3D Image Software

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I don't know if 3D image software is the right term for it, but is there software you can get where you take pictures of say your dog/car/house etc from different sides and scan it then make it into a 3D model?

I know there's 3DS Max but I never used it or anything like it. I don't want to animate the picture or anything, just make some nice looking 3D models to use as graphics really.

I've tried Googling but I don't really know what terms I should be searching for, being totally clueless on the subject.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
SciFi Meshes may be a good place to start/get tutorials on it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hmmm, I remember an app called Canoma made by Metacreations a few years ago that did just this. I'm not sure what happened to Metacreations - they also made Poser and Bryce, but these have since been taken over by other companies.

Resources for Canoma users

It seems Adobe is now in charge of Canoma. I don't think it's exactly what you're after - as I remember it you have to take pictures of whatever from all angles and then you kind of map the pictures around a similar shaped object.

Edit - BUT... "Currently, neither Adobe nor Metacreations are selling Canoma or offering technical support. Hopefully these pages will provide a little background to those interested and some help for previous purchasers of the software." :(

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks, I don't really know what I'm looking for, I was hoping someone here might already do something like this for a living or a hobby and have the perfect software to use for it.

Overdriven, that site looks a bit too intense for me - I'm not going to start knocking out 3D realistic models of Battlestar Galactica or anything, I was just thinking of adding a bit more 3Dness to my web designs now and again. Still, it's probably worth reading through a few threads I guess.

caLLous, never heard of Canoma so I'll have a look. It seems Adobe are in charge of everything I use these days. I had a little look at Poser, but it seems to be mainly aimed at creating people by the look of it, which still would be useful.

dysfunction, cheers I'm going to look at all those, my searching powers aren't as good as yours - I just don;t think of the obvious sometimes. All I could find with my searches was photo stitching software to create panoramas and stick photos onto cubes etc. :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah Poser and Bryce are nothing to do with what you want to do, I just mentioned them because they were better known Metacreations products than Canoma. Poser is great, although the interface is clunky and feels like it slows the whole application down.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
That 3dsom thing that dysfunction linked to looks ace, but it's nearly 1500 quid... maybe one day.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Nah, I'm more of a 'pay for stuff' kind of guy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom