A hacking incident again, this time, nothing will be restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brannor McThife

<hides behind a rock and mumbles...>
Isn't it strange, that most acocunt problems like this have happened to IRC people?

kr0n did it to me.
Someone did it to Blaien.
Someone did it to Dookie.
Someone has now done it to Loch.

Hmm. 3 of those 4 involve SotL.

:flame:

-G

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Nah, blaien was never in sotl :p
Blaen on the other hand was.

W

walkerb

Originally posted by Sarnat
Unfortunately I don't log public channels. But there are people in my guild who have played Loch so it's not like she's been keeping the pass in a safe.

so you admit the guys in your guild was the ones that hacked her?

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by walkerb
so you admit the guys in your guild was the ones that hacked her?
Now now Walker, don't go insinuating things.

<throws a rock from inside his glass house>

-G

O

old.pala hellraiser

Hmm I can't say I know you loch, but I really hope you get your chars back one way or another, even IF you did allow other people to access your account and it turns out to be your fault (though I aren't saying that). Its good to see everyone giving support over this issue, even if it was due to sharing account information, lets face it many people have/still do it.

Whether GOA can restore your characters I don't know, if they could that easily I am pretty sure they would have done from the start as I have deleted chars purposely before then changed my mind, and they have restored them for me.

If they can't then I hope they 'create' your main chars again for you with the same speccing, recorded rps, crafting skills etc, and your epic armor.

Kemor has said that if they do this, they have a level-money ratio so at least you can go from there.

If you had loads of cash and great items then unlucky :(

Anyway all the best, I just think its really sad what dickheads people can be.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by old.pala hellraiser
Its good to see everyone giving support over this issue, even if it was due to sharing account information, lets face it many people have/still do it.
<snip>
I have deleted chars purposely before then changed my mind
<snip>
I just think its really sad what dickheads people can be.

... quite :rolleyes:

J

Jupitus

He's saying it is good to support people who break the CoC by account sharing and then tie up the CSRs' or GMs' time insisting on a character restoration when it goes wrong.

For the record, I am not saying that is what has happened to Loch - there is mixed information here about whether she shared her account so I'm reserving judgement on that matter :)

S

StewieG

Hackers should get lined up and shot 1 by 1 ... or just get slapped with a trout .. u pick

L

lacroix

Hm, this seems to be turning into a "who shares his/her account doesn't deserve any better treatment" thread which I suppose is relevant in terms of enforcement of rights (on GOA's or the player's rights if something goes wrong .... ) - but this is just a legal "technicality" imo ... :p

Could enter into endless - and pretty futile - philosophical debate on CoC, GOA, my customer rights etc. , but I think the main issue imho isn't this discussion, but the fact that SOMEONE did something pretty nasty to Loch, no matter how you look at it (and yes, it's just a game etc.. ;) ).

So I feel we should really give her break on the "did she" or "didn't she" issue .. it's the mindset of ppl who did this to her that we should all be concerned about, ingame and rl, at least that's my view ... :(

Over and out on this subject now

/edited for grammar

N

-Nxs-

Well, i'll admit it - ive had 2 DAOC accounts, and only using the one - so deleted all characters, renewed for 6 months then gave this empty account to a friend to try out the game, see if they liked it - after all we need to help get some more english players.

And what happens.... well my friend now has a L50 opps :) asked GOA if the account could be transfered to them as it was empty when he used it... also the game/account was not sold or traded, it was given freely.

The answer back was pretty much, this is still in breach of EULA, no support is given to accounts that are traded/sold/given to others. So to sum up this thread,

if the account WAS hacked then I truly am sorry and really sympathise with your problem please GOA help restore the characters.

if the password was given to a person.... any person... not necesarily the 'hacker' then I firmly believe GOA should uphold this policy and not offer any support.

O

old.pala hellraiser

Err Jupitus don't be a dick, I am not saying its good to support people who break the CoC, what I said was, its good to see people offering there support for Loch, dosn't matter how it happened its a shame it did, shows there are some decent people about.

The reason I pointed out I have deleted chars then changed my mind was to back up why I said if they could restore the chars I am sure they would have done because they did for me no problem.

And the dickhead statement was referring to the 'hacker' or person that deleted loch's chars which was being a complete ass. When writing on here I was showing my support, I didn't write here for you to be a smartass taking quotes from what I have said and put them together to say something else.

But then the people who have a brain knew that.

G

Generic Poster

I am not saying its good to support people who break the CoC, what I said was, its good to see people offering there support for Loch, dosn't matter how it happened its a shame it did

You're contradicting yourself there.

Consider this, if someone lent out their login/pass and months later had their characters deleted. Then came up with some fantastical tale of being hacked and posted threads directing anger at GOA for not restoring the characters, which results in a wave of protests and abuse thrown at GOA by other players, should GOA give in to the mob and restore the characters?

As the ancient saying goes - Keep your friends close, and your login details closer.

O

old.pala hellraiser

No not a contradiction, I am against breaking the rules however I am saying even if this is the case, its good people are offering to help, ie people were offering cash/items if the char was restored with the correct level only etc. Also I think this will make people think twice before handing out their account information...

J

Jupitus

Err Jupitus don't be a dick, I am not saying its good to support people who break the CoC, what I said was, its good to see people offering there support for Loch, dosn't matter how it happened its a shame it did, shows there are some decent people about.

The reason I pointed out I have deleted chars then changed my mind was to back up why I said if they could restore the chars I am sure they would have done because they did for me no problem.

And the dickhead statement was referring to the 'hacker' or person that deleted loch's chars which was being a complete ass. When writing on here I was showing my support, I didn't write here for you to be a smartass taking quotes from what I have said and put them together to say something else.

But then the people who have a brain knew that.

I think you will find that the people with the brains will understand exactly what I put in my last post.

Don't call me a dick unless you really want a flame war. I'll pull you to pieces.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by Damini
Jupitus!

I'm sorry Dam... I am slowly turning to the dark side ;)

Edit: I'll wink at you Dam, but I meant what I said.

O

old.TeaSpoon

Originally posted by Jupitus
I meant what I said.

Nice to see somebody stand their ground. I havn't seen a decent declaration of intention around here or real life for a long time.

Sorry, thats a rather twised part of raising there. Its all to do with I'll stand my ground for certian things...

Anyway.......Its a shame whats happend to Loch, nice player, here's hoping to she gets her character back.

O

old.pala hellraiser

ROFL!! Ohh a flame war LOL, grow up.

This is the last I am saying on this so feel free to say whatever you want, I posted here to show my opinion and my opinion is that I seriously doubt its ever going to be proven that the account was hacked/borrowed whatever so all that can be done is benefit of the doubt being given and GOA helping Loch which I think they would have done in some form or another even before this post was created.

As the ancient saying goes - Keep your friends close, and your login details closer.

yeah and also innocent till proven guilty :)

The account may well have been hacked if this is the case any of us could logon to find are chars no longer exist which lets face it you would be extremely pissed off.

And Jupitus I don't have a problem with you I am old enough to not want to have bitch fighting over the Internet.

O

old.TeaSpoon

And Jupitus I don't have a problem with you I am old enough to not want to have bitch fighting over the Internet.

Snail mail? Text wars? Maybe even phone each other? :D

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by old.TeaSpoon
Nice to see somebody stand their ground. I havn't seen a decent declaration of intention around here or real life for a long time.

Sorry, thats a rather twised part of raising there. Its all to do with I'll stand my ground for certian things...

Anyway.......Its a shame whats happend to Loch, nice player, here's hoping to she gets her character back.

Thanks Tea... regarding Lochy.. if she hasn't shared her password then I also hope Kemor can manage to restore her character, but if she has I actually hope she loses it, purely as an example to all, the others who do share accounts (reason being what I have previously said: the time it takes for the support team to investigate all the false claims of hacking/restore when they could be answering genuine problems).

I'm simple, in that I believe in abiding by the rules, respecting the fact that others around you will be doing the same, and holding faith in that. Probably naiive in this environment, but if the faithful among us all give up what hope is there for the rest?

I love this game. For me it has been a total blast, taking up more than a year of my life with more entertainment value than anything else, anywhere. I don't like people fucking with that enjoyment. They are, and it makes me angry.

O

old.pala hellraiser

Hmm said I wouldn't post again but yeah I agree with you there Jupitus, but if even if she did lose her chars through her own fault I still think they should restore them, this whole issue is enough to make people realise how stupid it is and make them think twice.

J

Jupitus

I seriously doubt its ever going to be proven that the account was hacked/borrowed whatever so all that can be done is benefit of the doubt being given and GOA helping Loch which I think they would have done in some form or another even before this post was created.

... and which I am sure they are trying to do.

... as am I (older in fact ;)). Please don't call me a dick, though.

Take care, goodnight.

L

lacroix

Originally posted by Jupitus

I'm simple, in that I believe in abiding by the rules, respecting the fact that others around you will be doing the same, and holding faith in that. ...

Damn, didn't mean to get involved again but this just makes me wondering ... - you never j-walk, exceed speed limits in your car etc.? Abiding by the rules all the time, indeed... ?!

Gosh, .... ! :p

To quote someone famous (and not sure about the "correct" English expression, it's been all freely translated million of times, though, so I guess it will be reasonably close ;) ): He/she that is without sin should throw the first stone ... ;)

/curtsey
V.

J

Jupitus

Hmm said I wouldn't post again but yeah I agree with you there Jupitus, but if even if she did lose her chars through her own fault I still think they should restore them, this whole issue is enough to make people realise how stupid it is and make them think twice.

Bah cross posting... I disagree, pala, because if they restore one character then the screaming kiddies will be out if they don't do the next one. 'SotL are favourites' echoes around the room and suddenley all hell breaks loose. If my account got genuinely hacked, I'd shrug and walk away because, on one or two occasions, I have let a trusted friend have my account password in order to move me to a particular location ready for an event some time so I could be ready straight from work. I wouldn't expect any special treatment of any kind, and nor should Lochy.

A question of principals, I guess.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by lacroix
Damn, didn't mean to get involved again but this just makes me wondering ... - you never j-walk, exceed speed limits in your car etc.? Abiding by the rules all the time, indeed... ?!

Gosh, .... ! :p

To quote someone famous (and not sure about the "correct" English expression, it's been all freely translated million of times, though, so I guess it will be reasonably close ;) ): He/she that is without sin should throw the first stone ... ;)

/curtsey
V.

j-walking isn't an offence in the UK as far as I know, but yes, I do speed in my car, and yes (read up) I have at a technical level broken the CoC (fyi anyone can make a forum id called Jupitus, doesn't link it to Jupitus ingame though).

Would I waste CSR or GM time trying to get a character restored if it could have been my own fault? No.

Edit: Rule 1 = Common sense.

O

old.pala hellraiser

To be honest I dislike most of SOTL lol :) ok now I am gonna be flamed to hell but sod it. Yes I see your point will have to be treated the same way, but from my point of view if I was hacked and my chars were lost I would be furious because I have never given out my account details.

J

Jupitus

To be honest I dislike most of SOTL lol :) ok now I am gonna be flamed to hell but sod it. Yes I see your point will have to be treated the same way, but from my point of view if I was hacked and my chars were lost I would be furious because I have never given out my account details.

... and in that case I would totally support maximum CSR/GM resource being put into restoring your characters.

Remember the background right now - people bitching left right and centre about poor customer support? Researching issues like this and restoring characters takes CSR/GM time. It should only be done in genuine cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom