300 years of the "Union"

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What we dont want is very different tax or legal regimes, that would lead to unfair markets. I can certainly see Scotland taking the piss and dropping various rates to encourage people to move there from England with their businesses but it's not good for the Island over all as it would just turn into a race to the bottom on taxes.

There's nothing at all wrong with using the tax system to attract business.

The Scots can leave if they want to. They'd better not forget to pay us their share of the national debt, however.

Chilly

Balls of steel
There's nothing at all wrong with using the tax system to attract business.

The Scots can leave if they want to. They'd better not forget to pay us their share of the national debt, however.
There is if they take the piss. We need to be able to stop them setting their taxes too far out of line with ours to make sure they dont just decide to turn into a dodgy tax haven and be cunts.

rynnor

Rockhound
What happens to the SNP when the scots vote no?

If (and this is purely theoretical) Scotland did leave the union they would be ok till the oil ran out (I doubt Salmond would last long either way).

After the oil ran out they would be in trouble much like the gulf states will be.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There is if they take the piss. We need to be able to stop them setting their taxes too far out of line with ours to make sure they dont just decide to turn into a dodgy tax haven and be cunts.

Heaven forbid that a government should actually lower tax on business. I mean, what a ridiculous thing to do!

:eek:

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

If (and this is purely theoretical) Scotland did leave the union they would be ok till the oil ran out (I doubt Salmond would last long either way).

After the oil ran out they would be in trouble much like the gulf states will be.

These are very pertinent points that Fat Alex has yet to address.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
What will be next? Every bloody village will want independence.

"Welcome to Dunny on the Wold (population: 17). Please have your passports ready for inspection"

old.user4556

What will be next? Every bloody village will want independence.

"Welcome to Dunny on the Wold (population: 17). Please have your passports ready for inspection"

Very true.

Aberdeenshire and the Highlands will want independence from the lowlands Scots areas since they're the ones bringing all the oil / money in and Edinburgh will want independence from the scummy shite over in Glasgow.

Lets be honest, those of you in the south east of the country would bin everything north of the M25 :).

Zede

Part of the furniture
fishy has to call this referendum, as like any party he has hardcore supporters who got him there in the first place. I'll go to Willliam Hilll now and place a tenner bet they will never win independance, and another tenner on the us republicans not gertting back in this decade.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Very true.

Aberdeenshire and the Highlands will want independence from the lowlands Scots areas since they're the ones bringing all the oil / money in and Edinburgh will want independence from the scummy shite over in Glasgow.

Lets be honest, those of you in the south east of the country would bin everything north of the M25 :).
You mean stuff exists north of Watford?

Mey

Part of the furniture
I wonder what will happen to all the free loading Scottish uni students if this happened.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Fear of a "no" vote is the reason Salmond is now pushing to include the "Devo Max" question on the ballot (which he was formerly dead against), an option that if the Scots voted for (and why wouldn't they?) would allow them their own tax-raising powers etc.

I think too much is being made of Scotland's viability being only reliant on oil. I know that now is not a great time to be using them as an example, but Ireland has got by for nearly a century or so with fuck all in the way of natural resources, so I'm sure Scotland could (although Ireland has a much better agricultural base than Scotland, Scotland has certain assets that make it suitable for wind and wave energy generation etc.)

My biggest concern in all this is that Devo Max does get on the ballot (its bad for the Union, because it can create some of the problems of the Eurozone in minature), because the Scots would almost certainly vote for it, especially when the Scots realise some of the implications of full independence (like their relationship with the EU/Euro)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I think a lot might tbh and Gaff's right that Salmond's pushing it because he now has his mandate but knows that it's still unlikely he would win a full independence referendum. If that was all there was and he lost it it would put the question to bed for a generation. If he won 'Devo-MAX' then he could try coming back to full independence next term or whenever he thought he could win.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Going back to the point about Wind resources though, as Scouse will happily verify, they are only profitable when energy companies are forced to pay for Renewables Obligation Certificates. A large wind generation capacity subsidised by ROCs in Scotland only, not the whole UK, would leave Scottish pensioners fucked into hypothermia.

old.user4556

We've got an ageing population anyway.

Take them out in the cold and leave them to it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
So after doing some reading, it would seem that general opinion suggests that the scottish economy is diverse and stable enough for the country to be self sufficient, with a small deficit at the very worst. You would assume that if the country did become self sufficient, things like free higher education would have to go to make up that deficit, unless they went the scandinavian route and made raised taxes to cover such things (highly unlikely). Also, what would happen re. healthcare? The NHS may not be around for a great deal longer anyway, but would it carry on in Scotland? What do Scots see as the main benefits of being independent?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Why would the NHS go anywhere? Just because portions of it are being privatised does not mean you'll have to pay for it at the point of use. The NHS don't write their own software or make their own xray machines, and why would they?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Would be more interesting to give the English a referendum...
This. I'd quite like to put on record something along the lines of "I don't want those cunts who get us to pay for stuff that we can't have ourselves to have any more money" but it would be a pointless exercise. Just like all this talk of Scotland is anyway. You got beaten, get over it, it's 2012 for fucks sake.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Why would the NHS go anywhere? Just because portions of it are being privatised does not mean you'll have to pay for it at the point of use. The NHS don't write their own software or make their own xray machines, and why would they?

Selling off hospitals looks like the beginning of the end for me. It won't be too long before people earning over a certain amount are forced to have private health insurance imo.

rynnor

Rockhound
Cornwall still make noises about independence too. Idiots.

Instant 3rd world status - nice!

Away from the sea fronts Cornwall is one of the poorest places I have seen in the UK - its where old cars go to die...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I wonder what will happen to all the free loading Scottish uni students if this happened.

I'm guessing by free loading you mean "haven't been fucked over by their government", right?

Damn them scots and their still-having-a-uni-fee-structure-like-we-used-to, eh?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
No we wouldn't.

I think you would. It would be pitched as "more independence without being forced to reapply to the EU and having to join the euro" (which will be the theme used by the "no" campaign). It would appeal to the pro-independence crowd and the unionists. Its certainly the reason why Cameron is dead against a devo max option on the ballot; the last thing the UK gov needs is the pound being negatively affected by Scottish politicians creating their own debt problems that the Bank of England would have to underwrite.

rynnor

Rockhound
I think you would. It would be pitched as "more independence without being forced to reapply to the EU and having to join the euro" (which will be the theme used by the "no" campaign). It would appeal to the pro-independence crowd and the unionists. Its certainly the reason why Cameron is dead against a devo max option on the ballot; the last thing the UK gov needs is the pound being negatively affected by Scottish politicians creating their own debt problems that the Bank of England would have to underwrite.

I think you are probably right - this is the option that worries me because it will be a festering wound to the Union. If voted for Westminster would feel bound to give them something (less than the SNP would ask for) but that anything would be greatly resented by the rest of the Union and might lead Wales/NI to try the same thing.

The SNP would continue to agitate saying they were being gypped by Westminster and use it as a rallying point for full independance. A yes/no vote is whats needed here.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
This. I'd quite like to put on record something along the lines of "I don't want those cunts who get us to pay for stuff that we can't have ourselves to have any more money" but it would be a pointless exercise. Just like all this talk of Scotland is anyway. You got beaten, get over it, it's 2012 for fucks sake.

Reading posts like this I would very much like Scotland to be granted independence, just so we can be in a separate country from all you arrogant ignorant cunts down south.

You could however, prove me wrong, by telling me when exactly Scotland got beaten? Becuase I really hope you aren't referring to Culloden. Really.....

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Reading posts like this I would very much like Scotland to be granted independence, just so we can be in a separate country from all you arrogant ignorant cunts down south.
Good, then fuck off and fund it. You say we're arrogant, you all think you can run a country without the money to do so. In case you hadn't noticed that's the same bullshit thinking that's constantly being reported on in the news at the moment. So, good luck with that.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Good, then fuck off and fund it. You say we're arrogant, you all think you can run a country without the money to do so. In case you hadn't noticed that's the same bullshit thinking that's constantly being reported on in the news at the moment. So, good luck with that.

Speaking to someone who works offshore getting all that lovely oil we have under the water I think we'll be absolutely fine. There's still a metric fuckload down there in the North Sea and as mentioned we have found a load off the Shetland Isles as well. Add in the Natural Gas down there and the potential of Shale Gas as well, and there are plenty of natural resources for us to use. Add in all the other stuff we are historically amongst the best at, such as Engineering, Shipbuilding, Steel Production, Scotch and Science, plus all the Tourism, we have got plenty to make a decent country out of.

We just need someone who can inspire the Scots to have a bit of pride in what we have achieved over the years, and I'm sorry, but Fishface isn't the man to do it. Not suggesting we need a modern day William Wallace, just someone a bit more inspiring than that commie twat.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
We just need someone who can inspire the Scots to have a bit of pride in what we have achieved over the years, and I'm sorry, but Fishface isn't the man to do it. Not suggesting we need a modern day William Wallace, just someone a bit more inspiring than that commie twat.
Agreed.

Don't agree with the rest but I've got to go out and tbh it's a pointless conversation. For me it's a case of "do it and fuck off" or "shut the fuck up" mostly because I can't be doing with people pissing around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom