25 Fookin Years !!!!!

Kryten

Old Cow.
Didn't have any BBC's at school. Later one a couple of RM Nimbus machines and something called a "Cub" i seem to recall.
Half way through junior school I knew more about them than the teachers did :/

I'm sure I had elite on the Atari too - can't quite recall.
Never was a fan of the Amigas. Poor man's PC. And as far as the recording studios went - I saw far more using 4mb Atari ST's than Amigas.
Oh, TOS, we love you!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
ZX Spectrum...what a great computer. Upgraded it from the sponge keyboard and added a drive to it to avoid using cassette tapes but it wasn't that much better!

Spent many many many hours a day playing the usual games as others mentioned earlier....also spent days typing in basic code from a "games book" to get a "game" going and none of them worked!

My dad got me an 8086 PC and had no idea how to use it. Was given a few hints from a guy at my Dads work on what a .exe, .bat and .com files were used for and I was well on my way! I think the very first game I played on it was Leisure Suite Larry! It was on there when I got it...

Managed to damage the system by mucking about with its bios :D . But thats how you learn isnt it?

Progressed to an 286, 486, P1, P2, P3 etc...

Kryten

Old Cow.
Exactly, dysfunction - oddly enough, the time I started mucking around with computers is the time that my psychiatrist can most accurately pinpoint the start of my "mental condition" due to the speed I picked that and other things up. I still remember the exact way I did it too - on the aforementioned Wang, I found a disk sellotaped to the top. It was a 5 1/2" floppy disk (a real floppy disk!) with Wordperfect on. It said "type install" on it, so I did.

Funny really, as beforehand my father spend about 2 hours typing "run" "start" "open" "load" "do something" and anything else that came into mind. He gave up and gave the machine to me :D Only 5 years old, too :|

Always was the outcast because everyone else had things like amiga's and atari 2600's.

I often get the chance to think how far we've come at my current work. On monday last week, I removed a 3 tonne data storage device from a company. It had 128 x 800mb hard drives in, each weighed roughly 14 kilos, and very large - plus the controlling equipment in the cabinet. Meaning that in total, there's more storage in the average laptop hard drive bought off the shelves these days. 3 tons to a few grams in 20 years.

G

i remember going into my local dixonx and typing in *tv245 on the bbcB computers to make the screen res go all fucked up.....

wrote a space invaders game on a research machine at school, although it ws pretty poo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom