News 21 yr old Brit could get UAE Death Penalty for selling drugs

Should he get the Death Penalty

• Total voters

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
But it is your business to give us your opinion on whether it's right or not for a young man to have his life ended for selling a bit of hash.

Regardless of country, is it right or wrong?

If I knew that dealing kittens in Iraq was punishable by death, then knowingly chose to go to Iraq to sell fluffy kittens, then it's on my head no?

I don't think "FUCK SAKE, IT'S ONLY HASH" is going to stand up in his defence.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It's none of our business except for the fact that Saudi Arabia is our second largest middle eastern trading partner.

Its a backward country run by a bunch of privileged despots who won't even let women drive cars. They're fucking idiots.

If I found out my local shop advocated racist policies, I wouldn't shop there. So you'll have to excuse me if I'd rather the UK didn't deal with people who think that the death penalty is a just solution for drug dealing. Oh and the same cheeky fuckers who enable this system also come to this country and drive their supercars around London as though it's their own personal fiefdom. They can get to fuck.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If I knew that dealing kittens in Iraq was punishable by death, then knowingly chose to go to Iraq to sell fluffy kittens, then it's on my head no?

I don't think "FUCK SAKE, IT'S ONLY HASH" is going to stand up in his defence.

I don't disagree with your point there G. I actually agree with you.

However, it doesn't look like you can see mine: Regardless of country, or law, should people be killed for dealing hash?

Personally, I'd say no. Should people be killed if they fiddlie with kids then kill them? Possibly yes. But hash?

We all know that law is arbitrary. It's why it's "an ass". The question asked in this thread isn't asking you to say whether you think he's guilty of breaking the law (obviously - yes) - the question is asking should people be killed for selling weed.

Edit: Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with Tom, he's also off-topic ;)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Its a bit harsh for £260 worth of weed. Is it right? No. Does it suck? Yes, but they have their own laws whether you like them or not you are subject to them once you're in their territory.

Maybe the guy had no idea Arabic countries were so strict. Maybe he knew full well, and decided to take the risk. Either way, he's an idiot.

old.user4556

However, it doesn't look like you can see mine: Regardless of country, or law, should people be killed for dealing hash?

I think it's more of a deeper question than that. It may "only be hash", but it's been grown and smuggled from somewhere and it does indeed support a larger supply chain of crime where a lot more serious shit has gone down rather than the "just a peddler on the street" scenario that I feel it being painted here.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think it's more of a deeper question than that. It may "only be hash", but it's been grown and smuggled from somewhere and it does indeed support a larger supply chain of crime where a lot more serious shit has gone down rather than the "just a peddler on the street" scenario that I feel it being painted here.

Seeing as it's totally harmless then they may as well just legalise it then and stop being such utter dicks about it. Criminals wouldn't be able to profit from politicians poor judgement...well not this particular waste of police time anyway.

soze

I am a FH squatter
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and...e-east-north-africa/saudi-arabia/#lawsCustoms

"The punishment for importing drugs includes the death penalty"

There is no reason to go there not knowing the facts.

And what we think of death penalty done not matter a jot. We have been raised knowing that it is wrong and have grown to hate it. Out there people have grown up with it and accept it. The only way to change it would be to tear down their legal system and rebuild it and what gives us the right to tell them to do that in their country. No one forced the guy to go there after 20 seconds on the governments own webpage it was clear what the laws where about drugs out there so he had two choice, go and risk it or leave the drugs at home. I don't see what gives us the right to judge an entire nation because this guy thinks he is above the law?

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think it's more of a deeper question than that.

Not really. It's a simple question.

For all we know he could have grown it in his back garden. Or plucked it from the side of the road. Or maybe this 21 year old kid is a master criminal and therefore responsible for his superiors up some mythical supply chain.

Whatever the circumstances (which are entirely irrelevant), does the action of selling weed warrant a death sentence?

You're trying to rope in the law, social engineering etc. into a question that isn't asking a single thing about that.

There is no reason to go there not knowing the facts.

Don't disagree with that. The lad is an idiot.

Being an idiot is not a good reason to kill someone and does not make a horiffic and unjust law right.

It's teh law, yes, but it's a fucking joke law. It's a joke legal system. It's a joke of a country.

old.user4556

Selling weed should not be punishable by the death penalty.

I've just read that link, homosexual acts are punishable by death too. I could see the headlines now, "ELTON JOHN IN DOUBLE DEATH SENTENCE SPLIFF SMOKING SHOCKER".

soze

I am a FH squatter
It's teh law, yes, but it's a fucking joke law. It's a joke legal system. It's a joke of a country.
Which is why I will never go there. But if I did go there I would not expect to be held accountable to British legal standards. You can go to prison for having sex with your girlfriend. If you are not married it is illegal to share a hotel room. The laws to us are mental but it is still the law and until we become the world police and have a branch of the Met out there you can not expect any different.

Another example, you get your wallet stolen and welcome to jail. No you can't call your lawyer your consulate may be able to see you for 10 minutes next Wednesday.

"The Saudi legal system differs in many ways from the UK. Suspects can be held without charge and those detained have in the past not been allowed legal representation. The Saudi authorities have detained witnesses and victims of crimes. If you require consular assistance our staff will seek to visit you as soon as they are aware of the case. However, in some instances they have not been permitted to do so immediately or have had limits applied to access once granted. We have raised our concern about reports of mistreatment of some suspects during their detention. "

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The laws to us are mental but it is still the law

Finally! ;)

So do you agree? You shouldn't be killed for selling a little bit of weed? Idiot "mental" laws don't justify ending someone's life?

Of course, they'll happily kill him. Probably behead him (I don't know - that's conjecture - it may be death by stoning, gassing, electrocution or lethal injection) - but you admit that doesn't make it right?

I.E. Do you admit there's a difference between lawful and right?

:)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Finally! ;)

So do you agree? You shouldn't be killed for selling a little bit of weed? Idiot "mental" laws don't justify ending someone's life?

Of course, they'll happily kill him. Probably behead him (I don't know - that's conjecture - it may be death by stoning, gassing, electrocution or lethal injection) - but you admit that doesn't make it right?

I.E. Do you admit there's a difference between lawful and right?

:)
Yes for me here with the British legal system I agree the laws are mental and unjust. I just have a problem with thinking we have the right to enforce our views on other people.

old.user4556

I'm not sure what you're trying to point out Scouse?

I think we all know its bonkers, but that's their bonkers laws. You'd be bonkers to go there in the first place.

Edit: however in the face of a) bonkers law b) being bonkers to go there c) being bonkers to go there AND sell drugs?! Darwin.

rynnor

Rockhound
Its illegal here, illegal there all we are quibbling over is the maximum sentence.

He wont get the maximum sentence but I'm not opposed to it if the circumstances warrant it.

Drugs are ripping mexico apart at the moment - its not a victimless crime.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
why are people suprised by this though ? its the same in singapore and places

if you want to traffic drugs do some research and avoid the "go straight to gibbet, do not pass go" places

not hard

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Its illegal here, illegal there all we are quibbling over is the maximum sentence.

He wont get the maximum sentence but I'm not opposed to it if the circumstances warrant it.

Drugs are ripping mexico apart at the moment - its not a victimless crime.

It can be. American (Mexican) weed is very substandard, I have no idea why they bother with it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Scouse, I don't think anyone is saying that it's a good law or a proportionate reaction to the crime (it's clearly not either) but that doesn't change the fact that it's the law. He broke it. That's about the long and the short of it in this context.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Should he get the death penalty, no. Harsh sentence for the crime really. However, he knowingly took drugs into acountry with a pretty serious view on drug selling and now has to accept the consequences of HIS OWN ACTIONS. The uk has no right to interfere inthe legal process of another country regardless of how bonkers we think their laws are.

Dont like how they do things, don't bloody go there, and if yu have to go there for some reason, read up beforehand and dont do anything stupid.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Why does he have to offer an opinion?

Because its a poll? With a very specific question that quite a few people seem to be having a great deal of trouble getting their had around? If it was an exam you'd all be getting an "F".

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
These are DISCUSSION boards, not exams. For fucks sake how dare anyone ever offer any opinion that isn't a direct answer to the question, eh!

old.user4556

Because its a poll? With a very specific question that quite a few people seem to be having a great deal of trouble getting their had around? If it was an exam you'd all be getting an "F".

As I said above the issue at discussion does not fit the original black and white poll, hence why I have chosen not to answer it.

Taking emotion and rationale out of it, he should get it because it's the law in that country. In this thread, we're discussing the issue further.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Why can't he just be deported and go to prison? Death penalty for a tiny bit of weed, lol.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Why can't he just be deported and go to prison? Death penalty for a tiny bit of weed, lol.

For westerners the sentence is usually commuted to a long prison term followed by deportation with a life ban. I seriously doubt they will kill the idiot. If it was an Indian or Pakistani national it would be the death penalty. If it was a local he would get a slap on wrist and a fine. This place is fucked up when it comes to enforcing it's so called law!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom