Impressed £67.5 billion... nope... 263 billion, and rising.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sigh.

You didn't think when you signed up to a "green" energy tarrif you were doing anything other than voluntarily paying more for your energy whilst signalling you like "green" stuff did you?

If the government decoupled renewables billing from billing for other forms of energy generation then you'd pay fuckloads less. But they didn't. <<< Why are you struggling to comprehend this?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Edit, I will agree, Renewables are cheaper...for the energy companies, which yet again, brings me back to

No they aren't, that is an actual lie. I am sure you are aware that renewables costs are tied in with gas (literally the entire point of the last page, at least)

But at what point do any savings get passed on to Joe Average, trying his best with what he has? Never, that's when. So, again, please to be explaining why Joe Average gives a fuck, vs making sure his kids don't starve?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sigh.

You didn't think when you signed up to a "green" energy tarrif you were doing anything other than voluntarily paying more for your energy whilst signalling you like "green" stuff did you?

If the government decoupled renewables billing from billing for other forms of energy generation then you'd pay fuckloads less. But they didn't. <<< Why are you struggling to comprehend this?

Erm, I have spent at least 20k in the last few years, insulating my house. So literally, go fuck yourself. You keep bleating on about this that the other, but do fuck all yourself. You're a talker (and a Tory, it appears, deep down, fuck the poor and their priorities) not a dooer.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If you're calling Bullshit @Scouse I will quite happily produce invoices.

Vs your incessant "All you should do this while I do nothing" nonsense.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Edit, edit, edit.

I am well within my means to have had this work carried out, most people can't afford to, most people worry about running the oven and the boiler, most people have a foot in reality.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Quick question - if you sign up for a "renewable energy" tariff whilst connected to the grid, precisely what mechanism is going to allow you to get renewable energy only?

No matter how the electrons are generated, they all end up in the same cables going to the same places.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Quick question - if you sign up for a "renewable energy" tariff whilst connected to the grid, precisely what mechanism is going to allow you to get renewable energy only?

No matter how the electrons are generated, they all end up in the same cables going to the same places.

My supplier buys all its energy units from renewables producers. You know, the people you pay your bill to don't actually produce your power, right?

Wij

I am a FH squatter

It’s an accounting exercise.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think my ultimate plan is to get a new roof next year when my mortgage is paid off, and once that roof is on, put solar panels up. It's south-facing and gets a great view of the sun. And I'd like to supplement the solar panels with a battery. And I'd also like to replace the boiler with an air source heat pump, but that may be the year after. There's only me living here and my energy use is below average, so I hope eventually to be paying next to nothing for energy.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I think my ultimate plan is to get a new roof next year when my mortgage is paid off, and once that roof is on, put solar panels up. It's south-facing and gets a great view of the sun. And I'd like to supplement the solar panels with a battery. And I'd also like to replace the boiler with an air source heat pump, but that may be the year after. There's only me living here and my energy use is below average, so I hope eventually to be paying next to nothing for energy.

Depending on the size of the battery there is a good chance you'll be able to do long stretches without grid power, our best month this year was July where the house sources of energy were Solar Panels 53%, Battery 45% and Grid 2%. I've said before my only plan at the moment is when our current tariff ends next year I'll move on to one with a cheaper night rate to top up an EV and then fill the battery with power for use in the autumn/winter during the day.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you've solar, a battery and insulation up the kazoo (which I know you've been doing) - then perhaps look at alternatives to ASHP? They can be noisy - and if you're producing and storing your own electricity and have very low heat leakage then maybe a large thermal store instead?

I find it rather galling that electricity companies have doubled their standing charges - which is a bit of a joke. 50p a day / £180 a year just to be connected to the infrastructure even if you use no electricity?

Embattle

FH is my second home
The standing charge does bug me, caught me out during the summer when I couldn't initially figure why I kept having 25p on the smart meter until my two brain cells rubbed together a bit faster.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If you've solar, a battery and insulation up the kazoo (which I know you've been doing) - then perhaps look at alternatives to ASHP? They can be noisy - and if you're producing and storing your own electricity and have very low heat leakage then maybe a large thermal store instead?

I find it rather galling that electricity companies have doubled their standing charges - which is a bit of a joke. 50p a day / £180 a year just to be connected to the infrastructure even if you use no electricity?

I'm waiting a little longer to see if the government will subsidise any insulation, I suspect they won't, but once I know I'll be massively insulating my loft in the next few weeks. I live in an urban area 100 metres from a pretty busy local road, so I'm not concerned about noise from the heat pump - which will be along the same lines as a big fridge. And the big fridge would be on the same side of the house as the busy road. I'll speak to my neighbours first though.

I don't know about thermal stores, but I do know I like some redundancy. I'd have to speak to an expert.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Roof insulation is cheaper than you think and depending on your loft, easy to do yourself.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Absolutely no way on earth I'm insulating the roof. Ever.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah. I did that at an old house. It's a fucking horrible job. Never again.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Effort = reward.

I was sat in less than 25c when the outside world was 40c, insulation works both ways.

Lots of people bang on about insulate this, insulate that, but do absolutely nothing because it's easier to wait for someone else to deal with a problem. Insulate your homes, it's cheaper than you think, especially if you are in a modern house. Mine was built in 1615 and is now probably more efficient than any new build.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nothing against insulation - it's just that I won't be doing the job myself again.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Presuming you're talking about insulating a pitched slate/tile roof, it's just a shit idea. People commonly use spray foam to do it, which does a great job of trapping heat. Unfortunately, it does a great job of hiding leaks. And a leaky roof with nowhere for the water to go other than being soaked up by the timbers, is a bad idea, because repeated wet/dry cycles is what destroys wood. And with an insulated roof, you won't see that damage.

The roof is there to keep water out. The ceiling is there to keep heat in. They have different jobs, don't mix them up.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You put 300mm of rockwool above the ceiling, leave the roof void cold.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's still the wrong thing short term. The windfall tax would have been correct, then a decoupling. This is a suggestion by the producers - which lock us in to really expensive electricity by ever-cheapening renewables.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No excuse not to, especially in a modern house.

Just got to insulate under the upstairs boards, but that's easy, and the kitchen floor, but that's quarry tiles, and I quite like them and don't want to rip it up to insulate under it, it's probably been there 150 years and would never go back right, plus rip out the kitchen units, and fuck that.

I might look at solar, but our house roof is South to North, and in a conservation area, so not sure if it will fly.

Embattle

FH is my second home
In most conservation areas I believe it still falls under permitted development.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Over the last few months we've been sending 5+ GW of energy via the interconnectors to France, Netherlands and Belgium which will make the winter period more problematic as we normally import via interconnectors.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Over the last few months we've been sending 5+ GW of energy via the interconnectors to France, Netherlands and Belgium which will make the winter period more problematic as we normally import via interconnectors.
Lets hope for a fuckload of rain eh? They'll need record amounts post this summer's droughts - without it France's nuclear power stations won't work.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

That's all good and well, but until they decouple renewables prices from gas prices, it is still a complete waste of time for a lot of people. I buy all mine from a company that sells renewable energy, there are cheaper suppliers, but I did it out of conscience, a lot of people will go for the cheapest they can find. The renewables lot should always be cheaper.
It should become ever more prohibitively expensive to buy fossil fuel on a sliding scale vs renewables energy getting cheaper, through taxation, ring-fenced to be ploughed back into renewables R&D, including fusion and subsidisation of renewables. The market will do the rest, if there is fuck all to be made digging stuff out of the ground, then they will have to move with the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom