1.69 Dyes/Enamels

Sansau

Fledgling Freddie
hmmm arnt the mummy textur in ML5 white??

Mummy

Take a close look at the feets and u can see that the shadowing and bumpmaping is kind a ok.

So yes, white should not be a problem. :D

Sansau

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm well then they have to use some kind of color spectrum. Maybe RBG and pick out some colors from that spectrum. So if they use it they probably can pick white.

The reason they probably dont use white is that it makes a to big contrast to the shadows and the texture it self, same thing with totaly black, if u take a close look at a black armor u can see that its not totaly black only very dark grey.

Pippic

Fledgling Freddie
some of the ppl here really canot grasp the diffrence in dyes and textures

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Theyre not for sale on NPCs: craftable by alchemists only. Doubt many have bothered filling CMs with them yet.

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
All of the items in DAoC are textured with their own colours (silvery plate, brown leather, green cloth and so on). Now when you dye an item you basically switch a light on that tints the texture a different colour. Dye it red and you turn a red light on, dye it lime green and you turn a lime green light on. The reason why you can't dye something white is because when you turn a white light onto something the natural colour comes through. So instead of going white the item simply displays its natural colour.

In fact when you remove the dye from an item it just reverts back to being lit with a white light (so the natural colour shows through). Hence if you have something that is textured white to begin with (like white bandages in the screenshot above) and you remove the dye on it (taking the item back to a white light) you get a white item. This is the only way to do it.

If you can't understand it that way then please suggest the colour of light I should shine on my brown hair to make it look white :) When you can't answer that you should realise why it isn't possible to dye items white apart from removing the dye from an item which is already textured white.

Greatred

Fledgling Freddie
Cloak/shield emblems can be fairly white too. Certainly whiter than the plain "gray" of a plain cloak.

cougar

Fledgling Freddie
<offtopic>

what sword is this?

mummy2.jpg

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Greatred said:
Cloak/shield emblems can be fairly white too. Certainly whiter than the plain "gray" of a plain cloak.

Gahhh read the posts, thats because emblems are texture maps applied to cloaks and shields, nothing to do with lights.

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
Revz said:
All of the items in DAoC are textured with their own colours (silvery plate, brown leather, green cloth and so on). Now when you dye an item you basically switch a light on that tints the texture a different colour. Dye it red and you turn a red light on, dye it lime green and you turn a lime green light on. The reason why you can't dye something white is because when you turn a white light onto something the natural colour comes through. So instead of going white the item simply displays its natural colour.

In fact when you remove the dye from an item it just reverts back to being lit with a white light (so the natural colour shows through). Hence if you have something that is textured white to begin with (like white bandages in the screenshot above) and you remove the dye on it (taking the item back to a white light) you get a white item. This is the only way to do it.

If you can't understand it that way then please suggest the colour of light I should shine on my brown hair to make it look white :) When you can't answer that you should realise why it isn't possible to dye items white apart from removing the dye from an item which is already textured white.

Couldnt they just make all items have a base white texture , atleast items we can dye ???

Faith

Fledgling Freddie
interesting dyes for sure

white would be a nice add. as they have white cloaks and know the white cloth armour from ToA drops (sure u all seen it)

bright gleaming white wouldnt work as the contrasts are off.
i agree with that reasoning about the lighting etc.

but some kind of lighter grey would do. its hard to have a char that doesnt end up 2 tone. or block colours like a kid with crayons

so far after 1 night i have seen sooo many Lime green Troll chars. not many in the rose dye yet. but hey lets ask for torches and horns next patch. just to make absolute sure the enemy spot us that extra mile away

oi hibs :clap: :kissit: :clap: over 'ere mates

Battusai

Fledgling Freddie
well if you want me to be a pain in the ass i wil :m00:

if you shine all the colors of a spectrum on one and the same spot it wil be colourless and therefor white light.
so shine all colors minus brown on your hair and yay you have white hair ^^.
on the same line of thinking ,there are black dyes ,you ever seen a black flash light ?

and by my best of knowlage is the base color for cloth grey not green

Yossarian

Fledgling Freddie
White Dyes Are Possible

White Dyes are possile

Anyone thats seen me out in RvR can see the silksteel sleeves of silent oblivion (ML6 mob drop ) Are clearly WHITE with a rather funky leather shoulder pad effect /em pose.

Either that or im suffering from colour blindness.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
That's because the texture of those sleeves are white...

The standard texture of other armor isn't white, so you can't make it white by the means of lighting it with a certain color. Red plate is just the normal plate but the game does a red light on it.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Battusai said:
No, you have black hair.
A brown object reflects brown light. If you shine a light with no brown in it at it reflects nothing and looks black. White objects reflect all colours so they look the colour of the light being shone at them. Conversely black objects reflect no light so they look black in any light.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yossarian said:
White Dyes are possile

Anyone thats seen me out in RvR can see the silksteel sleeves of silent oblivion (ML6 mob drop ) Are clearly WHITE with a rather funky leather shoulder pad effect /em pose.

Either that or im suffering from colour blindness.

because they are TEXTURED white! they are not dyed white :)

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
It seems no matter how many times you explain this people still come up with their own theories that make no sense :(

Battusai said:

Please take a photograph of this in action.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
White dyes really are possible :D

Ok so atm they just use one simple light to tint the base textures, but its 2004, the technology does exist to apply more complex lighting stages and filters. I hope one day they will add them.

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
This might come in Catacombs =)

And that does not mean white dye as it's not possible. Period.

Thanatlos

Fledgling Freddie
White dye requires a redesign of every texture to use a base of white instead of light gray (which was chosen because you have more room to operate detail wise, you can make parts on armour a little bit more bright and a bit darker (highlights shadows), with white you would lose the highlights).
Anyway, it would never happen anyway because basically Dye Removers are the white dye of this game, they show the textures as they are.
Anyway, the problem lies with the base colour chosen for textures (cloaks have very close to white base colours due to them having very few details/bump/highlights) to best suit their way of colouring the armours.

Ancient Seagul

Fledgling Freddie
Is it possible to have armour / cloth that changes its hue depending on the light / where your viewing it ?

Jeeves

Banned
Danya said:
No, you have black hair.
A brown object reflects *brown light*. If you shine a light with no brown in it at it reflects nothing and looks black. White objects reflect all colours so they look the colour of the light being shone at them. Conversely black objects reflect no light so they look black in any light.
*Red light + green light !*

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Sarnat said:
This might come in Catacombs =)

And that does not mean white dye as it's not possible. Period.

Not possible you say? Its quite possible to make white dye in a computer game, just the engine in its current state is limited by its current lighting model.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Thanatlos said:
White dye requires a redesign of every texture to use a base of white instead of light gray (which was chosen because you have more room to operate detail wise, you can make parts on armour a little bit more bright and a bit darker (highlights shadows), with white you would lose the highlights).
Anyway, it would never happen anyway because basically Dye Removers are the white dye of this game, they show the textures as they are.
Anyway, the problem lies with the base colour chosen for textures (cloaks have very close to white base colours due to them having very few details/bump/highlights) to best suit their way of colouring the armours.

PCs are quite capable of making a grey cloak texture look white, thats the only problem to overcome and it doesnt even need to be solved in real time.
Though tbh I think it can be done to a 32 bit texture without appreciable loss on the fly if somone bothered to use bits of directx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom