A good online fps

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
An suggestions for a good online fps game?

I don't like single player games, but play just multiplayer, team based, fps, usually the type of thing that becomes popular for clan play. I've played q3ctf since it came out all those moons ago and currently dabble in q4 (which is what I plan to play long term) but it's in it's infancy right now and needs some patches and mods before it's gonna be worth playing much online imo. So, I've been thinking about bf2 and cod2, but I hear bf2 is a bit b0rked and I don't know how popular cod2 is. I don't like hl2 or css - too campy and slow imo.
Any thoughts or suggestions? I REALLY need to find something decent to get my fps fixes from!!

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
Normal Counter strike. Even though it has crap graphics ive never played a more challenging and fun fps game in my life. Get yourself a good clan enter a couple of leagues and you'll see how fun it is :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Chameleon said:
An suggestions for a good online fps game?

I don't like single player games, but play just multiplayer, team based, fps, usually the type of thing that becomes popular for clan play. I've played q3ctf since it came out all those moons ago and currently dabble in q4 (which is what I plan to play long term) but it's in it's infancy right now and needs some patches and mods before it's gonna be worth playing much online imo. So, I've been thinking about bf2 and cod2, but I hear bf2 is a bit b0rked and I don't know how popular cod2 is. I don't like hl2 or css - too campy and slow imo.
Any thoughts or suggestions? I REALLY need to find something decent to get my fps fixes from!!

You cannot beat BF2 sorry ask most of the FPS community in any forum and they will say BF2 FTW.

Its just so much fun you can really spend the best part of the day/night on this game without looking at the clock.

Yes i guess i am sort of a fanboi when it comes to BF2 its just an amazing game.

Want nice and insane infantry combat? check.

Want Tanks/choppers/planes etc? check.

MODS? Check.

Some awsome maps? (yes i admit some maps suck but i guess thats an opinion.) check.

You really cannot go wrong with this game people have said they have had problems with it but personally i find it to be a stable game.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Its just what you like really, not popularity. BF2 is alright, but after half an hour or so im bored personally.
1.6 CS is by far and away the most popular FPS, (and dont start saying it isnt BF2 fans, or Ill smite you with some facts that you can ignore , AGAIN no doubt ) , followed by CSS, but as you dont like em they are irrelevant :)
DoD Source is quite good , and very pretty with the HDR malarky, and personally I like Americas Army too, its a sort of CS without the whingers :) Having said that it is rather slow, and scarily American, which can put some people off. Its free to download which is a plus point mind, www.americasarmy.com , and I think you'll find theres more people playing AA than Bf2 as well :)
*waits to be proved wrong by outraged BF2 fans*

Aada

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
Its just what you like really, not popularity. BF2 is alright, but after half an hour or so im bored personally.
1.6 CS is by far and away the most popular FPS, (and dont start saying it isnt BF2 fans, or Ill smite you with some facts that you can ignore , AGAIN no doubt ) , followed by CSS, but as you dont like em they are irrelevant :)
DoD Source is quite good , and very pretty with the HDR malarky, and personally I like Americas Army too, its a sort of CS without the whingers :) Having said that it is rather slow, and scarily American, which can put some people off. Its free to download which is a plus point mind, www.americasarmy.com , and I think you'll find theres more people playing AA than Bf2 as well :)
*waits to be proved wrong by outraged BF2 fans*

There probably is CS is a popular game no denying but its for people who like running the same map 100x times over and running the exact same route and dieing in pretty much the same choke point over and over :) if you like that sort of thing thats fine.

Personally i like BF2 because every game is different there is never any game in BF2 thats the same as the last game.

I played CS:S for about a day.. it just got so boring running the exact same map and the exact same route. As soon as a CS game starts you can go round blind folded because the whole team goes the exact same route everytime and your 100% likely to meet the other team at the same point you did last game.

BF2 no game is ever the same as the last.

Aada

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
Dont start fking arguing about it again :p

I'm not what do you find fun about CS? you cannot deny that every game is 90% the same as the last game.. routes/choke points etc.

However if you enjoy the game im not going to bash that :)

I also find BF2 to be more of a team game medics etc, you really can't beat a BF2 clan vs clan match its really awsome being part of a sqaud that works like a team. Granted there are some real arse fucks in public servers but the same goes for CS even then noone really wants to work like a team on a public server where as BF2 you can generally find a team that wants to be a team.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
If you want to compete, CSS, or even more so CS, will put you up against the most players. It is the most fiercely competative games ive ever played. I like that.
It is easy to play, but ludicrously hard to master. As a clan we have been playing it for over 4 years, and still we're thinking up new tactics for maps all the time, and also being defeated by different ploys we hadnt thought of.
It looks much much better than any other game, BF2 included, and its updated regularly by a company that knows the game is alive, and changing in small ways all the time, with new maps and content coming all the time too.
Each gun is different to the others, and has to be used ina different way . You see the best players use them and wonder what you are doing wrong.
With respect, a game like BF2 will be all but forgotton in a years time, and you'll have paid loads more for all the add-ons and expansions. Valve wont charge you for any of that, and CSS will be more popular than ever this time next year, with bugs being ironed out all the time, and stuff coming straight to your pc for free.

Well , you did ask ... :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Yeah i did ask :( lol

I guess it just didn't click with me.. i like the whole being able to jump into a jeep thing on BF2 and mow people down :D

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
its for people who like running the same map 100x times over and running the exact same route and dieing in pretty much the same choke point over and over :)
lol, spot on, that's how I see css too, same with cs ... but each to their own.

Hmm thanks lads, I am regularly tempted by bf2 ... maybe I should just buy it ..

Anyone play cod2 online? Is cod1 still popular online? I've not reinstalled that since new system but did love the odd game.
I take it that latest tribes didn't really take off? Is the RTCW based Enemy Territory still the latest thing from that team? I loved ET.

/me wonders if I can be arsed to nip along to Game now

Aada

Part of the furniture
Chameleon said:
lol, spot on, that's how I see css too, same with cs ... but each to their own.

Hmm thanks lads, I am regularly tempted by bf2 ... maybe I should just buy it ..

Anyone play cod2 online? Is cod1 still popular online? I've not reinstalled that since new system but did love the odd game online.
I take it that latest tribes didn't really take off? Is the RTCW based Enemy Territory still the latest thing from that team? I loved ET.

/me wonders if I can be arsed to nip along to Game now

Glad someone else sees it that way :) most CS servers run one map 24/7 gets real boring after you have done the same map over and over for an hour

I don't bother with COD2 online i played Tribes was pretty awsome but again BF2 just does it for me i really can't believe you haven't got it yet lol they are releasing a content update 8th feb or 7th new toys/maps etc its £5 but well worth it imo

Just get the freaking game.

Also what rig you got? the game looks awsome on high max settings/AA etc :) i play it on that all the time never get any lag at all :)

OH btw this is just one cool thing in BF2 that makes you laugh everytime :)

Unlock the m95 and snipe pilots out of the helicopters so fucking funny seeing the gunner in the chopper smash into the ground and go WTF?!! haha

throdgrain

FH is my second home
CoD 2 was a massive flop from what Ive read and heard, and lets face it CoD 1 didnt last that long :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
CoD 2 was a massive flop from what Ive read and heard, and lets face it CoD 1 didnt last that long :)

Well they weren't flops as it were it was just the run of the mill multiplayer crap that we have all seen before and gets boring.

Can't fault the singleplayer storys.

Its like HL2 i thought the story was really shit tbh and the multiplayer was bad too.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I still dream of an AVP3 release with the DOOM3 engine.

Man would that game be shit scary :)

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
Also what rig you got? the game looks awsome on high max settings/AA etc :) i play it on that all the time never get any lag at all :)
I updated it for quake4, so yes, it's a monster :D
I'm reinstalling cod1 now heheh, can't resist the odd bit of rifle rampage .... but thanks you have convinced me, i'll go get a copy of bf2 .... it's not exactly gonna break the bank spose :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i played COD online for ever and then got UO and played that online for ever.

now i bought COD2 and the MP is the same. only differences are better graphics and more guns.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Aada said:
Glad someone else sees it that way :) most CS servers run one map 24/7 gets real boring after you have done the same map over and over for an hour

a

Btw m8 thats totally untrue, far more servers run the whole map range.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose...

BUT YOU MUST BE FKING BLIND MATE!!!!

;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
nath said:
BF2 looks waaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaayyyyyy better than CS:S quite frankly.

Agreed the source engine is showing its age.

CS:S isn't nearly as detailed as BF2 which is the reason why you only need a 9800pro at best to run all settings high ^^ trying running all settings high on BF2 with that card you will blow your machine.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm on a 9800pro and I'm running almost all settings on high - it runs ok.

Oh and it's not the source engine - HL2 looks pretty damn good still, it's just that CS:S maps don't look as good.

Aada

Part of the furniture
nath said:
I'm on a 9800pro and I'm running almost all settings on high - it runs ok.

Oh and it's not the source engine - HL2 looks pretty damn good still, it's just that CS:S maps don't look as good.

I think they need a new engine its a year or so old and its starting to look dated imo.

I played HL2 the other day with my new x850pro the game looks good but theres no wow factor there.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
yer bloody mad seriously. The source engine is far better looking than that BF2 thing.
And for absolute final proof check out DoD:Source :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
yer bloody mad seriously. The source engine is far better looking than that BF2 thing.
And for absolute final proof check out DoD:Source :)

You just lost all credit :( look at that bridge.. the textures look like they were drawn with a crayon :) sorry dude it does not look better then BF2 no chance on earth.

Even then BF2:SF actually upgrades the visuals a little too hence why it needs 2 gig of ram to run nicely.

Anyway not going to get into a debate he has chosen BF2 so mission accomplished (now i can go get my pay cheque from EA)

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Just got back from shops, BF2 and expansion pack in hand :) Practically £50 all in! so CoD2 after pay day I think ;)
Oh btw, I got hl2, css, etc ages ago from some voucher I got with a graphics card - it involved downloading the game. I never got a cd. Since I've formatted, how do I get it back? You never know, they might release a mod for it that's worth playing ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
lol seems someone couldn't contain himself and wait till tomorrow to get the game!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Aada said:
You just lost all credit :( look at that bridge.. the textures look like they were drawn with a crayon :) sorry dude it does not look better then BF2 no chance on earth.

Even then BF2:SF actually upgrades the visuals a little too hence why it needs 2 gig of ram to run nicely.

Anyway not going to get into a debate he has chosen BF2 so mission accomplished (now i can go get my pay cheque from EA)

LOL you're bloody mad!! And what bridge.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Chameleon, make sure you install it in this order -
1. BF2
2. BF:SF
3. Patch

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom