A FUN and PvE only character?

Eredan

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone tell me whats a fun PvE only character? Unfortunatley i haven't found one yet. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

(p.s. Any realm)

Affrinard

Fledgling Freddie
If you have a bb try a death servant necro :) Depends what you mean by "fun" really. When I think of fun and PvE in the same sentance I think of massive farming :p

Eredan

Fledgling Freddie
Nope i haven't got a BB (cant afford a 2nd account :) )

I mean fun as interesting and not the same old boring nuke, sit to regen mana, rinse & repeat. A class that is great for grouping has a lot to do and a pleasure to play. I've tried a few classes since i returned to DAoC but most have ended up deleted or left to rot on other servers.

Im really tempted with a Cleric or Druid, but since i'll be starting from level 1 and no bb/level 20 im thinking it will be really hard. Since about 90% of people use the /level command i won't be able to group and have heard healing classes can be a pain to level?

Oh well, guess i'll try those 2 classes for now (inbetween playing Teacake in BG). If anyone has any suggestions please post them.

Thanks.

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
If you like grouping and don't mind not being the one doing the damage then the Healer is a very good class. It might be a bit hard early on (lack of groups) but from about level 15 you should be able to group with people levelling from 20-24 pretty effectively.

Initially you'll just be healing (which is often a challenge in low level groups) but as things progress you can start mising in a bit of CC.

Take a look at my Healer Guide for more info on the class. It's a bit out of date but it still covers the fundamentals.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I actually enjoy playing my shaman, now my main character. he's mixed cave/aug, full aug to 32 then brought cave up to 41. still good for groups and gives you a bit more to do than just buff/afk :)

Other than that I'd definately recommend a Healer as Pogel does, good class and you're never stuck for something to do. It's also nice to know YOU got your group out of a sticky situation when someone screws up :)

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Sorcerers are good fun. You can solo them, group with others REALLY well and you always have plenty to do; run around trying to stay alive, CC, debuff mobs, nuke mobs, curse the crappy cleric etc etc.

Valewalkers are good fun to play as well. Mucho fun styles. Same with reavers and paladins.

Eredan

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Pogel and Kami, i totally missed the Shaman and Healer (bit silly since im currently playing Midgard :eek7: )

I'll have a read of the guide, healers/shamans sound like the class for me. With the need for healing and CC im sure groups will be easy to find.

Thanks!

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
I recommend nature/regrowth druid as a fun PvE (/RvR) alt. Solos great, groups great, has some fun and useful things to play with - pet, DoTs, some crowd control via root/AE root, and of course it's a primary healer so always useful in groups.

Otherwise, I'd say friar or sorcerer (if you like casters).

(should add: my definition of a fun character is one that can choose from a variety of different things to do/ spells to cast, is welcome in groups, and can also solo well. Your mileage may vary, of course ;) I like my cleric, but it isn't anywhere as near as fun as the druid was.)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Mentalist

Mana spec of course.

Everyone wants you in a grp, but you can heal and do great DMG, even Mezz and stun.

No sitting round for mana when soloing, with own MR.

Healer McHeal

Fledgling Freddie
warden is a nice solo/group char, can heal, can melee, and can solo really well :), u take about same lenght of time to kill stuff as a pala, but hell, its fun doing it :)

Boogyman

Fledgling Freddie
Friar imo :) good for solo when you dont have BB and welcome in groups.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
VW's can hit stuff (quite hard) and nuke, snare, dot
and with determination for hybrids incoming, there might be hope in future RvR for the class.

Eredan

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the suggestions, they've helped a great deal.

After a few hours viewing messageboards, class web sites and the above replies i've decided to try a Sorcerer. It sounds like a blast being able to charm any creature and be a CC'er.

Teacake will be resurrected in Albion/Prydwen soon!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Eredan said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, they've helped a great deal.

After a few hours viewing messageboards, class web sites and the above replies i've decided to try a Sorcerer. It sounds like a blast being able to charm any creature and be a CC'er.

Teacake will be resurrected in Albion/Prydwen soon!

Don't do it.. Roll a minstrel instead - has regen , speed and mezz as does sorc, but you also can tank , pet higher lvl than yourself pets.. and if you ever decide to go PvP with it , you won't be the first one on the enemy's shitlist!

Affrinard

Fledgling Freddie
/shrug, I like my sorc. It's the only char I've been able to take from a /level 20 state to 50 without playing alts inbetween.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
evzy said:
Don't do it.. Roll a minstrel instead - has regen , speed and mezz as does sorc, but you also can tank , pet higher lvl than yourself pets.. and if you ever decide to go PvP with it , you won't be the first one on the enemy's shitlist!

Evzy is just bitter because his sorc was turned into pony fodder on many an occasion. :p

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Sissyfoo said:
Evzy is just bitter because his sorc was turned into pony fodder on many an occasion. :p

My sorc i will have you know young man is the only sorc to ever go from lvl 1 to lvl 50 without a single death...ever... honest... he rocks..
I blame all my bad experiences on this noob infi i hooked up with called Desaneset who insisted on pulling 5 purple con mobs for every person in group.. I barely escaped with my life on numerous occasions..
~shakes his fist wildy~ And if i ever see that infi again.. ooo i swear !!!

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
smite/rejuv cleric :)

can nuke and bash things solo, can heal for groups (or nuke when your group's not dying too much)

Jpeg[LOD]

Fledgling Freddie
imo Friars are the most fun class by far to pve with chain pulling oranges. taking on 2-3yellows or 2 oj's at same time chaining reds also and kilin the odd purple and killin them the ninja way is fun i enjoy pve (when on my friar) but hate it on other alts ive played. low downtime due to self end buffs. ussually only dt is power which if u get mcl isnt a problem .
also if u go perfector n get ml3 u can chain pull purples with heal ward down :)
i cant imagine anything being as fun as a friar if solo pve. due to the tools we got (self buffs . end regen . healing) its all you need for pve :) and friars get it all :) and nice melee dmge :)

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
A good XP group will prefer a sorc over a minstrel anytime...And in the 40's you can get good pbaoe groups if you spec split body/mind, your cold debuff and aoe stre/con debuff will be really usefull.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
If it's just PVE and you are midgard then go Thane.

Great fun class to play, good in groups and good solo, more bells and whistles than a warrior but about the same potential in PvE.

Eredan

Fledgling Freddie
yaruar said:
If it's just PVE and you are midgard then go Thane.

Great fun class to play, good in groups and good solo, more bells and whistles than a warrior but about the same potential in PvE.

Funny you saying that, i rolled a Thane just before the servers went down on my Brothers account and used /level. He doesn't play now so i'll take over the account and use the /level command since he has a level 50 on Excalibur. I'll use it to roll my Sorceror, hopefully be easier to get groups with other /level characters :clap:

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
dont roll pure offensive tanks, they are utterly boring in pve. support or utility caster - tank (not just pbae and nuke) is a lot fun in pve imo.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Well almost all my experience is in Midgard and I can tell you for certain that Skald and Thane are two great PvE classes. My Thane is just about 47 now and he kicks ass completely, nice nuke output and pretty useful melee damage too. Skalds have probably the lowest downtime of any solo class I've played with the heal song, and a 2H Troll Skald will still dish out pretty respectable damage, too.

Either one of those would be a solid choice.

Pure melee-ers can be great in PvE but are maybe more fun in a group than solo (although I've always enjoyed soloing my Warrior; a Warrior with good Shield spec has great survivability). Berserkers are maybe the most fun pure melee in Midgard, I have a 50 Savage but shelved him to play my then-43ish Zerk (the Savage just seemed kind of boring and the Zerk always left me with a smile on my face, especially in Hamster Mode) . Troll Zerk with paired cleavers has huge damage output, always fun in a good PvE group.

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Imo it would be dump to chose a minstrel.. Cuz he is getting nerfed in 1.68 ... ofc he is still great fun as a grp char.. with insta dd spells and melee and speed :)
Enyhow, roll a pally ;)

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
good FUN solo classes hmm.. try summit a bit mad.. like a lurikeen blunt spec champ.. had a lot of fun doing that believe me :)

others.. well friars. reavers ofc.. if u wanna get there by yourself and play game to a level you happy with before u go on the nutty search for ml's, rp;s etc.. do some thing mad.. and just stick to it :) you will get there in the end i'm sure :)

rp's are one thing.. but getting somewhere as a class that aint in the rulebook is another. i like that kinda thing tbh :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom