it was take from WAS about the holocaust (respectively the war). And everyone KNOWS it, that´s partly what the entire joke was build on..

look, you are backing a losing horse with this arguement
the video in no way pokes fun at those who died in the holocaust or even WW II itself
it pokes fun at gamers, their obsession with online status, virtual accumulations, even to a certain extent the power of microsoft as some sort of techno-blitzkrieg in the war for consumers in the IT age.

That´s your opinion. Others obviously have a different opinion..

yup
Read the thread
Pip thought it was funny

Perhaps you did too, I dunno.
Which parts made you laugh the hardest
Was it the clever substitution of words in the acronym?
Or the Doc leaf part?
Maybe I'm loosing my sense of humour, but it was just a dull attempt at a joke.

So.. it´s OK to make jokes about AIDS if you just manage to hit the sense of humour of the majority of your audience? That´s even more ridiculous.

No, what I said is you have to be funny and clever if you are going to use AIDS as a spring board for a joke
Jokes about people with AIDs are not funny
Jokes about what AIDs does to people are not funny
etc etc

Jokes about hypocritiocal reactions to AID's suffers like the one in the vid above are however funny, with a nice sideways swipe at TV's greasy men like Kilroy Silk.
Because the brunt of the joke is society's reactions and predjudices, not the aids sufferer or how the disease effects him.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Jokes about people with AIDs are not funny
Jokes about what AIDs does to people are not funny

I find them funny, I find humour in a lot of things aids included. It's just Gamah ain't very funny, I don't care enough to support banning him though. But then I don't like the idea of banning people much anyway especially over something which could have so easily been ignored, but I guess some people find it more fun to Police what people do rather than ignoring them.

EDIT
Gamah getting banned amounts to nothing more than people telling tales as far as I am concerned, enough people told him how they felt at the time. Telling tales (reporting him and endorsing a ban) is just crap IMO.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
You don't speak for me, I find them funny, I find humour in a lot of things aids included.

I never claimed to speak for you
I would have thought that considering we are talking about something as subjective as humour, no one with any sense would assume that I'm claiming to speak for everyone.

But if you think jokes about people suffering from terminal dibilitating diseases are funny, that's your business.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Unfunny humor is a paradox isn't it?

I had a 20 min convo earlier with someone who said it wasn't.

Sorry to go wayyyy off-topic xD

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I never claimed to speak for you

But if you think jokes about people suffering from terminal dibilitating diseases are funny, that's your business.

Edited that out, I got confused with something else I was typing.

Your damn right it's my business.

Nate

FH is my second home
Unfunny humor is a paradox isn't it?

I had a 20 min convo earlier with someone who said it wasn't.

Sorry to go wayyyy off-topic xD

careface?

Sorry couldn't resist :D

preacherboy

Fledgling Freddie
Just for the record in case I didn´t manage to get my point acroiss, Aiteal, I`m not defending Gamahs thread. I didn´t find it particulary funny or appropriate myself. I merely think that there are A LOT of threads here on FH which are on at least the same level.
Read what the mod said it's about the complaints they get that got him banned:(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I don't have a problem with the Hitler game you tube video. I actually know a Holocaust survivor (he must be in his 90s now) - and he still has the concentration camp tattoo the Germans gave him. His children and wife were sent to the ovens.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that the Hitler video is a piss take. Any dictator - eg Sadam Hussein - would be equally amusing.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Read what the mod said it's about the complaints they get that got him banned:(

No - the reports mean it gets spotted more quickly, what he posted is what got him punished.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Tbh it just looks like Gamah was pushing to see how far he could go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom