4mb Broadband - cheap!

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
This place has good prices and theres an offer on if you sign up this month too.
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com

Has anyone heard of any problems with them? They are part of cable and wireless so should be fine. I will go for it if nobody here has any complaints about them :clap:

Yaka

Part of the furniture
think bulldog was posted about in bw forums back then they only did places down south (*spit*) i heard they good from a couple of peeps on irc

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Heard some good, some bad - they have a very low rating on adslguide which isn't great though.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks, well all I know is that I've phoned them and were answered on the first ring. :D

I'll take the 'risk'...

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have gone to Bulldog. Had it since Tuesday and it all seems great. The support is first class as well.

I am on 1mg until next month then I will be going up to 4mg when they upgrade the lines.

I am more than happy with it.

Edited to say - Of course UK Online are the fastest and cheapest providers out there, 8mg for £39.99 per month. I have that at work and it hasn't missed a beat either.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Freedom2surf will have 8Meg at £25.00 with a 50gig cap once BT finish the trials ;)

Trem

Cheers Clown, didn't realise they had dropped it. Just checked my email and I got one off them saying so.

Sweet!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I had Bulldog when I was up at uni in Hatfield. Gotta say it was a bit of a mixed bag, getting is set up was a royal pain - it went down occasionally, but not a great deal - but for the most part it was ok.

Gotta say I'm interested in the UKOnline doodah - 500gb's a month cap which works out at 16gbs a day. That's pretty decent actually - as it stands (on 2mbit) I can download about that if I go flat out. I think I'd struggle to download more if I was on 8mbit. So they do a good service, Trem?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
the UK online one only offers 8mb to those within 2km of the exchange thats listed (exchange list )

and if you look at the bulldog thing and check if you can actually get it the prices differ (for example they want £40 for me to get 4mb broadband rather than £19.50 as advertised :p )

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Did an availability check on the UKOnline thing for 8mbit - I can get it. I'm rather excited now, hope I can get out of my Pipex contract without too much fuss :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
nath said:
Did an availability check on the UKOnline thing for 8mbit - I can get it. I'm rather excited now, hope I can get out of my Pipex contract without too much fuss :)

depends on your package - iirc (and I am with Pipex too) you are tied to a minimum 1 months contract. So if that one month is up for you, you should be able to change.

but :

* A £58.75 cancellation fee applies to all services with free set-up should you cancel within the first twelve months.
** Free Setup and Free Connection Equipment only applies to new customers. Standard setup fees are £58.75

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Blueyonder had better get their act together! I'm paying £25/mo for 1Mb :x

When will the UK get decent upload speeds?

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Someone send them a map so they can locate the hamlet of Swansea located out on Western Frontier. It's down the road from a little village known as Cardiff.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Lazarus said:
depends on your package - iirc (and I am with Pipex too) you are tied to a minimum 1 months contract. So if that one month is up for you, you should be able to change.

but :

* A £58.75 cancellation fee applies to all services with free set-up should you cancel within the first twelve months.
** Free Setup and Free Connection Equipment only applies to new customers. Standard setup fees are £58.75

Yeah but there might be a clause for migration (though it's not mentioned in the T's&C's). I think the cancellation fee is because Pipex has a contract with the BT wholesalers and if you migrate you're not getting out of that. As such you might be able to sidestep the cancellation fee.

*hopes*

Embattle

FH is my second home
Escape said:
Blueyonder had better get their act together! I'm paying £25/mo for 1Mb :x

When will the UK get decent upload speeds?

When they are actually needed :p

Trem

nath said:
I had Bulldog when I was up at uni in Hatfield. Gotta say it was a bit of a mixed bag, getting is set up was a royal pain - it went down occasionally, but not a great deal - but for the most part it was ok.

Gotta say I'm interested in the UKOnline doodah - 500gb's a month cap which works out at 16gbs a day. That's pretty decent actually - as it stands (on 2mbit) I can download about that if I go flat out. I think I'd struggle to download more if I was on 8mbit. So they do a good service, Trem?

Its been faultless Nathz0r. Really chuffed with it. I can't have it at home as I am too far away from the exchange so I went with Bulldog to get a guaranteed 4mb. I wish I could get UK Online here but thats life. If I have anything big to download I will just do it at work.

The wireless router off UK Online is great as well, I think having that made the whole thing alot easier and setting it up was absolutely problem free. Was up and running within 2 minutes.

You don't get top speeds all that often but a download from Microsoft saw me getting around 900kbs.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
dysfunction said:
I can only get max of 4mb line... :(

And thats a problem how.....?

I can get a max of 512k and tbh, after way too long in the 56k hell, Im chuffed to bits with it.

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
I had UKOnline when I was back on dialup for a year. It was the cheapest service available, and it also gave unlimited time on the 'net (though they said they'd get suspicious if you was on for more than 16 hours a day regularly), so I thought I'd give it a go. The service was top class. I didn't really notice it go down, I never failed to get in contact with their support first time of trying, and they was always a help. I was sad to leave them going to broadband, which is saying something. There was only the problem of it disconnecting every two hours (a common thing amongst dialup providers anyway), and not being able to switch between my ISDN and modem when I wanted. It was to stop two houses sharing a line as they may have done with this offer, but I could only go on my ISDN when my Dad wasn't working, and so wasn't using the second line through the ISDN for phone calls.

On broadband though, I can only get a 1Mb line at the moment. I'm with BT Yahoo! Broadband and I'm getting the 30GB download limit one for £13 a month (My Dad works for them, so it's before tax, 40% off, and another £2 off because they couldn't upgrade it to a 2Mb line for us). If I could get an 8Mb line with UKOnline I wouldn't hesitate a minute.

And the person who mentioned the £40 a month for the Bulldog, it's £19.50 for the broadband connection, but you also have to buy the £10.50 phone line that will replace your BT line as well. This may be a hassle if you want to switch back to a different broadband provider, as even after the years contract is up (if there is one. I couldn't find it) you'll have to switch back to a BT line as most companies require this.

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
ntl 3 mb isnt too bad, shame they aren't going any faster just yet!

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'm not interested in download speeds. I usually download while I'm at work or sleeping. I'm more interested in pinging well to games servers. Nildram and Bulldog are great.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Pipex are fantastic for online gaming pings too. Anyone know what UKOnline is like?

P.s. Update - Pipex seem to want to charge me a £58.75 cancellation fee though I have one month left on the contract at £33 a month. Seems a bit bloody rediculous, I'm trying to get all miffy about it now but they don't seem to be budging :|

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So wait till the end of next month and leave for free.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
My last payment is on the 7th of may - the special offer that gets you a free wireless dsl router (worth 70 quid, and I really want it) ends on the 3rd of may. Neither company are willing to budge an inch, though I wouldn't expect UKOnline to. Pipex are being real arseholes - they said that since I'm moving to a competitor they're not willing to allow me to buy out the remainder of my contract. If I was simply moving home they'd do it. A customer loyalty thing y'see.

I'm really rather pissed off, and intend on sharing my feelings with all the major ISP review sites. Though I expect apathy will make sure that doesn't happen.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
.Wilier. said:
And thats a problem how.....?

I can get a max of 512k and tbh, after way too long in the 56k hell, Im chuffed to bits with it.

Well if I pay £29.99 for an 8mb line but only get 4mb then that to me is a bit of a waste...

You just dont realise the joys of having a faster speed than 512k...

I pitty you!

:D

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
I'd like 8mbps, but my exchange isn't one of ukonline's LLU enabled ones. :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I can see your point Dys - it's probably frustrating, but try to bear in mind that most places are offering 2mbit for more than 29.99. I'm actually going to be saving ~3 quid a month by quadrupling my bandwidth :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom