A-level results today....

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Scouse
1- No. It doens't mean your clever. Any monkey can get a degree, and as we've already demonstrated - straight A's at A-Level aren't too hard nowadays with a little application (considering 1 in 5 people get an 'A' in any given subject that shouldn't be too hard).

3. All those things you've learned at uni. Couldn't you have taken vocational courses in them? Got industry-recognised qualifications????

I hate to say it. I got my degree - realised that once you start working it's both experience, WHO you know and a little luck that counts - not to mention having the balls to do things that other people wouldn't do.

Oh. And they're easy ;)

• 1-5 is still the top 20%.
  • Good experience is probably better than a degree, but when you're 16/18 you have neither.
  • You can get into some uni's with an E etc, and the unis set their own standards for 1:1s 2:1s or whatever as far as I'm aware, so the quality/difficulty of a degree is going to differ greatly wherever you go.

D

Daffeh

Originally posted by nylex23
Hehe, well I applied but didn't get in. I want to change my Comp Sci course at Birmingham to either Physics or Nat Sci :).

Im just about to enter my third year of CS at B'ham.
Natural Science is pretty good here, as is Physics too:)

D

Daffeh

yup its good, lots and lots of Java though (main language throughout the course). Theres a chan on quakenet where a group of us chat, #bhamcs if u wanna pop in.

T

Tom

Anybody can get a degree these days. If you want my advice, train for a career in something which people will always need. I have a friend who is a time served electrician. He changes his job every 2-3 years when he gets bored, never, ever has any problems getting a new job either.

Media degrees get you a first class job as a runner, earning £12k a year - yay for degrees. :rolleyes:

I've said for a long time now, if work dries up for me, I'll train to be a plumber. When did you ever see a plumber out of work?

J

Jonny_Darko

It's not supposed to be insulting. What it is is a fact.

Bull, and indeed, crap.

What is a fact? Maybe if you'd applied yourself a bit more at uni, you'd know. ;) Fact isn't Scouse's opinion, fact is fact. Cold, hard, proven fact. If this is a fact, then why are the country's most learned people arguing the toss about whether exams are easier or not every time I turn on the telly? Why don't they just ask you, you seem to have proof?

What it is, is your opinion.

However...

And, frankly, that was a million times more important in terms of my social development than studying hard at my degree would have been.

Bingo! Never a truer word spoken. Personally I could only afford to stay for a year at Uni so dropped out in the first summer, and I didn't even live on campus for that year.

As a result of never having done the Uni thing, I'm a social retard with fewer friends than fingers and absolutely no idea how to talk to people generally.

You don't need to go to Uni to learn social skills of course, but it's probably the best place for it. If I'd have stayed I think I'd be a different person in that respect.

Now over to Chef from South Park for some advice. "Kids, there's a time and a place for everything, and it's called College."

N

nylex23

Originally posted by Daffeh
yup its good, lots and lots of Java though (main language throughout the course). Theres a chan on quakenet where a group of us chat, #bhamcs if u wanna pop in.

Nice, I like Java (if I don't get to change course, would still be happy doing CS) :).

T

Tom

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
You don't need to go to Uni to learn social skills of course, but it's probably the best place for it. If I'd have stayed I think I'd be a different person in that respect.

Want to learn social skills? Work in a pub for a few weeks.

O

old.ignus

Originally posted by Tom.
Want to learn social skills? Work in a pub for a few weeks.

Couldn't agree more, did me the world of good.

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by old.Fweddy
Am I the only one that switched to Psychology because the classes were 90% female?

Nope. Sociology too?

C

Cdr

Originally posted by old.ignus
Fuck uni I'm off in the RAF, we study a specific trade and get to shoot guns while we're doing it, I'm determined to become an officer one day, and when I leave I get the bollocks of a pension and military training guarantees you a decent job.

Was that a dig at me, or are you actually going in the RAF?

S

Scouse

Originally posted by Meatballs
You can get into some uni's with an E etc, and the unis set their own standards for 1:1s 2:1s or whatever as far as I'm aware, so the quality/difficulty of a degree is going to differ greatly wherever you go.

To a point I agree here. But I will say that some shit Universities have courses that are top notch. - Quality depends on what a particular Universities speciality is - eg: Bradford Uni has the best Archaological Sciences degree in the country and is shit hot on Civil and Structural Engineering. Leeds has a cracking applied sciences slant. You'll find doctors in one Uni, vets in another....

What the problem now is that because GCSE's and A-Levels are progressively demanding less from their students Universities are having to drop the standards of their degrees just so they still have students in the second and third years.....

I've met hardly any people who've dropped out of Uni. I think I know 2 - one of which left because of family reasons - the other because she had difficulty with basic addition and subtraction, emotional problems and she was ginger.

I mean, if they let ginger people into university what the FUCK is this world coming to?????????!

/hmmm. Got bored with my own post there....

S

SilverHood

hmm, thought I wasn't going to get accepted...

needed BCE to get in, got CD (and a fail) and 2 AS ones takes as extras...

so I called them up, nice chat and....
Bournemouth University, B50 G503 Accepted Firm 11 Aug Sep 03

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :cool:

on a side note, either the marking was way off on my business stidies paper (BUS6), or I did unbelievably shite this year

92/120 last year.... (4 marks from an A), to 36/120 this year.... (fail)

anyway, it matters F-ALL now, cos I get to go to my first choice...

shame about the usual lectures from my parrents on failing physics though.... just cos they have degrees in physics doesn't mean I have to be good at it :)

N

nylex23

My UCAS thing hasn't been updated yet, though Bham said they were accepting me :/.

F

FatBusinessman

I mean, if they let ginger people into university what the FUCK is this world coming to?????????!
There's a ginger guy at Cambridge.
He got a 2:1 in his first year.
Just goes to show, you can never tell :)

P

pcg79

AS Level - AAAB :D

I want to do a maths degree - dont tell me thats worthless (please.. dont)

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by pcg79
AS Level - AAAB :D

I want to do a maths degree - dont tell me thats worthless (please.. dont)

Nice grades - well done mate :)

I'd say with those grades you'd be able to do a maths degree at a pretty damn good University (it'd certainly be worth your while applying to Oxbridge), which would be far from worthless.

Although I haven't really explored the job prospects of a Maths degree, so don't take my word as gospel - ask for advice at your college careers service.

P

pcg79

Cambridge - maybe ill see you there ;p

And my maths teacher pretty much said you could pick yer job (providing you dont need particular skills[like a medicine degree])

S

Scouse

Personally - I wouldn't pick maths if I had an option.

I'd pick something that requires a lot of maths but is geared towards something more vocational - maybe some sort of electrical or structural engineering - fluid mechanics is a bitch but if you're good at maths you should breeze it...

Dam design??? :)

L

leggy

Scouse has hit the old nail.

I did a 5 year electronic/engineering masters degree a while back. Very heavily maths oriented. But it isn't pure theory, it was usefuly applied.

C

Clowneh!

Not A Levels, but I'm doing those online exams at CISCO
Chapter 1: 96%
Chapter 2: 95%
Chapter 3: 100%
Good start to Semester 1 ;)

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by pcg79
Cambridge - maybe ill see you there ;p

Maybe, you never know.

Queens' College - wonderful place :)

C

Cdr

lol

I'm a forgetful bugger :)

My bad.

Just remember to salute me when you see me, and also remember I can dock u a weeks wages ;)

O

old.ignus

Why what rank do you hold.

I'm still a civi for now so fuck you you great big arse biscuit, you smell like a Frenchman and your bottom is shaped like an American.

No offense like but I may not get to do that again.

Oh and I have relatives in the RAF in high places, literally.

C

Cdr

hehe, I dont as yet :D

I'm about to go thro the recruitment process. Cranwell etc.

And as for the insults, I shall have my revenge......oh yes.....I will bwahahahahahahaaaa!

Having family already in, the RAF like that, they like that a lot.

O

old.ignus

You going in as a rupert? I'll be off to RAF Halton soon hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom