4 classes & 2 cities canceld. PB in

GReaper

Part of the furniture
What bothers me most is that these decisions to drop classes and cities are the sort of thing you expect companies to decide on fairly early in the Beta testing process, and we're not 'early'. I remember the reasoning given when the big 'extension' to Beta was announced being that some 'polishing and refining' was needed to finish off the game. Dropping multiple classes and cities is way more fundamental than 'polishing' to my thinking.....

It does seem a bit late and getting close to the release date to decide that they're chopping off quite a bit of content. Sounds more like a game in development instead of a game in beta testing!

Apart from the fact that this is a rather late decision, I can also see some logic in it. Mythic seems to have been going in the direction that the game has to be complete and near perfect on release day, this to me seems wrong. This is an MMORPG where players expect new content on a regular basis, new zones and classes can be added at a later date quite easily. Spending years on a game and constantly delaying it because some bits aren't ready will end up with the game never being released.

It needs to be playable, it needs to be fun, but it doesn't have to be 100% complete on release day - it just needs to work.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It does seem a bit late and getting close to the release date to decide that they're chopping off quite a bit of content. Sounds more like a game in development instead of a game in beta testing!

NEWSFLASH! Beta doesn't mean "ready for launch"!

just look at AoC, its been out ~7 weeks now and STILL aint ready for launch xD

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie

It needs to be playable, it needs to be fun, but it doesn't have to be 100% complete on release day - it just needs to work.

as the dev explained, mythic tried to tweak some classes after the feedback from the beta testing.
things could seem nice on paper, but not in game.
if there was a mistake in concept, its better to solve it now in CLOSED beta

in aoc, fc chopped many classes and incorporated things in others just after OPEN beta and right BEFORE launch
and where did that lead? many class inbalances , nerfs and buffs AFTER launch making players reroll or stop playing

what do you think of wow with 9 classes, not even a new one after tbc?
they don't even introduce a new one in the next expantion, just a prestige class

i think 10 classes for each side are enough and probably they can be more flexible

as for the cities, he said they are looking for perfection in design and a place for the community to gather around.
i surely want to finish my business in 1 place and not run around in different capitals
deserted cities don't look nice anyway

lastly, city raid will be a great event, once every 1-2 months as mythic said.
noone will be bored of the burning cities

:drink:

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>

A game in (closed) beta is a game in development

jonrossi

Fledgling Freddie
Oh dear,

i have the game on pre-order (CE).

If the content ( 4 capital city!!!!!!!! omg ) is missing at launch,
does this mean the money grabbers will try and charge me for updates/expansions in the future,
for stuff that should have been there in the first place?

me thinks yes.

i hope they will let all who have the game on pre-order, update the content lost at launch for free at a later date.

not sure if i should cancel?

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Oh dear,

does this mean the money grabbers will try and charge me for updates/expansions in the future,

me thinks yes.

i hope they will let all who have the game on pre-order, update the content lost at launch for free at a later date.

You better cancel just to be on the safe side. :flame:

crash_614

Fledgling Freddie
Oh dear,

I would think that the cities will be added in something like content patches, which will be paid for through the monthly subscriptions. Baring in mind that the groundwork for these cities is already done, it shouldn't take much to get them on track.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Oh dear,

me thinks yes.

Read the interview with Marc Jacobs if you want to know whats what.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/239/feature/2041

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie

They never would,would be a huge shitfest when some players get them for free while others have to pay for them.

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
nah they wont charge. its harly worth making an expansion ofr that . also the cities should come out in the first few months ( too early for a paid for expansion). they are doing this to release a more stable and compitent game not to get more money off us. at the end of the day MMO's take massive capital to set up, high upkeep costs, but any mildly successfull MMO makes more money than you could imagine.. they cuold in theory give away all paid for expansions but hey this is business

Gahn

Resident Freddy
The class cut out is rather disappointing while i find the Capitol Cities cut out a good move in the long term (less spreading out of the community and focusing on Realm wide objectives).
They surely suffered such a decision even more considering it gone out just before E3, that said i prefer a solid, balanced and almost complete game at release than some half made, unbalanced or underpar content to be put in.
It surely shows they DO care about the product quality.

Guyton

Fledgling Freddie
A reduced content at launch isn't worrying me after my experiences recently of AoC I would rather have a stable, reliable gaming platform rather than having everything at once but with a ton of performance issues and spending the last month balancing a class or two insted of addressing the perfomance in general.

I would be suprised if the gaming population would be in a situation to need more than 2 cities to raid before the other cities start appearing, though those powergamers sure are focused beasts :)

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
Just to clear things up a little. With respect to the game at launch NOTHING has been cut or lost. Nowhere will you find a list of what WILL be in the game at launch and people (myself included) only feel a sense of less because we expected to see this stuff in at launch after watching it all go through the development phase. More stuff could be chopped or added before launch. It is of course dangerous to make assumptions about launch content for any game in development.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
NEWSFLASH! Beta doesn't mean "ready for launch"!

just look at AoC, its been out ~7 weeks now and STILL aint ready for launch xD

AoC is one thing, but tbh CoH was dodgy at release, so was Lotro, WoW was twitchy, SWG was utterly broken, EvE had issues, Vanguard was nacked and the list goes on.

I have yet to see a single mmorpg launch with no significant problems :)

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
As far as stability you're about right.
Gameplay wise and content wise there was still a lot that was lacking or needed patching.
1.36 was the live patch and had such joys as non itemized dungeons and even an empty zone, no CC immunity what so ever, empty relic keeps, magic resists had yet to be consolidated into 6 types, spec lines that had only 1 or 2 spells etc

Danita

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
and yet there was enough there for most of us not to care ;]

Guilds could still siege Keeps an have great fun doing so, without too much conern over relics etc.

I cannot ever remember there being much in the way of angry peasant mobs with burning torches complaining about no relics.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Oh there were those, but stun(mez)gaurd had them much more worried.

Danita

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
Daoc even on launch was great fun. even though the grind to 50 was very painfull for some classes

but also when daoc launched many ppl had not played anything online before except maybe diablo 2 so even at launch it was a new concept and ppl loved it .

now most ppl now have had a taste of a few mmo's and last 2-3 years of releases has left a nasty taste in many peoples mouths.

lets just hope that WAR goes gold when its ready and not pushed out by EA when its still needs a lot of work to be enjoyable.

sure u will get bugs / unfinished content / broken quests etc but as long as there is a much larger % of it working great than bad then people wont mind

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Id argue that DAOC launched without significant problems.

God it was a while ago now, however from memory...Mentalists were a broken class, huge server crashes, first relic raids where the entire zone crashed leaving characters unavailable, realm-side bugs where you could get into an enemy realm through the realm gate (DL for example), floor bugs all over the place, half the time wandering around TNN and CM you'd fall through the floor...or the wall, seem to remember pet pathing as fubar at release, no fixes for some issues, hot fixes not working properly and causing more issues, wasn't the guild system bugged as well? seem to remember something about that but really cant be specific...

Im certain there was a lot wrong with DAoC at release but tbh after all this time it's hard to remember release enought to be able to distinguish it from most of the first year :)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
and yet there was enough there for most of us not to care ;]

Guilds could still siege Keeps an have great fun doing so, without too much conern over relics etc.

I cannot ever remember there being much in the way of angry peasant mobs with burning torches complaining about no relics.

Oh absolutely, it was awesome fun and for many players it was their first mmo, but that doesn't disguise the fact that there were issues at release, even if most of us didn't really care too much about them back then :)

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
just been reading some interesting agruments about Punkbuster on warhammeralliance.com and there are alot of ppl saying PB is crap and causes more problems than it solves. Randomly kicks you out of the game for no reason and that you have to update the program yourself. Surely by paying for a service it should update by itself? I've never played any of the games that used it, just wondered if anyone else knows how PB works and if it's as crap as it sounds?

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
just been reading some interesting agruments about Punkbuster on warhammeralliance.com and there are alot of ppl saying PB is crap and causes more problems than it solves. Randomly kicks you out of the game for no reason and that you have to update the program yourself. Surely by paying for a service it should update by itself? I've never played any of the games that used it, just wondered if anyone else knows how PB works and if it's as crap as it sounds?

tbfh, how would you and others know how PB works on a MMORPG game when there hasnt been any PB on any other MMORPG yet.

better PB and mythics defense then only mythics

2 is allways better then 1.

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
umm this is not a flame and your right there was/is no list. but i think your wrong, they have been cut, the classes were up on the website as playable classes and this whole thread is because the devs said themselves that they had to cut them for the time being

Bone_Idle

Fledgling Freddie
I'm glad that Mythic are actually looking into to these classes that have been pulled from release rather than them releasing a class then nerfing the crap out of it later.

Ahem animist ahem :kissit:

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
tbfh, how would you and others know how PB works on a MMORPG game when there hasnt been any PB on any other MMORPG yet.

better PB and mythics defense then only mythics

true no idea on a mmorpg, but if people are commenting from past experience with other platforms ill take that info over knowing absolutely nothing of PB.

but end of the day we have no choice in this. gonna be live with it and just hope they can keep the hackers/cheaters numbers down ..at least now if the do get hacked a lot mythic has someone to point a finger at :D

2 is allways better then 1.

you didn't watch any of the following then?

Oceans Twelve
Dumb and Dumberer
Speed 2
The Fly 2
Chaddshack 2
Matrix reloaded
Teenwolf 2

teenwolf_l.jpg

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
I rather see those chars deleted than have another warlock-class on WHO :(

Gahn

Resident Freddy

They already told that PB technology will only help em monitor and highlight possible Hacks, after the alert they gonna dig the logs etc to decide if a ban is in order or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom