4 classes & 2 cities canceld. PB in

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Not suprised, information was very sparse on those classes but still, shame they removed them though. 4 very big classes in the game though (table top)

Perhaps they feel putting everything out so quickly would mean less for an expansion in 6-12 months? :(

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
Hmmm tbh i think its a damn good idea, i agree no real info were on any of them careers but i also think this might speed things up a little. It makes way for the careers to be part of an expansion later on which i dont mind as long as they do not do a toa type expansion where new items are alot more overpowered than the original. They will also probably roleplay some event in introducing the other capital cities at some point. I can really see this game being released without any more delays now :D

Its best to have a great game at the start than a rushed one :)

horlely

Fledgling Freddie
Only 2 Capitol Cities = lag lag lag lag
The rvr seems based on the 6 Capitol Cities.
So the game is not rdy whit only 2 Capitol Cities.

Think the better delay the release.
Till the 4 other Capitol Cities are rdy.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
More importantly, 2 of the races are losing their primary tank class

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
They could add the fabulous city of Camelot to Warhammer.

2008 and one still has frame lag in there.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Meh - can't say I'm too worried.

Less cities means less Darnassus vs. Ironforge (any alliance wanna defend Darnassus? :D), and cities are rather easy to implement.

Less classes - sucks for those who wanted to play them yes, and it'll be interesting to see how the races will be without tanks, but the game is RvR not race vs. race or 1 vs. 1, so I'd rather have 20 working classes then 24 half-working. Or 24 where half needs to be nerfed, buffed or altered uncrontrolled short after launch.
The pendulum of nerf/buff can be just as annoying if hitting you hard. (Zerkers/SZ from DAoC ... ouch)

My main worry though is that due to this move, Mythic has less chance of screwing up launch then they did before. Many will be standing by to just jump down their throat if launch is messed up or the game is buggy.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I don't know what to think here. Is it a big loss?

If the game had 6 realms then it would be horrible for those realms, but it's not, it's 2 realms.

Of the 6 races there are 6 Meat Shield tanks. Do we really need that many? Ok, they are 'unique' because they're that races tank, but a Meat Tank has a fairly simple code of what they must be able to do...tank, so they will always be similar.

Lets take daoc. I always found the BM, Zerker, Savage and Merc too similar. A melee DPS class is essential, but imagine Midgard having the Merc, Zerker and Savage...it'd be overkill!

6 tanks cant all be that different from one another...

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
No big deal.

The capital cities will all make the game, just not at release. They have not been dropped and they certainly have not been cancelled as the thread title claims.

The 4 removed classes might be added at a later date if they can be made to work, they haven't been dropped altogether.

Given a choice of a dodgy release with full content, a more stable release with reduced content or another 6 month delay, i think most people would want to get stuck in sooner rather than later and try-out the other content as it is perfected.

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
i so hope they release a game that aint to buggy/ unpolished .. looks like a step in the right direction

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
So it's raiding the same city again and again :( And PB really didin't stop much cheating back when i played 1.6 CS :p

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
So it's raiding the same city again and again :( And PB really didin't stop much cheating back when i played 1.6 CS :p

it seems strange conidering the amount of money they are spending on this game that they would contract out the security side.

i dont know much about hacking cheating exploits etc but i would of thought the people who actually made the game would be the best to secure it ?

please if any one can throw some light on this im not baiting anti mythic or anything i just find it strange

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
it seems strange conidering the amount of money they are spending on this game that they would contract out the security side.

i dont know much about hacking cheating exploits etc but i would of thought the people who actually made the game would be the best to secure it ?

please if any one can throw some light on this im not baiting anti mythic or anything i just find it strange

While Mythic/EA might have Developed the game, Punkbuster have the knowledge on how things like 3rd party programs (packet spoofing etc) work and so can advise Mythic on how to update / secure the game-client and prevent such actions. Its not uncommon nowadays for a 3rd party to run a 'hack' attempt and advise the Developer on how to avoid it in the future.

Better Punkbuster than gameguard hey? :)

Aurelius LH

Fledgling Freddie
What bothers me most is that these decisions to drop classes and cities are the sort of thing you expect companies to decide on fairly early in the Beta testing process, and we're not 'early'. I remember the reasoning given when the big 'extension' to Beta was announced being that some 'polishing and refining' was needed to finish off the game. Dropping multiple classes and cities is way more fundamental than 'polishing' to my thinking.....

As for PunkBuster - last time EA tried adopting it, for Ultima Online, the response from the playerbase and the technical issues EA ran into led to the idea getting dropped. What's 'improved' now?

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
What bothers me most is that these decisions to drop classes and cities are the sort of thing you expect companies to decide on fairly early in the Beta testing process, and we're not 'early'. I remember the reasoning given when the big 'extension' to Beta was announced being that some 'polishing and refining' was needed to finish off the game. Dropping multiple classes and cities is way more fundamental than 'polishing' to my thinking.....
<snip>

Actually - it would be something you expect from a company that takes it job seriously.
It is not an "early" beta decision by far. It is a "we've tried to balance it for a long time without getting it to work properly" decision or a "new testing data have been accumulated over the last couple of months which showed disparity" decision.

It is much more then "polish" to drop/delay content like this - agreed - but could also be that the beta testers just recently found the classes either terrible underpowered or terrible overpowered, and the cities redundant.
It could be that Mythic thought the classes and cities were good enough, but feedback and data-testing showed disparity.
Could be many things which make it an "early" decision impossible.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
So it's raiding the same city again and again :(

I don't think Mythic had plans for the Cities to be raided on a daily or even weekly basis ( at least not in their marketing). So even if those 4 would have still been in, I don't think you would have seen more than a few sieges in the timeframe it may take them to add them now.
Loosing some higher end Pve dungeons and quite a few quests for your own side, might make the pve side a little less varied and a lot less interesting.
Then again not as exciting or even boring content, still is just that.
It will all depend on the time it will take to finish them.

Danita

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
The [NEGATIVE]

I think its actually fair to say that Mythic are quite hypocritical. For so long they have put back the expected release date saying "we will release the game when it's great. and only when its great".
Now they are releasing the game missing really massive content because they are unable to come up with suitable designs.

I personally would have preferred a delay and have it all in one. It has not helped Mythic that they cocked up DAoC with expansions like TOA, and then putting back WAR, and now releasing WAR less than great, less than the hype they built up themselves.

The [POSITIVE]

With all that said, this is not a reason to give up on WAR. We already know that Mythic have planned and slowly started working on the next 2 "bit patches". (Maybe if they just focused on what's in front of them instead of the future, we might have a great game on release), Which will hopefully bring in the 4 Cities for us to go and destroy.
:cheers:

The game itself is still going to be good on release, it will be great after a couple of major patches. Like all MMO, the game is never perfect on retail, and normally there is even a large download before you even get your retail box home and installed.

The [CHEESEY BIT]

The community is what will make WAR great. Mythic can design a game, but they can not design a community. That's what we do as the players, as guild and alliance leaders who step up to the plate and lead their friends into fun adventures no matter what game is in front of them.

d34k

Fledgling Freddie
With regret, I've cancelled my pre-order. I'm no longer onside with the "vision" of WAR.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

Been wondering about this as well tbh, I can't think of a modern mmo who has used something like PB, using something like PB to me indicates the game is reasonably easy to hack.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Actually - it would be something you expect from a company that takes it job seriously.
It is not an "early" beta decision by far. It is a "we've tried to balance it for a long time without getting it to work properly" decision or a "new testing data have been accumulated over the last couple of months which showed disparity" decision.

It is much more then "polish" to drop/delay content like this - agreed - but could also be that the beta testers just recently found the classes either terrible underpowered or terrible overpowered, and the cities redundant.
It could be that Mythic thought the classes and cities were good enough, but feedback and data-testing showed disparity.
Could be many things which make it an "early" decision impossible.

Absolutely, they seem to have tried their best to make these things work by keeping them going all this time, but have simply had to admit defeat for the time being with release looming.

Choice is, do players want to play a broken class or to acknowledge that the class isn't ready but it will be introduced once it's fixed (if it's fixed)?

Shades of SWG come to mind, many classes like the Commando, Bio-Engineer etc were all utterly fubar at release and took ages to fix them, some might argue they never fixed all the classes. SWG then dropped a load of classes and streamlined the game in an attempt to make it work better and we all know how that ended...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The [NEGATIVE]

I think its actually fair to say that Mythic are quite hypocritical. For so long they have put back the expected release date saying "we will release the game when it's great. and only when its great".
Now they are releasing the game missing really massive content because they are unable to come up with suitable designs.

what massive content? 2 cities and 4 classes isn't massive content.

now if they would have pulled an entire RACE and the zones that came with them i just *might* have been forced to agree with you.

and he specifically said that they WILL add the cities and classes later. and even if those specific classes wont make it they will add other classes. its not like those 4 classes were the only ones in the tabletop game.

and i kinda agree with him. having massively broken classes that they would have to change alot in the coming months (and still maybe not get right) sure as hell isnt my idea of fun.

ppl still have 20 classes to chose from.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Been wondering about this as well tbh, I can't think of a modern mmo who has used something like PB, using something like PB to me indicates the game is reasonably easy to hack.

Yeah,it keeps bugging me aswell. Never seen it been used on anything else than FPS-games.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie

In fact I think it makes perfect sense.
One part is experienced in looking for processes, scanning stuff for hacks, cheats, exploits - the other is experienced in developing games where the aforementioned elements will be used.
It only makes sense to "outsource" or buy assistance in areas you aren't an expert, if you can't become an expert yourself within the same allotted resources.

I look forward to seeing this in effect, and hope it can help bust some punks fast and hard.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Yeah,it keeps bugging me aswell. Never seen it been used on anything else than FPS-games.

players who somehow find a way arround PB allways were caught fast in other games!

i assume that they will do the same here.

Whats the point of cheating anyway? play offline then if u wanne be the 1337

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Isnt it a sad state when we have to actively combat would be cheaters on GAMES. Bloody hell , we all love the online games, but how low must some people be to feel the need to cheat to win???

I hate and pitty these people.

The classes? not such a big deal imo. There are still 20 classes in the game, if thats not enough for people, then they need to take a reality check.

The cities....hmm im not sure. Its nice they want to release good content of course, but I thought the game was modelled around 3 conflicts with the aim of sacking the enemies capital. Now we arnt getting that, we have 1 true battground to fight over and two sideshows?

hmm this wasnt what it said on the tin imo.

We are talking about the model of the game here, not just some itemisation etc.

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
from an insider point of view (and not giving anything away cept a personal opinion)

I think it's not a bad thing tho i hope they can implement them in a later stage :)

And y I think it's also a bit hyporcritical when ur aim is quality then to crack under time pressure. But i forgive em as i know that they're working really hard :)

JohnnyBoy555

Fledgling Freddie
This should mean that the game will release on time.:clap:

Two cities makes more sense from a strategic point of view. They can add or alternate between the other cities when all is running smoothly.

We still have 20 classes at release. More than enough to be going on with.

I'm still more worried by GOA running our side of the game

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Hah, I had no idea there were still 20 classes left. Was about to get my strop on!

Not such a big deal imo, if it means they can "perfect" two cities rather than have 6 shoddy ones then I'm all for it. All remains to be seen though, as per usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom