Help 120€ for a laptop hardisk + OS instalation?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yes. How are they going to install it on your laptop without having your laptop there?

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
I left it in the comp store for a diagnosis. The manager just called me and told me it will be 120e for the reparation.

I think im gonna buy the hdd and install it myself at home. Cant be much harder than building a desktop, and I built quite a share of those.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Depends on hard drive size really but I would imagine that they are charging you 30 euros for the OS install which is fair when you consider the wages and overheads involved, they are a business after all.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Hard Disk costs xxx and then an hour of Work Shop time at xxx and it is probably a fair price.

As for doing it yourself then if it is a well known brand then finding drivers should not be an issue. So if you have an OEM install disk then doing it yourself would be an option.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Hhhmm about the laptop brand and the correct harddrive, I thought ANY harddrive (i just looked on a Seagate Momentus 5400rpm 500GB for 60€) would work...

My laptop is a PackardBell, Do I need a PackardBell hardrive?!

soze

I am a FH squatter
Hhhmm about the laptop brand and the correct harddrive, I thought ANY harddrive (i just looked on a Seagate Momentus 5400rpm 500GB for 60€) would work...

My laptop is a PackardBell, Do I need a PackardBell hardrive?!
9 times out of 10 it will be fine. But my Lenovo will not work properly with my WD Scorpio Black. It just spins the fans at 100% the whole time it is on. So the only way to get 100% compatibility is to replace with a supported part.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Packard Bell are pretty much always a standard drive. If they are charging you 60 euros for a basic OS install then it is a bit steep.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Packard Bell are pretty much always a standard drive. If they are charging you 60 euros for a basic OS install then it is a bit steep.

Thx Cho!

I decided to do it myself. After all, I have quite my share of desktop comps built with my own hands.

Removing the hdd case of the laptop was piss easy, and installed a Seagate 500gb 5400rpm hdd for 60€.

I just need now an OEM copy of W7 to use with the PackardBell windows licence that came with the laptop. Hope I dont find any compability issues, would hate to throw 60€ down the bin ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
You will probably run into a few driver issues, goto the Packard Bell website, put the model number in and download the drivers onto a memory stick.

Never throw 60 euros down the bin, that could feed a large Greek family for a month! :D :p ;)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
You will probably run into a few driver issues, goto the Packard Bell website, put the model number in and download the drivers onto a memory stick.

Never throw 60 euros down the bin, that could feed a large Greek family for a month! :D :p ;)

Thats 1 month of weed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom