4X4's?

rynnor

Rockhound
I have been thinking about buying one for a while - needs to be a 7 seater and reliable enough to be used as the general family transport.

I quite like Land Rovers but have heard too many stories of their unreliability so have been pushed towards a Pathfinder.

Can anyone suggest any other decent 4x4's I should consider that arent unreasonably expensive?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
a friend of mine works for Nissan and swears that the new V6 in the Pathfinder and Navara are the best things since sliced bread!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Do you want an actual proper off-roader, that you're actually going to use...y'know, off-road, or do you just want an SUV?

If you're genuinely going to go off-road then the Pathfinder is probably the right way to go. if you're not really bothered about mud-plugging then the best 7-seat SUV for not stupid money is the Volvo XC90, by quite some way. A lot on the second hand market now as well.

rynnor

Rockhound
Do you want an actual proper off-roader, that you're actually going to use...y'know, off-road, or do you just want an SUV?

I find myself spending a large chunk of my driving time in more challenging country roads/tracks and needing off road capability from time to time.

I have had a few iffy moments too so it would probably be a good idea safety wise and I'm worried about ripping out the suspension or breaking an axle...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Dunno about 7 seats but I can absolutely recommend a Jeep for reliability, comfort, and a decent off-road capability.

The same can be said of a Range Rover, but it will cost you twice as much :)

I cannot recommend either of them for fuel consumption though!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
That is an option indeed.

My point about the Jeep though, is that it really is old technology, it's uber reliable, comfortable, you can drive it like a car (instead of a van which is how a Pajero drives) and it's capable off road too.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Im about to buy (as i have to test it this weekend) a convertible 3 doors Suzuki Vitara 1.6 JLX Hard Top

suzuki-vitara-1-6-jlx-hard-top_09fe775bef67bfbbdaa9caa47d54198a.jpg

:)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've not heard a bad word said about the Kia Sorento. Nice looking car, Mercedes diesel engine, great warranty, superb service from Kia.

A friend tows horse boxes with one, over fields too. She's never got stuck.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Pinch of salt with Clarkson, if it's not a Range Rover or a Discovery you may as well not read the review.

A colleague of mine is asking similar questions as he needs 7 seats but wants at least dirt track capability. He's look at the Nissan x-Trail; reviews well, has 7 seats which he needs, can get a second hand one without breaking the bank, four wheel drive and good height clearance.

I have no idea what it's like as I've never driven it, but felt it was worth a mention because my colleague has done a fair bit of research and mentioned this in passing to me. Personally, I think it's rather fugly, but you may not care much for that.

YouTube - nissan x-trail off road

Nissan X-Trail 4x4 Review | Car Reviews | AutoExpress

SilverHood

FH is my second home
One of my mates's has an BMW X7 (think 7, maybe 5). It's awesome. Not sure what they cost in blightey land though. Over here everyone drives SUV's or trucks.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Unfortunately Clarkson is consistent only in the manner in which he changes his opinion on cars he's already reviewed. He at first loved the TVR Cerbera, and then slagged it off on the modern Top Gear. Entertaining as he is, that's about all he is; there are better motoring journalists to choose from.

I know a few people who've had Sorentos and all have praised them. One even wrecked the engine while driving through bonnet-deep water and allowing it turn into a runaway diesel. Kia replaced it FOC, no questions asked.

DaGaffer

One of my mates's has an BMW X7 (think 7, maybe 5). It's awesome. Not sure what they cost in blightey land though. Over here everyone drives SUV's or trucks.

x7's are awesome? Bloody hell.... okay.

The X7 doesn't exist (yet). I assume its the X5 or X6 you're referring to, neither of which have seven seats and both of which are terrible off road (really terrible, I once saw my boss slide his on wet grass in a flat field).

Don't think I'd regard any X-series Beemer as "awesome" personally, but then again in the US they're like science fiction compared to most American SUVs and trucks.

old.user4556

Will

/bin/su
Get 2 Panda 4x4s. 8 seats, cheaper than one SUV (apart from maybe the Kia), better fuel economy even if you are using both. :)

Will

/bin/su
They might not suit the 'larger gentleman'. Unless you are all very friendly.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Fuck!

The retard of the Vitara already sold it out when I went to test it. The fucker made me drive 30km just to tell me that. I almost punched his fat face right there.

Now I need to look for another one. Or maybe a Suzuki Jimny or a Rav4. But my budget is small: 3000pounds top :(

DaGaffer

Fuck!

The retard of the Vitara already sold it out when I went to test it. The fucker made me drive 30km just to tell me that. I almost punched his fat face right there.

Now I need to look for another one. Or maybe a Suzuki Jimny or a Rav4. But my budget is small: 3000pounds top :(

Are you a girl?

DaGaffer

Well that's all right then. Because there's nowhere to put gentlemen's vegetables in a RAV4 or a Vitara.

old.user4556

Fuck sake, can a mod remove that picture or can you at least use a 'NSFW' spoiler tag before anyone else views this at work? Use your head.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
how comes no ones mention landcruisers or shoguns yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom