A phonecall from BT about Broadband

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Just for info, when I was on a "normal" and "up to 8 Mbit" service with Pipex, I connected at a maximum of 3 MBits (iirc). Now I'm with O2 on an unbundled ADSL2+ service, I pay for "a capped 8 MBit service" which actually connects at 8 MBits giving me download speeds of around 850 kbytes per sec which I'm cum-on-face happy with.

I got a phonecall from a pushy BT sales woman on Saturday about Plus Net.

"Great news Mr G, you qualify for a £5.99 a month broadband deal from Plus Net up to 8 megabits".

Now, I was quite surprised to hear this since I couldn't find an ADSL2+ service cheaper than O2 - thank fuck for LLU "up to 24 MBits" in my exchange.

"Oh ?!" I said. I was very sceptical. I fed her a line about not having time to talk about it so I could do my homework. I checked my exchange, and low and behold Plus Net don't have an LLU service in my exchange which equates to some sort of shat RADSL "up to 8 MBits" that I had before with Pipex.

She called back the next day now that I had time to think about it. The conversation went something like:

"This broadband deal sounds good - tell me, how can you offer me this service at such a cheap price if Plus Net don't have an LLU presence or necessary equipment in my exchange?"

"Sir, the equipment is in the exchange".

I said "hmmm, I've checked my exchange and it doesn't have Plus Net as one of the suppliers of an LLU/ADSL2+ service?"

Then she got really ratty "Huh, the equipment is in the exchange! - how on earth can we offer broadband to you if there is no equipment in the exchange?!"

I said "No. You're not understanding. I currently have an LLU/ADSL2+ service from O2 because they have their kit in my exchange, which means that I can get up to a theoretical 24 MBits should I chose to pay for it - I currently pay for up to 8 MBits which is what I get because my estimated max speed is around 12 MBits."

She then admitted "well, I'm not a technical person so I can't answer that".

I then asked "is this a capped service?".

She said "yes it is sir, capped to 10 GB per month, which is equivalent to LOL number of songs".

At this point, I was seriously tempted to say something like "are these loseless FLAC compressed songs, or MP3 encoded at 128 kbits", but left it out ;). I just said "ahhh, I need a capless service, bye".

I did some further digging, it seems that Ofcom changed the rules depending who is in your exchange so that other providers can offer cheaper broadband. I'm in a "market 3" exchange which is why Plus Net is so cheap. It would still mean a 10 GB limit and I'd probably be on a sucky connection speed.

Anyway, anyone else had these calls?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Plus Net will give you the biggest AIDS you have ever had.

My mate is with them and it even makes me cry on how bad they are.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
As with everything you tend to get what you pay for. Be/o2 broadband seem to be the rare exception, which should always be treasured.

I still can't believe people that pay for BT/Tiscali/Carphone Whorehouse/Orange broadband, it's shocking the service they offer!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
IPSC, WBC, 21CN, LLU, ADSL2+ ... all lovely acronyms.

Totally pointless in my case coz my exchange is Market 1 (BT is the ONLY provider of BB services, no LLU, no cable).

I've found out the hard way that you get what you pay for.
My mate is on Tiscali and gets the peak time slowdown but pays a cheap price for his service.
I'm with Aquiss (an Entanet partner) and pay a premium for my service, but it's *SO* much better than it was with Tiscali. I lasted 5 weeks with them 3 years ago.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
There are always a few good ISPs out there, until they get oversubscribers/go tits up and then you have to move on.

I've gone through a few :) red hot ant> madasafish> BT broadband ( way before llu stuff sorry guys :p yeeeeears ago on their 256mb adsl.. when it first came out) > Pipex ( 512 I think, then 1mb then 2 mb then fuckem they fucked their existing customers over on ADSL2 so fuck you pipex glad you died you ***** ) > Be.

I can't remember who I was with before red hot ant tbh ah the joys of 14.4k>28.8k>33k>56k !.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I can't remember who I was with before red hot ant tbh ah the joys of 14.4k>28.8k>33k>56k !.

Ah yes I remember those days! Running out to buy a new modems to increase my speeds!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
That Plusnet shit is £6 a month and then £11 after 3 months if you dont live in a specific area.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Barrysworld ffs.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We don't get anyone trying to sell us random junk over the phone any more my wife signed us up to that list thingy that stops them. I used to love wasting as much of their time as possible :(

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Anyway, anyone else had these calls?

Well, I had a call from BT last week about broadband. It didn't get much further than me telling them I was currently with O2. They pretty much said "bye" and hung up the phone after that...

Same sort of response I got from T-Mobile's customer care department when I told them I wanted my PAC code to go to O2 so I could get an iPhone. That was a pretty swift call too :)

Trem

Well, I had a call from BT last week about broadband. It didn't get much further than me telling them I was currently with O2. They pretty much said "bye" and hung up the phone after that...

Is that not because BT own some of O2 along with that Spanish company?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Didn't it used to be BT/Cellnet which then became O2?

Did BT completly sell off Cellnet?

Trem

Didn't it used to be BT/Cellnet which then became O2?

Did BT completly sell off Cellnet?

It used to be Genie I think. Thats who I started off with and they gave me my great number that I still have today 07736312345.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
It used to be Genie I think. Thats who I started off with and they gave me my great number that I still have today <snipped>

You LIE! :eek:

All i got was someone breathing heavily when I called it :(

(may be lying)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom