A hacking incident again, this time, nothing will be restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lacroix

Originally posted by Jupitus

Edit: Rule 1 = Common sense.

I guess this is a matter of personal opinion ... ;)

Common sense ranks high with me too, but my personal rule 1 would be: Maintain personal integrity ... :p ("be true to yourself")
And yes, this can override externally imposed rules ... ;)

:p

Just to show that ppl have different priorities, attitudes and expectations...
Obviously you are perfectly entitled to your view, so please do not understand my post to mean I am criticising your pov. I think I just reacted to what I personally would see as a slightly "moralistic" tone (not sure if this word exists in English though :( ) ... - never can resist that challenge ... :) - if it's not meant like that from your side, then there is no further issue for me ... :D

/curtsey
V.

/edited for grammar

L

Lambsbreed

I got abit conserned about this issue when a guildie of mine experienced the same.. so i wrote to GOA incase they had some words that could comfort me: here is what was said:

Subject
Account security issues.

----------------------------------
Customer (My name) 04/07/2003 05:11 PM
Hello.

Recently i became aware that my friends account had become hacked, all his characters was deleted and on the characters slots was new characters made(due to your announcement that characters cannot be restored IF they create another char on the same slot).

By knowing this friend of mine, i became awfully aware about that this can happen to _anyone_, including me. So i want to Opt out some questions that is running through my mind.

IF I _never ever_ give my password away to _anyone whatsoever_. Can you assure me with 100% certainity that i never will log in one day and notice all my characters are deleted and overwritten? with 100% i mean 100%.

If yes; What can you tell me to make me certain that this is true?
afaik, noone is safe from all hacking attempts.

if no; What options do _I_ as a paying customer have to restore/secure my characters from exactly that?

I allso want to know the following:

-How detailed are the account-logs you store for a possible court-involvemenet where evidence is needed? As you know hacking IS punished the same way as burglary in most countries.

-Do you share these logs/evidence with the victim(s) whenever such an incidence happens?

-What steps do you as a company take to track down the person(s) who does this kind of felony?

I have allso noticed that this not only happened to my friend in question, but allso happened to a few other persons i know, and the procedure to delete the characters/overwrite was the same on each case.

Can a possible sollution be IP-Specific login? Permanent Character-locks(with key thrown away)?

Steps like that would be a reasonable way to give us customers some options in securing our account, due to the fact you put the blame on us whenever someone gets unlucky and other people get their account-information, in either legal or illegal ways.

Yours Sincerly

Me

--------------------------------------------

Response (CS) 04/07/2003 05:18 PM
Hello,

The only information I can give you about the security system we are using is its name HDM5.
About your computer security, you should not keep your password into your computer (e mail or txt file). Make note of it and erase every trace on your computer. As well do not authorise windows to remmeber your password. And finally use a firewall. This should prevent any hack.
Yours sincerely,

European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

-------------------------------------------------

Customer (My name) 04/07/2003 06:29 PM

Answer not sufficient.

Does this mean you don't have any sufficient answers to my questions or simply you don't know?

If you don't know, please forward this to anyone who might have the neccessary information to answer my questions.

quote: "The only information I can give you about the security system we are using is its name HDM5.", can i assume that you don't have _any_ other meassures to help out whenever someone gets hacked?

As this is a matter that _can_ affect anyone, i believe i'm entitled to know what you can do when the "what if"-scenarion ever occures.

"About your computer security, you should not keep your password into your computer (e mail or txt file). Make note of it and erase every trace on your computer. As well do not authorise windows to remmeber your password. And finally use a firewall. This should prevent any hack."

My computer security is not an issue here, but yes, i do have a firewall, and no i don't have this password stored anywhere on my computer behind the firewall. Even THEN it is not 100% safe that noone sniff/steal my password one way or another, and yet another point comes to my mind.. what about the other 99% of the people out there that cannot afford either a hardware or software firewall?

-----------------------------------------------

Response (CS) 04/09/2003 10:53 AM
Hello,

If you 've got a firewall on your computer, there is no reason for you to worry. We remind you the terms of our EULA, which are clear in this matter :
"You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and are responsible for any damage, harm, lost or deleted characters, etc. resulting from your disclosure or allowing the disclosure of any password or from use by any person of your password to gain access to your Account."

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

All of a sudden it comes to my mind that they does not care about what happens to any poor soul that gets hacked, aslong as they believe they are released from all responsibility.

I see no indication that they actively wants to help out in these situations.

This was their way of saying; If you get hacked, you are fucked, and we don't have to do shite coz it says so in the EULA/CoC.

Please anyone step forward and defend their position about this.

My reaction to this and other stuff that happened lately: I have stopped my subscription on my daoc account until they change their routines on this. I will not risk the unforeseen when a year++ of gameplay can just go poof and they don't care, so my account stays closed until I see a significant change in their alternative security routines.

Peace out.

G

Garnet

IMO they dont give a rats ass about anyone. All they care about is $$$ £££ %%% etc.

S

SilverHood

sometimes, you wish they'd bend the rules a little, to make a player, and the comunity happy.

though I suppose they have to set the line somewhere :/

S

sieben_dapoet

Originally posted by SoulFly Amarok
Nopes :mad:

Lambsbreed, Great post, thanks.

i saw a lvl 17 lochleyssa cleric {however you spell it, my apologies} a couple of days ago so i guessed loch had decided to simply start again ?

whether your account was hacked or you gave your password out, its still a shame what happened to you. I know you have your lovely guild to help you, but feel free to call on my limited talents if you need a hand getting to 50 {and you could help me as well} ;)

K

khaliah

Same story, Ys/Hib

Minotossse, a pillar of the community there, been hacked.

for those with an interest, french forum http://forums.jeuxonline.info/showthread.php?threadid=182361

A couple of weeks ago, same thing happened to the GM of a top 5 guild on Albion Ys. (Qiramond if i recall)

All this is making people incredibly edgy... one thing everything agrees on is the fact there are 4 character deletion save slots shouldnt have been made public, and that the whole deletion process just needs overhauling

B

Belsameth

pvp19990208.gif

couldn't resist...and no, this is not intended as a flame toward either GOA or Lochlyessa...

F

Fafnir

A few old guildmates got hacked a few months ago, lost all their dosh, but atleast their chars where still there.

E

Esoteric

If the above is all true there are serious problems afoot.

O

old.pala hellraiser

Yeah I must admit I thought it was kinda stupid to tell us that they have back ups of the last 4 characters deleted.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

~wonders if the '4 deleted chars' doodad has been extended to 8 since SI was released~

~doubts it~

Personally, I think it was great of them to tell us that they can only restore the last 4 characters that were deleted because when I want to destroy someone's account completely and totally need to delete all their chars, make four new ones and then delete those four. ~sigh~ If only destroying the world was as easy.

<disclaimer>

The above post contained large amounts of irony. Not to be taken internally or seriously.

</disclaimer>

M

mirieth

Welcome back, Loch. :)

How did they restore Loch, by the way? Like just nekkid or with cash, rr and crafting skill in-tact?

T

Tigerius

WP GOA, now do the.. 3.. people in our guild hacked in the last week :)

S

SoulFly Amarok

Originally posted by mirieth
Welcome back, Loch. :)

How did they restore Loch, by the way? Like just nekkid or with cash, rr and crafting skill in-tact?

Everything :clap: :clap: :clap:

A

Aurelius LH

Excellent news!

Welcome back Loch, and well done GoA!

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by SoulFly Amarok
Everything :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yes, but you'll forget this by the end of the weekend and find something else to whine at GOA about, no doubt.

:flame:

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom