300 years of the "Union"

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Going back to the point about Wind resources though, as Scouse will happily verify, they are only profitable when energy companies are forced to pay for Renewables Obligation Certificates. A large wind generation capacity subsidised by ROCs in Scotland only, not the whole UK, would leave Scottish pensioners fucked into hypothermia.

Coal it is then, 'cause nuclear would die a death if we weren't willing to pick up the lions share of the bill in the form of magical waste "disposal" :p

:)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Or considering the number of rivers and waterfalls we have, maybe HydroElectric would be more sensible? Seems to work pretty well for Norway.....

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Coal it is then, 'cause nuclear would die a death if we weren't willing to pick up the lions share of the bill in the form of magical waste "disposal" :p

That's ignoring the various forms of nuclear generation that actually CONSUME waste that could be invested in and is also ignoring the fact that a large amount of the legacy nuclear waste we have is actually from nuclear WEAPONS research. But you knew that :p

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Or considering the number of rivers and waterfalls we have, maybe HydroElectric would be more sensible? Seems to work pretty well for Norway.....
Worth a try. Certainly a lot more useful than wind, but the conservationists and NIMBYs would need forcing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's ignoring the various forms of nuclear generation that actually CONSUME waste that could be invested in and is also ignoring the fact that a large amount of the legacy nuclear waste we have is actually from nuclear WEAPONS research.

They reprocess waste - but they don't eat it up and spit out harmless animal food products do they.

And why do you think that I'd think it's OK that some (but a much smaller amount than from power generation) nuclear waste is OK because some dick decided that having enough H-Bombs to destroy the entire planet several times over lying about was a good idea ;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
They reprocess waste - but they don't eat it up and spit out harmless animal food products do they.

And why do you think that I'd think it's OK that some (but a much smaller amount than from power generation) nuclear waste is OK because some dick decided that having enough H-Bombs to destroy the entire planet several times over lying about was a good idea ;)

You sure you're not thinking of old fast-breeder designs? And the food product bit is a pointless argument. Who says they need to? Used Wind Turbines don't magically turn into Somerset Brie at the end of their lifespan to the best of my knowledge.

Read up on some modern reactor designs like these babies:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/07/bill_gates_terrapower_china/

As to the second paragraph I don't need for it to be OK because it's not relevant. Nuclear Weapons and Nuclear Power research were often done hand in hand in the 40s and 50s so it's hard to say what is the waste of each one. The point still stands that every generation of design produces less waste than the last so it's a good idea to invest in nuclear to make it better rather than not invest because you find it spooky.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Indeed it is.

Having read it however it shows me that we've got more to worry about than whether Scotland separates on or not.

£2,000.00 deficit per head = la la land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom