25 Fookin Years !!!!!

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
christ just calculated that its 25 years ago this month i got my first computer,zx spectrum arrived and what a year couple of years i had with it.remember smashin about 5 tape players trying to get one to load lol.ah memories hehe.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
heh i think i remember haveing one of those when i was about 3/4 (was born in 1985) i was abit to young to understand wtf it was and what you had to do. But i think i remember some game where you had to round sheep up into a pen. Was basicaly just 5 white dots(sheep) and 1 black dot(dog).

...And yes even i remember it takeing 5 trys to get it to load.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Sharp MZ-800 here, with a....disk drive! :worthy:

Also had the "external" casette drive :D

It was the luxury model, must've been 4-5 when it arrived, around 1983-84.

Was the best in the neighborhood.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
MSX-1, with a tape drive. then C64 with, again, a tape drive (switched due to the fact that all my mates had '64s). then upgraded with the cartridge that you could stick in the back. then a 5.25" floppy drive, then an Amiga, then after a hiatus, a (shudders) Cyrix "486" (it wasn't really, the dirty liars) at 66 Mhz with a 200MB hdd (first Doom playing sessions till the early hours). upgraded it with a 4x cdrom player after a year or so. that's 20+ to 15+ years ago hehe

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Commodore Pet 8k in 1979 :) Then a Tandy TRS-80. Then a Vic-20, C64 (with floppy), Amiga 500, then a 486sx25 with a whopping 8mb of ram :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
ZX81, IBM 286, 486SX33 (I was dead jealous cos my mate had the DX33 - I so wanted that maths coprocessor at the time) then various pentiums.

Kryten

Old Cow.
ZX Speccy, naturally and an Atari 800XL (followed closely by an XE, than an ST) and had mastered Basic on my old man's Wang International PC (8086!) by 1986! :D

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
heheheheh Kryten said wang.....

I also started on a speccy 48k (rubber keyed goodness!), then graduated to an Amstrad CPC6128 (with the disk drive no less), then to my first PS2, this time an IBM PS2 with a 386-16 CPU. Then got a 486DX33, then went to the Pentiums.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I remember when my dad brought home the very first electronic calculator I or anyone had ever seen. The size of a large book with LED and no extra functions, just + - x and divide.

Computers, pah! :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yer just an old fart, admit it ;)

Can't beat those old PS/2 machines anyway. I never owned one, but had a few friends that did. Oddly enough, I've probably handled around 200 of them in the last month alone through work (removing hard drives)
Built like brick shithouses and the keyboards - a quality you can't get any more, not even the stupidly expensive Cherry jobbies can compete.
You can play cricket, with real cricket balls, using the PS/2 keyboard as a bat, and the ball will come off worse.
And that satisfying tappy tappy as you type on it - Bliss.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Started my comp useage with a C64 myself, must be... 16-17 or so years ago. Wonder what weird machines we will be using in another 16 years.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just think, in 30 years or so, someone will make a thread named "25 Fookin Years! with the subject starting with "It's been 25 years since my first playstation! I remember when i was like 4 and opened my xmas present."

Damini

Part of the furniture
ZX Spectrum for me. Ghostbusters with the amazing voice technology - "HESLOIMEDME!". Oh Mummy, the ancient Egyptian version of Pacman. Jet Set Willy, and having to type in seven pages of code before you loaded it to iron out all the bugs, only to have it crash anyway. Manic Miner. Trashman! Nobody under the age of 20 can believe you actually played a game which had you emptying bins, but it was the business. My favourite game was Hall of the Things though.

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
I know you understand it mate, but I had to explain it to the under 50's...

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
My old man bought a ZX80 which came in kit form, I remember the sheer joy of assembling it and its mighty 0.5k memory.

I filled my pants with excrement when the ZX81 arrived and I typed in BASIC for 7 hours just to make a train made out of zero's and black blocks go left to right across the TV and say CHOO CHOO.

PWNED.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
hehe

I got my first spectrum in 1981. Have never looked back. Awesome computer at the time and I bought the thermal printer and the microdrives to go with it.

The spectrum was the only computer that ever caused me to punch someone and break my finger. He sat on it so I punched him :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'm just waiting for someone to say their first computer was an N64 or something, just to see the lynching that occurs ;)

Back in the days of the rubber keys and the tape decks (20 minutes of loading followed by an error - bliss!) if you knew something about computers, you were a god. You were above the people who fixed your telephone line, knew more than Eintsein. But always buggered if you could find a tape deck that played all yer games :/

I remember the upgrade to teh 5 1/2" floppies on my Atari - pure joy to work with. Only a couple of games spring to mind from that machine - Boulderdash (pwnage!) Montezumas Revenge (i even remember playing this for the first time on a colour tv!) and Karatika (same graphics engine as the original Prince of Persia - wow!). Oh, and the only cartridge game I possessed for this system was Donkey Kong :D

I spent far too long as a youth playing Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner :/ Oh, and Paperboy, although that was a bit later on.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
"Mine" was a BBC Micro that my dad had on loan from work, because we're poor-ish. I vaguely remember some very strange games, including this one. I didn't get my own personal computer until I was 13 or so.

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
hehe

I got my first spectrum in 1981. Have never looked back. Awesome computer at the time and I bought the thermal printer and the microdrives to go with it.

The spectrum was the only computer that ever caused me to punch someone and break my finger. He sat on it so I punched him :)

hehe remember that bloody printer it came with like a bog roll paper.

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
just had a look on fleabay and there are a few going for less than a tenner,im tempted to just get one and have a bash for old times sake lol.cant beat manic miner,jet set willy.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
"Mine" was a BBC Micro that my dad had on loan from work, because we're poor-ish. I vaguely remember some very strange games, including this one. I didn't get my own personal computer until I was 13 or so.

THe BBC was by far and away the greatest computer every made. I still remember the blisters on my palm from joystick waggling techniques used to win Daley Thompsons Olympics and Brian Jacks Superstar.
I used to laugh at people with their rubber keyed computers :)
Where were the groundbreaking games like Elite or Revs on the speccy, huh?

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
THe BBC was by far and away the greatest computer every made. I still remember the blisters on my palm from joystick waggling techniques used to win Daley Thompsons Olympics and Brian Jacks Superstar.
I used to laugh at people with their rubber keyed computers :)
Where were the groundbreaking games like Elite or Revs on the speccy, huh?

them blisters on ya hand m8 weren't caused by the joystick lol.bloody bbc all you had was elite ffs.(starts the old bbc v speccy war)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
them blisters on ya hand m8 weren't caused by the joystick lol.bloody bbc all you had was elite ffs.(starts the old bbc v speccy war)
And Revs, the first ever proper driving simulation. And 4 channel sound, don't forget the 4 channel sound. Way before Amigas were used in recording studios you had bbc's being used... And lets not forget emulation, i can't recall speccys having stuff like Kermit on them. BBC's were computers for real geeks, speccys were just toys :)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Spectrum owners WERE AND ARE better than you still! muywhahahaha!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I had Elite on my Spectrum.

*shrugs*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom