120gb HardDrive

Discussion in 'Techie Discussion' started by Gray, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Gray

Gray FH is my second home

Soo, i bought me a 120gb Hard Drive. All well and true but unfortunatly im unable to figure how to format it... Because i was told fdisk dont recognise it over 64gb or something...

I was told to install Disk Manager, in Windows and run it, but once i got it installed it hit me with errors and closed the program... So i couldnt use that.

Then i was told to install MaxBlast3, at first the name worried me a bit, but it was a Maxtor program so i of course tried it... Again, in Windows after i installed it it had crashed...

That got me wondering whats going on :/

The error points to the directory "C:\DOCUME~1\Al\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER14.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt" but i cant access the WER14<etc> part to delete anything, any clues?

Is there any other ways to get this sorted?

Its a Maxtor 120gb 6Y120L0. Running on WinXP

2. xane

xane Fledgling Freddie

Why use FDISK ?

Windows XP has it all under Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management

3. PR.

PR. Fledgling Freddie

Why you going to all that effort?

1. Start
    2. Control Panel
    3. Administrative Tools
    5. Computer Management
    6. Disk Management
    7. Create a Partition on the drive and give it a drive letter
    8. Format the drive
    9. Done

4. Gray

I tried that after i sent the thread out, but i get an error message there too saying, "LOGICAL DISK MANAGER: The dependency service failed to start".

Perhaps thats why DM wont work?

5. SawTooTH

SawTooTH Can't get enough of FH

I had a problem with my 120 SATA drive. Firstly XP would even recognise that it was connected. I just went online and dowloaded the formatting tool from the manufacturers and bobs your uncle it could be formatted and recognised.. Thats your first port of call

6. Doomy

Doomy Fledgling Freddie

7. Gray

lol nah, this is a brand new Hard Drive for my PC, nothin to do with the XBox one :p

/editted coz i made a smally mistake ;)

8. RandomBastard

RandomBastard Can't get enough of FH

i think you mean

his is a brand new HD for my PC, im still usin my other 120gb in my XBOX

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Part of the furniture

Have you tried removing the maxblast software? Sounds like you've messed someit up when you installed that.

10. Gray

nah dont think its that... this is what i did

1) Installed first Disk Manager, i get this error reported by Microsoft as soon as i run the program from the Start folder. As soon as i do i unistalled it.

2) Then i tried MaxBlast 3, run the program the same as Disk Manager, but again i get the same error stated above. I unistall it.

3) Then i try the Disk Management Tool in Admin Tools, but i get this error as soon as i click on the Disk Management icon.

:(

11. Miles_Binck

Miles_Binck Fledgling Freddie

open up Administrative tools and choose Services, scroll down to Logical Disk Manager and Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service and make sure they are both set to either Manual or Automatic if they are double click on each of them and click Start.

also make sure the dependancies are started (otherwise they will never run)

Logical Disk Manager needs

Plug and Play
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

and

Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service needs

Logical Disk Manager
    Plug and Play
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

also check the event viewer (in administrative tools) for any errors relating to services

12. Gray

You git you :p... I just went to a website and relised that Logical Disk Manager is a Service... and i disabled it months ago when i first installed XP...

But its all working now :D, well im in the formatting stage but still its looking good :D...

Cheers y'all.