The future of EU DAoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigurd

Banned
First of all I'd like to say congratulations to Mythic. They've finally destroyed our game. New Frontiers is a joke - and a bad one at that. At the moment, if I want to play DAoC at all my only choice is to PvE or play in the battlegrounds - the lag is too bad in full RvR and my Blademaster is just a meatshield now anyway. Convinced that you'll love New Frontiers anyway? Buy yourself the latest computer. Roll a stealther (archers in particular) caster or hybrid tank - don't even bother with a normal tank, they've been destroyed completely (I haven't seen a single warrior, and only one or two armsmen/heroes in all the battlegrounds I've played, and certainly none when I've managed to lag my way out of Druim Ligen to "full" RvR)

The lag and destruction of main and light tanks is bad enough by itself, but the rest? Here's one delightful development from New Frontiers! Certain terrain is impassable because "the ground is too steep" - you cannot progress any further upwards and sometimes you'll even get stuck. This "steep ground" can appear out of nowhere - little riverbanks as tall as a Lurikeen are now apparantly "too steep" for your character to climb. Passes and valleys between mountains are "too steep" leaving you to wonder why the fuck Mythic bothered creating them in the first place. You'll run halfway down a hill, turn around, seeing a bunch of Albs running along the bottom and find out you can't climb up the hill you just ran down. Well thanks for the added realism Mythic.
Other terrain features include marsh - which slows your movement, but leads you to wonder "why the hell does this only exist in the frontiers?" and pointless mazes around occasional towers. The new guards are funny - you can be fighting a stealther a foot away from them and they just stand there stupidly. Which leads to the question... why bother placing Mythic's much declared "new hookpoint guards" at all?
The frontiers have also undergone another strange transformation in this new expansion. These "new improved" frontiers are now a lot smaller BUT, and this is the clever part, still littered with places that no-one will EVER visit. Why is this, you ask? Because the fighting only takes place around and in keeps and their towers. That is all. DAoC is now DAoSieges - and the funniest thing, is that people only bother with the towers. It's actually easier to take the relics than capture a fully upgraded, defended keep now. You'd think - now the frontiers are smaller, solo'ers will have it easier... how very wrong you are. A solo'er has to now swim the entire ocean OR port to one of the beach keeps should they actually be taken (I've seen this once, on all the US servers) which basically confines you to your own frontier. Thanks Mythic! It's ok though, because the frontiers have a distinct... sameness to them. Hibernia is Albion only greener, Midgard is Albion only whiter, etc. Huge mountain ranges in little ol' Albion? Why not! Might as well put them in Hibernia too, alongside the typically Irish fjords...

Well, we've determined that New Frontiers is altogether pretty shite, but perhaps the RAs can save it? Perhaps not. For RAs you need RPs for starters - not really happening in New Frontiers - you see, here's the beautiful irony of Mythic's plan - "let's make New Frontiers more accessible to casual players! Let's make everyone capable of finding a battle within minutes!" Hang on a sec, everyone? That means... yep you guessed it. By the time you get there, another 150 of your realm mates have ported and kicked the crap out of the enemy. IF you're lucky you might get there early and earn your 1 RP. So, with your 1 RP, what will you buy? Well purge is essential. Capped purge as that's the only one worth getting, so there goes a third of your entire realm points (assuming you're RR10 already - if you're not, you have a long and fun-packed journey ahead of you!) thanks Mythic once again for making it nice and easy. Once you've spend 30 realm skill points on purge, what should you get next? Well if you're a hybrid you're lucky, you have a few hundred little delights to choose from. Stealthers are equally blessed, although just stuffing everying in Viper (doubly effective poison as far as I'm aware) seems to be the best idea for our little stealthy friends. Support classes MUST get perfect recovery (thanks again mythic) and tanks should just delete or sell their accounts to be honest. Once you have your remarkably similar to those around you realm abilities - you're ready to play!

Or not. Most likely you'll be lagged to death just trying to port to a keep.

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds good. Looking forward to it. Also sounds like there will be less wankers around ;)

Derric

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like there's gonna be a lot of wankers around.

lefo

Fledgling Freddie
future of eu daoc is this :

63507569.jpg

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
lol nice screen :) And I'm only got a few levels left on my hunters winged helm before she is ready!

I'm loving it!

Though I'm sad that my Warrior won't have that much fun.. or at least it looks like it. :(

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Well said. Well written.

So whats new ? Mythic mezzes with da game ? Well, they can basically do what they want, cuz we will keep playing it. Its not like theres anything out there even remotely like DAoC. And afaik not anything is in progress of being made atm. And dont mention WoW - its NOT DAoC-like - not even close from what ive read.

:flame:

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Who cares anyway. NF is a weak and desperate attempt to keep playerbase.

But then again I cant quit cause the fucktards at Goa HQ is putting autorenewal back on anyway and I get charged :p

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Chimaira said:
Who cares anyway. NF is a weak and desperate attempt to keep playerbase.

But then again I cant quit cause the fucktards at Goa HQ is putting autorenewal back on anyway and I get charged :p

just tell ur bank not to play em and block em taking the payments

Cyfr

Banned
Hmm I started reading and you wrote a lot about lag, I experience no lag on either of my computers..

Erm, you talk about beach keeps and none ever being taken, wtf? They get taken day in day out on MLF, what the heck are you on about..

It's actually easier to take the relics than capture a fully upgraded, defended keep now.

How did you figure that one out, you HAVE to take keeps to be able to get the relic...

Dommelsch

Fledgling Freddie
Cyfr said:
Hmm I started reading and you wrote a lot about lag, I experience no lag on either of my computers..

Erm, you talk about beach keeps and none ever being taken, wtf? They get taken day in day out on MLF, what the heck are you on about..

How did you figure that one out, you HAVE to take keeps to be able to get the relic...

ur so harsh m8!

givf c6 now plzlplz

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
on the same line as cyfr here

sig, you are talking absolute shite here m8 sorry but get a clue before u badmouth something.

the only thing in your post which is actually not bullshit is the part about how its anoying with the steep terrain - yeah that is anoying but you soon get used to it and learn to use it to your advantage - however yeah its gay when you try to get out of the water and theres like a 2 cm climb which is 2 steep.

However, on MLF enemy coastal keeps get taken every day - often hibs can port to mid no problemo (they got the relics so we attack them mostly) and soloers having a problem? not at all - go to a keep and get on the oil, insta rps. And archers? soloing is no issue at all, and assasins? no issue because of new vanish they can climb into a keep and kill 2-3 casters and then just vanish because vanish clears u of guard agro (if they even attack, because they now need to have LoS to u in order to shoot or cast on u etc).

And thing about relics? well duh u have to take keeps in order to open the relic milegate so ur argument is kinda retarded.

I'm loving NF - the battles are great and if you like to make a gank grp u can still do so and kill mini-zergs with ease.

lefo

Fledgling Freddie
Moo said:
on the same line as cyfr here

sig, you are talking absolute shite here m8 sorry but get a clue before u badmouth something.

the only thing in your post which is actually not bullshit is the part about how its anoying with the steep terrain - yeah that is anoying but you soon get used to it and learn to use it to your advantage - however yeah its gay when you try to get out of the water and theres like a 2 cm climb which is 2 steep.

However, on MLF enemy coastal keeps get taken every day - often hibs can port to mid no problemo (they got the relics so we attack them mostly) and soloers having a problem? not at all - go to a keep and get on the oil, insta rps. And archers? soloing is no issue at all, and assasins? no issue because of new vanish they can climb into a keep and kill 2-3 casters and then just vanish because vanish clears u of guard agro (if they even attack, because they now need to have LoS to u in order to shoot or cast on u etc).

And thing about relics? well duh u have to take keeps in order to open the relic milegate so ur argument is kinda retarded.

I'm loving NF - the battles are great and if you like to make a gank grp u can still do so and kill mini-zergs with ease.

Mids on mlf have the relics ? Only have 2 :( Go to albland already and let us breathe, stinky hibbies :twak:

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
lefo said:
Mids on mlf have the relics ? Only have 2 :( Go to albland already and let us breathe, stinky hibbies :twak:
we cant attack the alb zerg without some pow relics

+ nice xteaming at notmoor just now

Jace

Fledgling Freddie
Why people are so quick pass judgement is beyond me. NF has been out a matter of weeks and the more vocal tank players are all complainging like it's the end of the world.

Yes it's true that tank classes don't currently have allot to do but thats not really the fault of NF as, to be totally fair, keep warfare currently doesn't offer them anything either.

NF is all new and shiny so of course allot of people are getting involved in keep sieges and allot of classes that have long been shunned by groups and realm mates alike are for once getting a chance to shine.

The NF novelty will wear off and RvR will settle down but heopfully to a more even balance of keep warfare / openfield fights as opposed to the mindless emain zerging which is currently RvR . . . and that has to be a good thing.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
It'll probably work out like ToA and other patches... and like shit irl: it sucks but you will get used to it... :rolleyes:

Sigurd

Banned
Heh. Well... on my server, Lancelot - I've barely ever seen a keep being captured. The relic thing - what I mean is, realms will only capture the minimum keeps now because it's so bloody hard, also means one realm has a habit of keeping DF - making it even harder to level for those in underpopulated realms. But - the biggest problem is the lag. Yes, maybe I could enjoy NF more without lag - I'm running a Geforce 3, which I'd say is about average these days - 512 Athlon 1.4 or so... not a new computer but it shouldn't be as useless as it is now to play NF in. Battlegrounds is still occasionally enjoyable - even more stealthers than before of course, but I've owned a fair few with my zealot (like the SB who pa'd me for 22 yesterday :p) so it's not all bad - but the point is, the endgame is severely lacking now. Yes some people will enjoy NF more - those with supercomputers, or at least well above average, and those who picked the right class - archers, assassins mainly now. The rest of us are just a bit screwed.

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
Cyfr said:
Your pc is NOT average.
aye

your pc is way below average

average these days is 512 ram geforce 4 or equiv and 2ghz

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
512 ddr ram is imo not enough to play daoc with...

upgraded to 1,5gb ddr ram and the performance skyrocketed... loading time was gone too Oo

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
Sigurd said:
First of all I'd like to say congratulations to Mythic. They've finally destroyed our game. New Frontiers is a joke - and a bad one at that. At the moment, if I want to play DAoC at all my only choice is to PvE or play in the battlegrounds - the lag is too bad in full RvR and my Blademaster is just a meatshield now anyway. Convinced that you'll love New Frontiers anyway? Buy yourself the latest computer. Roll a stealther (archers in particular) caster or hybrid tank - don't even bother with a normal tank, they've been destroyed completely (I haven't seen a single warrior, and only one or two armsmen/heroes in all the battlegrounds I've played, and certainly none when I've managed to lag my way out of Druim Ligen to "full" RvR)

The lag and destruction of main and light tanks is bad enough by itself, but the rest? Here's one delightful development from New Frontiers! Certain terrain is impassable because "the ground is too steep" - you cannot progress any further upwards and sometimes you'll even get stuck. This "steep ground" can appear out of nowhere - little riverbanks as tall as a Lurikeen are now apparantly "too steep" for your character to climb. Passes and valleys between mountains are "too steep" leaving you to wonder why the fuck Mythic bothered creating them in the first place. You'll run halfway down a hill, turn around, seeing a bunch of Albs running along the bottom and find out you can't climb up the hill you just ran down. Well thanks for the added realism Mythic.
Other terrain features include marsh - which slows your movement, but leads you to wonder "why the hell does this only exist in the frontiers?" and pointless mazes around occasional towers. The new guards are funny - you can be fighting a stealther a foot away from them and they just stand there stupidly. Which leads to the question... why bother placing Mythic's much declared "new hookpoint guards" at all?
The frontiers have also undergone another strange transformation in this new expansion. These "new improved" frontiers are now a lot smaller BUT, and this is the clever part, still littered with places that no-one will EVER visit. Why is this, you ask? Because the fighting only takes place around and in keeps and their towers. That is all. DAoC is now DAoSieges - and the funniest thing, is that people only bother with the towers. It's actually easier to take the relics than capture a fully upgraded, defended keep now. You'd think - now the frontiers are smaller, solo'ers will have it easier... how very wrong you are. A solo'er has to now swim the entire ocean OR port to one of the beach keeps should they actually be taken (I've seen this once, on all the US servers) which basically confines you to your own frontier. Thanks Mythic! It's ok though, because the frontiers have a distinct... sameness to them. Hibernia is Albion only greener, Midgard is Albion only whiter, etc. Huge mountain ranges in little ol' Albion? Why not! Might as well put them in Hibernia too, alongside the typically Irish fjords...

Well, we've determined that New Frontiers is altogether pretty shite, but perhaps the RAs can save it? Perhaps not. For RAs you need RPs for starters - not really happening in New Frontiers - you see, here's the beautiful irony of Mythic's plan - "let's make New Frontiers more accessible to casual players! Let's make everyone capable of finding a battle within minutes!" Hang on a sec, everyone? That means... yep you guessed it. By the time you get there, another 150 of your realm mates have ported and kicked the crap out of the enemy. IF you're lucky you might get there early and earn your 1 RP. So, with your 1 RP, what will you buy? Well purge is essential. Capped purge as that's the only one worth getting, so there goes a third of your entire realm points (assuming you're RR10 already - if you're not, you have a long and fun-packed journey ahead of you!) thanks Mythic once again for making it nice and easy. Once you've spend 30 realm skill points on purge, what should you get next? Well if you're a hybrid you're lucky, you have a few hundred little delights to choose from. Stealthers are equally blessed, although just stuffing everying in Viper (doubly effective poison as far as I'm aware) seems to be the best idea for our little stealthy friends. Support classes MUST get perfect recovery (thanks again mythic) and tanks should just delete or sell their accounts to be honest. Once you have your remarkably similar to those around you realm abilities - you're ready to play!

Or not. Most likely you'll be lagged to death just trying to port to a keep.

Sigurd, either u are playing on a 486, or u are downloading too much pr0n...
Even with my crap computer (P3 1.4, 512mb ram, geforcefx5600) i ran around NF w/o lag, only when 5fg albs were zerging a keep. My imo, frontiers is much better for non-rpwhores, and those who don't like it, whine coz its harder to get arrpee now, imo, the high rr rp penalty is a great way to stop high rr's to farm warders and brehons.

But thats my imo, and you have to chose for yourself.

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
512 ddr ram is imo not enough to play daoc with...

Thats for sure. If I play on main PC with 512k, if I encounter enemies in RvR I lag for 10-20 secs then am dead before can react. Heh, if I play on laptop I've got a wierd slowmotion problem that reinstalling the entire machine hasn't sorted.

But regarding NF I don't really feel that sorry for tanks as they've ruled pretty much every aspect of DAoC for over 2 years now. It will be nice to be one of the (hopefully) viable classes again.

And sorry Neonblue, depsite WoW incoming and my intention to play that, I'll be around for quite some time ;)

Muhahahahaha(TM)

lefo

Fledgling Freddie
i run 2 accs on my ancient 1800+ 512 ram radeon 8500. And no lag at all for me.
Only maybe with 100 people on screen i get some fps drops.

Jace

Fledgling Freddie
Minimum spec for TOA/NF is 1.4 ghz CPU and 3D card with 32 mb video RAM.

Might explain why someone running an Athlon 1.4 and a Geforce 3 card is having problems and, imo, that IS somewhat below the average nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom