PC Master Race 4k Gaming Monitor

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Digging up a bit of an old thread rather than start a new one.

So I've got a birthday coming up and it's a biggy :( so I'm looking for stuff to cheer me up. I have enough guitars now, or at least as many as I've got room for until Esme goes to Uni, so I'm looking at the PC.

I quite like the idea of one of these here discussed ultrawides and as my R9 280 won't push it I'll need a new card too. Clearly this will be the thick end of £1k but I'll get some monies from the family to help ease the pain.

So, first question. Is the benefit from a curved screen worth the premium? Between £100-£200 or so depending on what I go for.

Second, I'm guessing that the Rx 480 probably won't cut it sadly, that means going with an Nvidia card. The 1080 is a step too far, but a 1070 should be fine, anyone have experience of this?

Any thoughts or advice would be very gratefully received.

RB

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Is the benefit from a curved screen worth the premium? Between £100-£200 or so depending on what I go for.
As a curved ultrawide (Samsung S34E790C) user, the vast majority of the time I don't even notice it but I think that's the point. I've not had any experience with a flat 34" ultrawide but, because they are so wide, you supposedly notice the curve when it's not there as the edges of the screen are that little extra bit further away so avec curve is supposed to be a more immersive experience. I absolutely adore this screen, for productivity, watching TV/films (its aspect ratio is basically 2.35:1 so proper widescreen films look fantastic) and gaming. It's "only" 60Hz and no adaptive sync but it is 18 months old now and there are bound to be better ones available (probably for less money).
...that means going with an Nvidia card.
Don't write off other AMD offerings... a Fury X can easily cope with 3440x1440 and they can be picked up for less money than a 1070, a Fury could probably cope and they're only € 350 now. The safe bet would probably be the 1070, though.

(will your new age have a "0" at the end of it? :) )

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
(will your new age have a "0" at the end of it? :) )

Yes, and a number between 4 and 6 at the beginning :(:(

Thanks Cal, my days of 'twitch' gaming are over (see above) so I'm not too bothered by keeping framerates too high. Might have a look at the Fury though. That way I could get a free sync monitor. Possibly a bit cheaper. They do use a lot more power though.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That way I could get a free sync monitor. Possibly a bit cheaper. They do use a lot more power though.
A Freesync monitor will more than likely be cheaper than an equivalently specced G-Sync monitor because Nvidia charge the manufacturer for including their tech. Yes, the more powerful current AMD offerings are undoubtedly thirstier than the Pascal cards. I don't do twitch gaming either (more because of a general lack of coordination than anything else) and I find 60Hz fine.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes, and a number between 4 and 6 at the beginning :(:(

Thanks Cal, my days of 'twitch' gaming are over (see above) so I'm not too bothered by keeping framerates too high. Might have a look at the Fury though. That way I could get a free sync monitor. Possibly a bit cheaper. They do use a lot more power though.

Ding! Gratz!! :D You beat me!! :D

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Think it was about £500.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Think it was about £500.

Right. It arrived but I'm a bit dissapointed so I'm looking for advice.

Half the screen ( in static windows mode) appears to have blurry text (right side specifically). It doesn't matter the viewing angle or the refresh rate. The only thing which resolves it is disabling gsync and enabling ULMB. Which is obviously shit as I bought it specifically for gsync.

Tried DDUing my gfx drivers, installing monitor driver (haha), new dport cables and various ports on my gfx card but nothing. Also tried multiple ICC profiles which helped with colours but nothing more.

Any advice before I RMA it? Did you have any issues?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Not using it much at the minute due to knackered right arm (joke away) but pretty sure I'd have noticed that when playing Doom last year. Never had to fuck about with it at all. The only complaint I've got is it not waking up from sleep mode when I wiggle the mouse. I have to switch it on and off. Even then i probably didn't configure it right and never got round to fixing it :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Games honestly look brilliant. But fuck me dead it's unusable in any static windows apps where I have to read text (all of them). Lowering the refresh helps a little but introduces horizontal lines on the opposite side to the blur.

Quick call to Dell in the morning then I guess it's going back in the cardboard coffin.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Games honestly look brilliant. But fuck me dead it's unusable in any static windows apps where I have to read text (all of them). Lowering the refresh helps a little but introduces horizontal lines on the opposite side to the blur.

Quick call to Dell in the morning then I guess it's going back in the cardboard coffin.
Probably is faulty but out of interest what's your gfx card?

leggy

Probably Scottish
Probably is faulty but out of interest what's your gfx card?

Getting it replaced on Friday - they didn't hesitate so I'm guessing it sounds faulty (over the phone....).

It's a GTX 980 Ti

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Fairly recent then. Must be a faulty monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom