A-level results today....

O

old.ignus

Ha a suit in a uniform. So while you're tied to your computer screen I'll be driving across the world in a big truck full of bombs, miles away from the enemy mind you, apply for a commision and learn to fly helicopters. Bo Selecta!!!

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by old.ignus
...I'll be driving across the world in a big truck full of bombs, miles away from the enemy mind you...
International arms dealer? :)

E

echo

Originally posted by old.ignus
You going in as a rupert? I'll be off to RAF Halton soon hopefully.

RAF Halton's a bizarre place, but the bar's cheap enough, and that's what matters!

O

old.Fweddy

Originally posted by Cdr
oooh rotary, dont fancy fast jets?

Helicopters are way cooler than jets.

And I still don't know my results :(

C

Cdr

heh

The only Heli I'd like to fly is the Apache - but the RAF havent got any of them :(

But, you cant beat going 400 knots at 200 feet :)

O

old.ignus

when you're flying fixed wing you only need skill when you're landing, taking off and evading the enemy. In a rotary wing you need skill all the time.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Cdr
heh

The only Heli I'd like to fly is the Apache - but the RAF havent got any of them :(

But, you cant beat going 400 knots at 200 feet :)

The army have, sadly they haven't learn't how to fly them properly as yet sp most probably won't be in service until the end of this year ;)

I would prefer to fly a Spitfire :)

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by Embattle

which one, I think the supermarine was the best model personally, but I'd prefer a mustang, you can fly further and faster.

C

Cdr

The army have, sadly they haven't learn't how to fly them properly as yet sp most probably won't be in service until the end of this year ;)

Exactly, but I'm not joining the army :D

And you cant go straight into the Army Air Corp, you have to do a tour as a grunt before you can apply.

Although the Mustang was a better plane (made better by the British, of course), I'd rather go for a Spitfire - mk.1. Why I hear you cry? Cos I like the looks of the spit more than the P51. Such a sexy looking aircraft.

O

old.ignus

I have a third cousin in the army air corps, he flys helicopters.

C

Cdr

Aye, if I did want to go into the army, the Army Air Corps is what I'd like to do - the apache is such a lovely chopper.

S

Scouse

I've got a lovely chopper.

Or so ignus was telling me earlier :eek7:

C

Cdr

mehh

I knew someone would make that joke

I poo-poo you and your chopper.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by old.Fweddy
Helicopters are way cooler than jets.

It depends on the situation, and how long ago you've watched Top Gun. :D Dogfighting must be hellova exciting, but popping up over a hill, and letting a barrage of missiles out into some terrorist compound and then gunning them down with machine guns would be hellova cool :) (IF YOU DONT GET BLOWN UP FIRST)

The aptitude tests and all the interviews you have to do make being a jet pilot for the RAF quite hard, 2 friends of mine applied, one just managed to get an interview for being a navigator i think, the other is going to be an air traffic controller afaik.

S

Scouse

Originally posted by Cdr
mehh

I knew someone would make that joke

I poo-poo you and your chopper.

My chopper comes nowhere NEAR poo.

(I predict that you'd predicted that one too...) :)

A

-adz-

Noooooooooooooooo don't do CS at Kent you'll die!!

adz (BSc CS @ UKC :O )

O

old.Fweddy

Originally posted by Meatballs
Dogfighting must be hellova exciting

How much aerial combat is dogfighting and how much is firing a missile at a dot eight miles away that your HUD has to circle so you can see it?

C

Cdr

Although you still get trained to use guns, and dogfighting techniques (called tail chasing in training), the chances of you actually using it in a modern conflict are slim.

You can kinda see this because originally the Eurofighter wasnt fitted with a cannon (so it kinda lost its dogfighting ability).

But even so, you're still a sitting duck in a heli :D

And nothing can be more fun than doing 400 knots at 200 feet.

O

old.Fweddy

Originally posted by Cdr
But even so, you're still a sitting duck in a heli :D

You can be a sitting duck in a jet, it all depends on what you're up against.

And doing 150 knots at 40 feet is most interesting.

C

Cdr

I'd rather do 600+ knots at 100ft :p

pfft, you'd get told off for doing that :)

True about being a sitting duck in a jet - esp if you have the Yanks on your side. But I think overall you're much safer.

I'm not saying that I dont like helis - infact, I'd love to fly them.

But, in the RAF - almost all the pilots go in to be fast jets - and they only become heli or multi-engined when they get chopped :(

They wont admit to this, but you ask them who they hate the most, and I bet you they say the 'Fast jet wankers' :)

O

old.ignus

Getting really nervous now :puke:

No I'd prefer a heli, touching down and letting a bunch of grunts jump off then climbing to cover them, sounds ace. I tell you what, lets all agree that harriers are the coolest, hovering gracefully and going full pelt at 100ft everyones a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom