¿Thane or Skald?

puigeto

Fledgling Freddie
I know that both are very different classes, but im thinking on doing one of those 2, pls could u tell me the "good and bad" of both classes? I've heard that thane is like a bodyguard and i dont like that, but checking the abilities ive seen that they have nice DD's and other things, do thane's hit hard with their 1h weapons? Wich one is better for solo?

Pls Help me :)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Thane pros:
Sheild spec (slam)
Great DDs both single insta, AE insta, single recastable and AErecast.
Chain wearing.
Decent Self buff (Str/con and DPS add)

Cons
Rogue hit point table
Everyone thinks a thane will break mezz (even after 3 years fss)
No group uselful utility
Hard to template and cap all str, dex, qui, con, hp, pie, resists and skills

Skald pros
TAXI! - fastest in the realm
Damage add and heal chant
Chain wearing

cons
Rogue hit point table
DDs and mezzes are very poor
Hard to template and cap all str, dex, qui, con, hp, charisma, resists and skills
no sheild spec and small sheilds only.

Both have pros and cons as u can see, its purely choice on your part and what play style you fancy.

JackHeart

Fledgling Freddie
Imho Thanes is far better to solo with, since you can shield spec you become a good tank that can take a lot of punishment. With the magic makes you able to pull from long distances and get some extra damage in combat.

Skalds on the other hand are lovely in a group, since they most often use two handed weapons, and their damage add is really sweet. Not to mention the skald speed while travelling from one spot to another. BUt sinced Skalds they far less punishment, you will have to rely on steady heals from a BB or alot of downtime if you are solo.
Skalds healsong is a joke..

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH
old.Whoodoo said:
Cons
Rogue hit point table
Everyone thinks a thane will break mezz (even after 3 years fss)
No group uselful utility
Hard to template and cap all str, dex, qui, con, hp, pie, resists and skills

Static tempest :)

Mazzaca

Fledgling Freddie
I asked myself that question too and went for skald, and I don't really regret it. I miss the shieldslam and ST sometimes, but I wouldn't want to change anyway.
Skald is a good duo/solo class due to the ML line plus their ability to interupt casters (snare, dd, mezz etc).
ML10 Soju skald with SoS/purge can solo well I believe.

Olvoair

Fledgling Freddie
if soloing i would say skald

speed makes that you can choose to fight or not to some extent
no speed gives greater grass eating skillz

neither is really a group toon as the game is at the moment. most groups doesnt run with skalds, and thanes compete versus tanks with higher dps or higher defence.

Grayedd

Fledgling Freddie
Well I have a 50 skald and a 48 Thane - imo thane is far more fun - thane can defeat oranges that are yellow to my skald that the skald struggles with - used correctly in RvR Thanes are very effective and I have pretty much retired my skald although skalds are always welcome in groups so he does get a run out occasionally.

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
Group perspective:

Thane - usefull for group, guarder/bodyguarder, static tempest RA.

Skald - more or less a speed-taxi in group, only offers zephyr, some interrupt, and speed, however probably not worth it if you want optimal group.

Solo perspective:

Thane - no speed, shield specc (totally gimp against assasins that dual wield - nice vs vampiirs tho). (you will be ganked alot unless you stand in towers and aoe nuke etc.)

Skald - has speed, has zephyr, has v nice solo utility, id say its the best solo class midgar has by far atm, if you dont count keep-camping solo that is.

so skald overall better, but depends what you want to do, if you dont fancy soloing at all...

oh and dont even bother to solo w/o an buffbot, you will just be pissed off by everyone else haveing one =P

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
thane and skald both work well in group, 2zerk thane skald is powerful setup.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
rvn said:
Group perspective:

Thane - usefull for group, guarder/bodyguarder, static tempest RA.

Skald - more or less a speed-taxi in group, only offers zephyr, some interrupt, and speed, however probably not worth it if you want optimal group.

Solo perspective:

Thane - no speed, shield specc (totally gimp against assasins that dual wield - nice vs vampiirs tho). (you will be ganked alot unless you stand in towers and aoe nuke etc.)

Skald - has speed, has zephyr, has v nice solo utility, id say its the best solo class midgar has by far atm, if you dont count keep-camping solo that is.

so skald overall better, but depends what you want to do, if you dont fancy soloing at all...

oh and dont even bother to solo w/o an buffbot, you will just be pissed off by everyone else haveing one =P
All told from an RvR perspective, not everyone is that way enclined.

How you can say Skalds are one of the best toons is a little beyond me, other than being a taxi they offer little. RMs, BDs and Warlocks beat them in ranged combat, Warriors, zerks and even Thanes will give them a good run for their money in Mellee, and in PvE they dont really do much at all. The only major benefit is the songs they have, which are not all that as well.

Compared to their counterparts, Bards and Minstels, they have shite utility.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
skald is easily the best choice if you want to solo, thane is easily the best choice if you want to group :)

Sourcream

Fledgling Freddie
Make a Skald , It OwnZ yes , with a capitol Z :eek:P don't believe what other ppl say about skalds being gimped with the right template you'll do this with the treehuggers (hibs) :twak: and you'll make albs go like this :eek7:
GO FOR IT and thanes , don't break my mezz FFS....haha

Sourcream <Black Company> Level 50 Skald rr6L4

Maff

Fledgling Freddie
Skalds healsong is a joke..
out of the minstrels and bards the skalds heal song the best and handy when in DT if u dont have a BB.
i enjoy playing my skald yes most the time i'm in group but done some solo and i can take Oj's but its safer with Yellows.
also speed cant beat it.
than willhave better def due to the shield also gets 2x skill point to spec where skalds have 1.5x.
but end of day depend's what your end goal is. imo i say for RvR skald would be better but that just my oppion :cheers: :drink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom