A Guide to Melee Rangers 1.02 [UPDATED 27/09/2005]

anioal

Fledgling Freddie
Tallen said:
Pretty important if you don't have the luxury of a buffbot (some Rangers do play without them believe it or not :)).

I must admit to having high path for a long time now and it really works for me, without a bot I would never go under 36 pathfinding. To be honest without a full set of yellow buffs, I'd feel nekkid :)

indeed, my ranger gone upto 6L7 w/o a buffbot but with a solid 40pf and some str/con charges from time to time. swaping some items to get 25% buff bonus while rebuffing is worth the trouble.

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
If you plan to play a melee ranger you WILL need buffs if you want to compete unless you zerg or just leech off others fights.

anioal

Fledgling Freddie
Solari said:
If you plan to play a melee ranger you WILL need buffs if you want to compete unless you zerg or just leech off others fights.

buffs alone are not enough, the melee ranger also need a well done template, ML9 soj if he chose the solo path and, even more important, a decent RR to afford ip, purge, pd, mos, aom, mop, eventually some augs.

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
anioal said:
buffs alone are not enough, the melee ranger also need a well done template, ML9 soj if he chose the solo path and, even more important, a decent RR to afford ip, purge, pd, mos, aom, mop, eventually some augs.

I'm finding it hard to see the points of your posts by now tbh.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Solari said:
THIS SHOULD NOT BE TRAINED -This thread is ONLY about pure melee rangers and not hybrids

Some food for thought (hope I have got this right).

Rangers Recurve damage is based on the fighter damage table, while our melee is based on the rogue damage table.

If you have a good MoS, you can often pop an infili or SB at a decent range and get off 1-2 rapid fire arrows before melee (plus a potential dot) instead of charging in (time spent inflicting no damage), inflicting significantly higher damage compared to your melee openers.

I think ignoring recurve beyond autotrain is something open to debate, even for a pure melee ranger (speccing bow in this way does not make you a hybrid, its simply for opening damage) and should not be dismissed so lightly.

Like to see if anyone has any info from the Wyrd (sp?) tests on this so it can be balanced with opening melee style damage to see if this is indeed a viable option.

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
Tallen said:
Some food for thought (hope I have got this right).

Rangers Recurve damage is based on the fighter damage table, while our melee is based on the rogue damage table.

If you have a good MoS, you can often pop an infili or SB at a decent range and get off 1-2 rapid fire arrows before melee (plus a potential dot) instead of charging in (time spent inflicting no damage), inflicting significantly higher damage compared to your melee openers.

I think ignoring recurve beyond autotrain is something open to debate, even for a pure melee ranger (speccing bow in this way does not make you a hybrid, its simply for opening damage) and should not be dismissed so lightly.

Like to see if anyone has any info from the Wyrd (sp?) tests on this so it can be balanced with opening melee style damage to see if this is indeed a viable option.

1: Training higher than mos3 is a bit of a waste if you want to run this melee concept. You will see people far enough off to avoid a PA and maybe even land an opening style yourself.

Speccing bow would mean 35 for rapid, in which you will lose out on your melee abilities and you will need every last bit of this. Having rapid fire and crit shot won't land you more than 1-2 arrows and imo the lack of that damage is greatly negated by the fact that you can land your sidechain as an opener instead. (Eg. vs. visible chars.)

And this is a melee concept. If you want the "best" ranger for a damage purpose go full bow.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
I consider my ranger to be melee specced.

45 CD
39 pierce
35 stealth
30 bow
11 pf

I think completely binning bow will hinder you somewhat, but not massively. With 30 bow i still hit for 300-400 on regular shots most of the time.

It works for me anyway, i used cd styles mostly so 39 pierce meets wyrd spec and then some.

Solari is right in a way, going beyond mos3 is a tad silly. You need to pack in purge3 and ip2 somewhere along the line to compete a lot.

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
Naffets said:
I consider my ranger to be melee specced.

45 CD
39 pierce
35 stealth
30 bow
11 pf

I think completely binning bow will hinder you somewhat, but not massively. With 30 bow i still hit for 300-400 on regular shots most of the time.

It works for me anyway, i used cd styles mostly so 39 pierce meets wyrd spec and then some.

Solari is right in a way, going beyond mos3 is a tad silly. You need to pack in purge3 and ip2 somewhere along the line to compete a lot.

Just imo the soft point for bow is 35 if you want to spec it due to rapid fire.
It can be called a melee spec, but for the top notch you will need your 50 cd for max'ed offhandswings and style damage. Aswell as 11 pf is very low, considering you get an AF spec, dmg add and speedburst.
So melee, yes.... Best there is, doubt it.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Tallen said:
Pretty important if you don't have the luxury of a buffbot (some Rangers do play without them believe it or not :)).

I must admit to having high path for a long time now and it really works for me, without a bot I would never go under 36 pathfinding. To be honest without a full set of yellow buffs, I'd feel nekkid :)

believe me or not, before my respec I was 46pf =)) ( 45bow, 46pf, 21pierce?, 10 CD?, rest stealth :p )

btw, for RA's. I like the aug. strength/dex a lot for obvious reasons. Not only do they increase your damage like MoP does, but they also increase your WeapSkill, meaning you have a higher chance of hitting enemies. I didn't believe it until I got them on my valkyrie. Ok you might now say that valk is different, but ofc I got them on ranger aswell then and I must say that I really like it. Imho it's no bad thing if you get aug str/dex 2 before IP, just make sure you have defensive artis like malice and SoM ( and a few more :) )

MrBic

Part of the furniture
Ofc solari forgot to mention that luris are best melee rangers ever..
Blade or pierc spec dont matter :twak:

Also if you dont have a BB you can always invest some points in leech buffs RA's.. i know solari spent loads of points there:drink:

Good post m8.

+1 in pointless post's

PS. ill be back soon khai :eek7:

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm I have to update this soon...
Anyways you better be back soon biccy =) I can't rvr unbuffed o_O

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
tbh you shouldn't diss what Puppet is saying, hes only trying to help other rangers.

Like him or not hes the best ranger on Prydwen, and my stealthers DO Carry Matter and Heat LW's so i can pick my poison.

I'd rather lose 10 Dex cap or Str Cap and have a high UV resist item than Thin my resists down too much.

Isletha

Loyal Freddie
Good post nice to see somone taking the time to help other rangers out :cheers: Tho just check on the Squall dmg im sure it is High dmg and not Low not to sure tho as i dont take my ranger out much anymore :)

ev0_o

Loyal Freddie
I use belt of sun weaps on hunter, wanna come try kick my arse? :p

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
MrBic said:
Ofc solari forgot to mention that luris are best melee rangers ever..
Blade or pierc spec dont matter :twak:

Celt is the best ranger ;)

better with blades because of str
same with pierce because of the same total value str + dex / 2 ;)

Shar is nice aswell becauase they have more con tho, but u need quickness cap to cap quickness on them where a celt with 0 qui from creation can put 74 I think it is in template and cap quickness :D

Puppet

Part of the furniture
-Freezingwiz- said:
Celt is the best ranger ;)

better with blades because of str
same with pierce because of the same total value str + dex / 2 ;)

Shar is nice aswell becauase they have more con tho, but u need quickness cap to cap quickness on them where a celt with 0 qui from creation can put 74 I think it is in template and cap quickness :D

Shar > Celt with Blades tho. If you put QUI @ creation u can get 250 no problem on a Shar. Then no matter what, the Shar has 20 more CON then the Celt. I dont count DEX - most Blades Ranger dont give much about it :)

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
Puppet said:
Shar > Celt with Blades tho. If you put QUI @ creation u can get 250 no problem on a Shar. Then no matter what, the Shar has 20 more CON then the Celt. I dont count DEX - most Blades Ranger dont give much about it :)

I have 80 dex in my ranger template only form items and 249 quickness :p

with the 2 blade styles fireblade/spectrum blade(high defensive bonus, attack speed debuff) makes me evade shit loads, it's damm nice :p.... too bad the end use is very very high :(

Puppet

Part of the furniture
-Freezingwiz- said:
I have 80 dex in my ranger template only form items and 249 quickness :p

with the 2 blade styles fireblade/spectrum blade(high defensive bonus, attack speed debuff) makes me evade shit loads, it's damm nice :p.... too bad the end use is very very high :(

What I ment is, as pure Blades Ranger you dont really care about your DEX, even tho ofcourse you get quite some DEX from items. The 10 less DEX from a Shar aint a problem, and the 20 more CON is nice.

I got 250 QUI on my Shar Ranger, but dont forget Blackened Wrap is a popular item on Ranger-SC and it has 7 QUI cap :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom