18 months out of date

bomaya

Fledgling Freddie
So I log back in to try out Catacombs (and DR) and find so much has changed. I can see loads of useful threads in here but there's almost too much info. I wonder if I need to sit and read every thread in here, read all the patch notes since I last played (about 1.62) or buy the Prima guides. Advice please people, I'm feeling over-whelmed! :)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
bomaya said:
So I log back in to try out Catacombs (and DR) and find so much has changed. I can see loads of useful threads in here but there's almost too much info. I wonder if I need to sit and read every thread in here, read all the patch notes since I last played (about 1.62) or buy the Prima guides. Advice please people, I'm feeling over-whelmed! :)

My advice would be simply to not try to understand all of it at once.

There is a lot of new content, so enjoy taking the time to explore it.

The basics of what has changed can be found with F1 (Help), the help information isn't bad on the basics.

The good bit about the new content is that all the quest text is good, I don't remember looking at a website for Catacombs/DR/New epic quests, as the quest text is so clear.

Other than new areas/quests, I guess the new stuff is :

Auralite - can be used to buy stuff from merchants in the underground city of your realm. Drops in dungeon instanced wings in dungeons - these tend to be doors that you open, see a 'portal' effect, and walk into, zoning into a dungeon that is for your group only, and in which monsters don't repop when killed.

Task dungeons - Five taskmasters (see the F1 Help for locations and levels) in each realm will send you to do a dungeon. Again, your group only, and monsters don't repop.

PvE bonuses - Some Catacombs items have bonuses that only work in PvE. Most people don't worry too much about them, but if you do much PvE with a character, they can make a huge difference. (Well, some bonuses, anyway, +block/parry/evade% for example)

New characters - Like any new characters, lots to learn. Heretic, Bainshee, Vampiir, Valkyrie and Warlock

Artifacts - Now only need credit and the scrolls, not the artifact (the artifact can be traded for a full book of scrolls).

Character Abilities - Quite a few characters have had major changes recently. If you find stuff that you don't recognise on your abilities, delve it (Shift-I default), and you'll find decent information there that should explain it.

Champion Levels - Small abilities are gained with each level, along with some hit points and power. Talk to the king to start them (with DR client), and then anything you do in quests, PvE or RvR will give you champion xp til you hit Champ Level 5. The fastest way is to do the three champion quests, which will get you to Champ Level 3 or thereabouts. The quests or getting to Champ Level 5 get you a Champion Weapon specific for your class.

Horses - You can get horses now !

Clustering - Excalibur and Prydwen now share Camelot and the Frontier. Every other location exists on both. You can move between the two by talking to Channelers at the capital and housing zones.

Generally if you have a new character, you'll get a popup window when you get to the level that you can start Champ quests, or get a horse, or start ML's, or whatever.

(note - if you are the sort of player who just wants the hardest character possible in as short a time as possible, please ignore these suggestions and ask for a guide to what you 'need' to 'compete' in RvR)

If you're in Albion on the Cluster, feel free to do a /who House Soulsplitter. If you ask for me, I'll help answer questions if I'm on. If not, most of them will too. (I'm just the old man who's been around longest of them)

Darzil

bomaya

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks both especially Darzil - you are one very helpful chap, thanks a lot! :)

Bladze

Fledgling Freddie
You might find some of your toons have had a forced /respec aswell. Better to find out now then realise just after you have pulled that diamond mob.....wtf only 12 slash

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
bomaya said:

as a rule, never buy a prima guide for an MMO, its out of date by the time they print it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom