A 3rd server?

Elcyion

Fledgling Freddie
I'd say we need a new eng.server especially now after Excaiburs crashes etc.
I'm aware of Prydwen being quite low populated but look at some of the German and French servers, they have a few with less peeps than Prydwen. And I would consider Excalibur being classified as full now, being "stuck in between" the so called full servers of Germany and France in the serverlist.

So what do you think, will we get a third english server now or will they perhaps start an eng. co-op, or more likely, they dont give a damn?

I'd prefer a co-op tho... ;)

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
I'd prefer to see a HI (Home Invasion) server over a 3rd english speaking server, but thats just my opinion - which some people think is wrong and evil based on the principle that it isn't a carbon copy of their own opinions ;)

Co-op sounds interesting, but at the same time i don't think i could do more than what i currently do with the PvP server (log in every other month, or when Excal is down and i want to play - and piss arround with other /level'd toons)

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
The only thing I can see - will many people HONESTLY move away from Excal if that is where their X level 50 mains are, or where all their friends are. At that moment, there are x many pissed Albs wanting their relics back - if server Foo came online tomorrow, how many do you think will say to themselves "What the heck - let's leave it and go elsewhere."

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Doubt we will get a third server since according to GOA (was some thread where someone posted an email reply from them on bw) we already have a third english server: the pvp server :flame:

And yeah id love a Home Invasion server as well - for those that dont know what this is, its a server where its legal to assault and battle through a realmgate and invade an enemy realm :D (also the realmgates would actually be possible to break through, with less beefy guards etc).

Joxor

Fledgling Freddie
The so called 3rd server Camlann, is severaly underused.
Either create a new server (the current problems we have been seeying indicates that indeed Excalibur is becomming "full") or change the underused server (camlann) into a normal server.

Offcousre the problem with this is that the true Camlann players will be pissed off, so option 1 create a new server seems better.

Cyviel

Fledgling Freddie
i honestly cant see why people keep going on and on about this 3rd english server, there simply isnt the player base to support one, and it certainly wouldnt be cost effective to have one, we have camlann, if you dont like it tough, thats the way it is, please stop making these stupid threads, it aint gonna happen. :flame:

Silverwolf

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, I don't really know too much about the different kind of server setups available but, I'm going to make a few less-than-educated comments, and then you can tell me where i've gone wrong. They don't really come to any major conclusions, but instead generate more discussion! :) :

1) A home invasion server just sounds like an extra way to get into another realm and cause as many problems as possible. If, for example, mids broke through to alb, then people would log their characters there, there would be more grey ganking (we know some people in all realms love to do it), Spies would report back when similar attacks would take place on other realms (who would need IRC'rs to blab raids anymore when you have you own people watching!). It just sounds like a can of worms to me.

2) I read the post of excalibur crashes and the multi zone/server set up, and the fact that all albs, mids and hibs in one area overburdened the server. I just sat there and thought, "well, surely that's the idea of the game??"... and now GOA have come out and said clearly that their set up can't cope with this. Well, surely it should... If you make the setup robust in the first place you won't need a 3rd server to even out the numbers and alleviate the load.

3) PvP servers don't appeal to me. I know people out there like them, but it just doesn't feel right. It's my opinion that it is really just a place to get a quick fix to blast seven shades of Wyvern droppings out of everyone else as fast as possible. You can't even /level 20 and train without being ganked. The PvP server brings out the kind of traits that I feel are the ones we want to stamp out of the game for everyone's sake.

4) Why german and french players have the chance to play all 3 realms as standard and english speaking players don't is quite strange. The server would get used. It may not increase the number of new players, but iiIt may increase the length of peoples subscriptions to the game as they get to play Alb, Mid and Hib!

Just a few thoughts to start of with! :touch: And to the poster above, discussion threads aren't stupid. They air opinions. Doesn't mean they will change anything, sure.

Blain

Fledgling Freddie
Please for the love of got, stop flogging this dead horse.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Silverwolf said:
2) I read the post of excalibur crashes and the multi zone/server set up, and the fact that all albs, mids and hibs in one area overburdened the server. I just sat there and thought, "well, surely that's the idea of the game??"... and now GOA have come out and said clearly that their set up can't cope with this. Well, surely it should... If you make the setup robust in the first place you won't need a 3rd server to even out the numbers and alleviate the load.
Saying "surely it should" is easy, fact is that computer hardware is still trying to catch up with the vision that Mythic had when they created the game. Slowly it becomes better at coping with 200+ people in an area, but both servers and clients have a long way to go before 1000+ people can be in the same game zone and experience little lag. All online games suffer from this these days, some more than others and I think DAOC is one of the least laggy games when I compare it to others.. :)

Silverwolf

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:
Saying "surely it should" is easy, fact is that computer hardware is still trying to catch up with the vision that Mythic had when they created the game.
I see what you are saying, and yes, I did make a rather throw away comment... but your point on the hardware is strange when GOA say "The hardware on the Excalibur server was upgraded recently and is just about top notch. While hardware upgrades may seem like the obvious solution, this is not an area where improvements would make much of a difference."

Perhaps capping the total number of accounts on each realm on each server is the way forward? And the caps should be calculated based on the maximum number of players one zone server can cope with?

A little lag is one thing, and with internet connections, etc you expect it... but being crashed out in this manner is another! But I'm sure there are technical reasons that I won't understand for this.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Capping the connections would just kill the game off. You rarely get huge number of people in the same area unless it's a relic raid so for the rest of the time with people spread out over all the zones XPing and RvRing as normal you'd end up with a dead server.

I think you missed my point - technology today struggles to cope with the demands, Excalibur probably has some of the best hardware that money can buy but it'll not be good enough to run things smoothly with 1000+ chars in the same area until new hardware is released for both the server and clients.

Mythic and GOA are pretty ballsy to try and run a game that CAN have that many clients in the same zone, they do it pretty damn well too. In a couple of years thing will no doubt be a lot better as new hardware is developed, right now it's still pretty impressive that you can get 100+ people fighting on your screen ;)

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
There are more players on the 5 th german server than on Prydwen so I think if GOA add a new server, it will be german.

A new server would not solve Excalibur problems because most of the players don't want to start a new char on an empty server.

Cyviel

Fledgling Freddie
Silverwolf said:
Just a few thoughts to start of with! :touch: And to the poster above, discussion threads aren't stupid. They air opinions. Doesn't mean they will change anything, sure.

the problem is the THOUGHT has been AIRED over 200 times!! no seriously it has, and GOA have even Offically answered those threads and said NO... i have nothing against good discussion but as the poster above said this horse haveth been flogged to death too much, let it rest and be dog food now. :puke:

bigmammas

Fledgling Freddie
Too bad really, guess I never play on midgard realm ever by the likes of it...

Ow well, win some lose some:m00:

charmsdark

Fledgling Freddie
Silverwolf said:
4) Why german and french players have the chance to play all 3 realms as standard and english speaking players don't is quite strange. The server would get used. It may not increase the number of new players, but iiIt may increase the length of peoples subscriptions to the game as they get to play Alb, Mid and Hib!

I think they should've started with a minimum of 3 servers for all three "countries" seeing as there is after all 3 realms in the game, and you should have the opportunity to take advantage of the whole game.
When I started playing there were 4 german servers and 3 french ones iirc, and 2 english ones. I don't think you should have to play on the PvP server to play a third realm if you don't know German or French.

And if you ppl so much dislike the discussion about a 3rd English server, then why do you even read and/or post in this thread? It's not like the subject of the thread is misleading or anything imo.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Silverwolf said:
1) A home invasion server just sounds like an extra way to get into another realm and cause as many problems as possible. If, for example, mids broke through to alb, then people would log their characters there, there would be more grey ganking (we know some people in all realms love to do it), Spies would report back when similar attacks would take place on other realms (who would need IRC'rs to blab raids anymore when you have you own people watching!). It just sounds like a can of worms to me.

When Mythic first introduced this server concept they stated it would probably include some sort of limit on how long you could stay in the enemy realm and that you most likely could not log there, if i remember correct. I dont know if they have talked any more about it lately.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Charmsdark - totally agree, the name of the thread pretty much said it all so for those that are bitching all I can say is you weren't forced to read it..

Ele

Fledgling Freddie
I agree all nationalities should have access to all 3 realms...I think the lack of attention to give this to the English speaking servers may have cost Goa/mythic a lot of Revenue.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ning said:
you have access to 12 servers.

Sure, as long as you speak a reasonable german or french, or dont mind soloing your way through the entire game ;)

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
I can't understand there being any appeal in a Co-op server. PvE makes baby jesus cry.

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
Sadly, when you pick up the box it says choose your realm! Not choose all 3!
The ability to choose to play each realm is a biproduct of having to accomodate a large number of people of a certain nationality. I cant recall ever being promised that i would be able to play all three realms.. :l

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Loxleyhood said:
I can't understand there being any appeal in a Co-op server. PvE makes baby jesus cry.

Only if you're an RvR muppet. A lot of people really enjoy the Gaheris server and IMO we in Europe should have the chance to play that style of server.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Ning said:
you have access to 12 servers.

No, only if you speak fluent and colloquial German AND French do you have realistic access to 12 servers. It's like telling a vegetarian that they CAN eat everything on the menu.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
No, only if you speak fluent and colloquial German AND French do you have realistic access to 12 servers. It's like telling a vegetarian that they CAN eat everything on the menu.

It's also against the TOS or CoC to use the non-native language in public channels... So a Frenchman running around Gothwaite on Excalibur screaming "Viva la Renault" is breaking the conditions... Which, interestingly, means if you could be ARSED and go over Camlann (which is an English server remember) and take a screenie of every single person using /gu /b /s /y in anything NOT English, you could report them on rightnow! hehehe

Of course - getting Excal fixed is probably like to happen first....

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
From the EULA (the first screen you have to accept):

"GOA accommodates servers in three different languages (English, French and German). You can connect to a server using a foreign language, but if you communicate on the main channels, please use the language of the server."

Edit- It's also in the CoC (the second box), so doing it is against the CoC... :D

Joxor

Fledgling Freddie
Just like to add my little 2p in here.

First of all : Excal server is overloaded.
We easily exceed the so called "Full-flagged" servers (both german and french who very fast get otehr servers when they exceed the cap we exceeded).
We are almost crashing daily because too many people go into 1 zone atm.
Well this maybe news but there are also alot of low lvl folk on the server who upon getting Lvl 50 will be out there aswell.

Excalibur should be flagged as a "full-server" and the welcome message on the rightside of the server select screen should be pointing the english speaking players to prydwen, instead of saying and i quote :
If you are discovering the game for the first time, the English servers are Excalibur & Prydwen. You can also play on Camlann, the English PvP server.

Excalibur is already overfull, and soon when ToA will hit the stores alot of people will probably return to see how the new exspansion will be and we will also get an influx of young players.

There simply is no going around it, The Server is crashing and there is nothing one can do about it, hardware has recently been updated to supposedly top of the notch servers.

Camlann is a nice server, it has alot of options, but the main trouble i have with it is the whole "hunting season" way of playing.
That server is an open game for griefers.

I also agree with most otehr people here with the fact that the english speaking player base are treated like a red-headed steph child.
Give us a damn 3rd server so we can fully enjoy the game.

To the people who say "stop beating a dead horse" : QQ etc etc no one said you had to read this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom