S

Sar

I bought this today to read this week as I'm off work until the 16th (hurrah for Hols).

This is a book I've never read yet always meant to - has anyone else read it recently?

Thoughts, opinions etc...?

:)

E

ECA

Yeah its a good book :-]

Definately worth a read.

M

mank!

Good, although the bit about The Theory of Oligarchical Collectivism (or whatever) is extraodinarily dull.

W

Will

I really liked that book. In fact, I liked it so much, for Higher English I did an essay comparing it to Brave New World.

Enjoy.:)

I refuse to give spoilers just before you read the book though.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Will.
I really liked that book. In fact, I liked it so much, for Higher English I did an essay comparing it to Brave New World.

Along with every other kid who had to read 1984 at school?

X

xane

1984 is a masterpiece, it has a "book within a book" and invents a whole new language, on a par with Clockwork Orange.

Don't forget the other Orwell classic Animal Farm.

W

whipped

Doesn't that invlove naked people and gerbils?

X

xane

Yeah, as the gerbils said "four legs = good, two legs and a cardboard tube up the bum = bad"

S

Sar

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass
Along with every other kid who had to read 1984 at school?

I had: To kill a mocking bird.

:(

G

Gumbo

We had a term where we had to choose a book from a list, I did Billy Liar, a mate of mine did Northanger Abbey because he thought it would be a ghost story. How we laughed.......

W

Will

It wasn't a list book...I did it myself. Our list book was...so bad I've blanked it out, but it was some Scottish period drama nonsense.

U

-Ultimate

We did 'An Inspector calls' and 'Kes' oh how we laughed :(

M

mank!

I did An Inspector Calls as well. How strange, you're six years older than me yet we did the same curriculum.

U

-Ultimate

Did you get to watch the quality black and white movie too mank?

X

xane

I did Wuthering Heights, To Kill A Mockingbird and My Family And Other Animals, plus MacBeth.

M

mank!

Fuck knows. I spent half of year 10 and 11 'sick'

E

echo

Reviving an old thread and all, but how did you like 1984 Sar?

And I'd like to say that An Inspector Calls is good, I went to see a production of it at the Theater Royal in Nottingham a few months ago (off my own back, not for school or anything) and it was really, really good..!

Incidentally I read An Inspector Calls, MacBeth (alright) and Of Mice And Men (good) at GCSE, and Othello at A Level.

M

mank

I did An Inspector Calls at GCSE, wasn't bad but studying books in the manner we did more or less ruins any chance you have of enjoying it :/

E

echo

Ahh, we just read through them, acted bits out etc.. The A Level books were the best to study because my set consisted entirely of stoners and dropouts, so everyone was off their tits and trying to act scenes from MacBeth

S

Sar

Never really got very far into it - started Altered Carbon shortly after posting this and I'm currently reading Chasm City atm.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom