GoA not allowing people to roll alts on diffarent realms on the cluster

Should GoA take away the one realm restriction on cluster servers?

• Yes.

Votes: 283 74.3%
  • No.

Votes: 98 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
GrivneKelmorian said:
Payed subscriptions to GoA for 4 years on two accounts, only to get limited to 1/3 of the game.

However, playing devils advocate here: That wasnt a problem for 3,5 year of the 4 years. You almost exclusively played Midgard, except for a short-trip to Alb/Excal.

It is too bad new players are restricted to 1 realm, I agree with that, however I also think if you're an older-player, and 'still' didnt start the 2nd realm before clustering, you never showed any interest in neither the news on the website, or the other realm.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Puppet said:
However, playing devils advocate here: That wasnt a problem for 3,5 year of the 4 years. You almost exclusively played Midgard, except for a short-trip to Alb/Excal.

It is too bad new players are restricted to 1 realm, I agree with that, however I also think if you're an older-player, and 'still' didnt start the 2nd realm before clustering, you never showed any interest in neither the news on the website, or the other realm.
However, it's pretty boring that after trying the 2nd realm you can't delete and start the 3rd without deleting all your character on both realms :x

Appendix

Fledgling Freddie
Yes please remove the restrictions, not only from the cluster but from all servers. I can no longer see any valid reason why we shouldn't be allowed to log on to any realm on any server without enforced delays. Cross-realming may have been an issue back in the days when daoc was thriving and had a large playerbase on all realms.

Today GOA should be thankful for anyone who's still loyal to the game and not enforce pointless restrictions. More options available for the still active players as well as newcomers mean they are more likely to stick with the game for another few months. I.e. more business for GOA.

To me it's obvious that removing restrictions would only be advantageous to the game and the community. I'm curious as to why people voted no in this poll since noone has presented any sensible arguments why restrictions should be kept in place...

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Appendix said:
Yes please remove the restrictions, not only from the cluster but from all servers. I can no longer see any valid reason why we shouldn't be allowed to log on to any realm on any server without enforced delays. Cross-realming may have been an issue back in the days when daoc was thriving and had a large playerbase on all realms.

Today GOA should be thankful for anyone who's still loyal to the game and not enforce pointless restrictions. More options available for the still active players as well as newcomers mean they are more likely to stick with the game for another few months. I.e. more business for GOA.

To me it's obvious that removing restrictions would only be advantageous to the game and the community. I'm curious as to why people voted no in this poll since noone has presented any sensible arguments why restrictions should be kept in place...

Thats true. A few stayed when WoW was released(it sucked, but still a bit left for it), all the crap that happens with the server(ie XML down, Prydwen down for two weeks, items still not restored etc)

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Appendix said:

I highly doubt cross realming would be an issue if they did this. There's nothing really to cross realm anymore anyway. It used to be relic raids relied on quick attacks so "spies" were a big problem. In the days of NF relic raids can be seen coming from a mile away before the relic actually gets removed so it's hardly an issue.

The reason I think this would be a terrible idea however is everyone would be tempted into playing the FoTM realm. Hibs get 6 relics, expect rvr to contain 287 hibs, 21 albs and 7 mids. Unlike now where guilds tend to be based on it's home realm so you tend to fight back, i'd imagine people would realm hop on a fairly regular basis.

Nosufer

Fledgling Freddie
I would just like to create a character on Alb/prydwen on my new account which has my main character on hib/excal.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I'm contemplating getting a third account at the moment, but I'm not going to do it if I can only roll in one realm.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'm fortunate enough to have my 3 accounts all setup for the realms, although the 3rd account is inactivate at the moment. :p

1st: Albion/Prydwen Hibernia/Excalibur
2nd: Albion/Prydwen Midgard/Excalibur
3rd: Hibernia/Excalibur Midgard/Prydwen

I'd like to see GOA/Mythic work on this problem and not ignore it. Players on US servers haven't been affected by it too much, however once the classic servers are in a single cluster they'll only have one choice for that cluster.

I don't expect it to be easy to create a character in another realm on the same cluster, however the option should be there. Maybe you could only create a new character in another realm after 24 hours of not playing another realm, but after that the existing 1 hour rule could apply as normal.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
A shame none of the GMs could be arsed replying to this thread at any point. :(

Nosufer

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:

I was going to post the same thing. I would like to hear a GOA GM's take on this.

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
Why not be able too play 3 realms on 1 account on 1 server WITH delay, maybe 15 mins or so. so you dont get all the people switching realms quick to tell someone on the other realm he/she is a total ass...
I never could be arsed starting on Midgard as i didnt want too delete my hib and alb chars, and although my german is good i didnt wanne play on ze german servers. Im not going to start about french servers because they are a total mistery to me :D

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Azathrim said:
Why? We can't particularly contribute usefully to this discussion as the limitation is due to game code and not any policy of ours. If you feel strongly about this issue, the place to direct that feeling is the Feedback Form. Whether we wanted to or not, we can't lift this restriction.

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Why? We can't particularly contribute usefully to this discussion as the limitation is due to game code and not any policy of ours.

I think that information will be enough ;) so yes you can contribute usefull information as you just did /hug

IainC

Phooka said:
I think that information will be enough ;) so yes you can contribute usefull information as you just did /hug
It was in a Herald Grab Bag, as well as in practically every piece of news that we published on our news site pre-cluster, this isn't new and hitherto unrevealed secret info I'm sharing here.

Sanya said:
Q: I deleted my character on a clustered server by accident, and the CSRs say they cannot restore him. In the past, though, the CS people have been very kind about restoring me. Why the change?

A: It's always been that we would restore if we COULD, but there could be some technical problems (such as people creating new characters, bumping old characters out of the backup files). And of course, we wouldn't restore characters whose logs demonstrated a certain impurity of purpose, if you get my drift.

Now the bad news: Any characters deleted on a clustered server will likely not be able to be restored unless all of your characters on that cluster are in the same realm. There are a lot of technical reasons for this involving the way data is stored and how we access it. And if it's possible, you can be sure that we'll continue to help. But please be extremely careful deleting characters on clusters, because the odds of us being able to retrieve the data on clusters are lower than they are on regular servers.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
please all, post the following on the Mythic feedback form

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject:
- Questions
Your name:
Your email:
- ****@****
Your primary server:
- Prydwen/Excalibur Cluster (Europe)
Your primary character class and level:
Your account ID:
- **** (Europe)
Comments:
- On the european servers run by Goa we only have two english language servers running on standard code (Prydwen and Excalibur). Fact is that these servers are now clustered which gives us the problem that we can only run one realm effectively, two if we are older players but only those realms we have set prior to the clustering with a switch delay of an hour. If we want to try a different realm we need to delete all the characters of the previous realm and only then can we try another realm.
I, as many others, don't like to delete my main characters (and the characters on the second server for those that have them) on my account just to try Albion or Hibernia. Besides new players have no option other than buying new accounts to try out other realms.

In the current state of the game it really has not much drawback making it so to allow one account to access all three realms on a cluster (like on PvP or Co-Op servers) and reducing the login delay to another realm to 15 minutes. Chances of spying are minimal because a big raid can be seen on the realmwar map faster than those 15 minutes and PvE raids are publicly advertised.

We would like to ask you to make this possible to allow more freedom on the european servers so that we can play the game fully, and not limit us to one-third of what the game is ment to be.

With regards,
**name**

PS. more information and a poll on this can be found on the european forum here:
https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=193440

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And lets hope Mythic can make it work ;)
(ofcourse substitute all the asterixed stuff with your own stuff :))

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Feedback form sent Ingafgrinn! :)

Requiel said:
Why? We can't particularly contribute usefully to this discussion as the limitation is due to game code and not any policy of ours. If you feel strongly about this issue, the place to direct that feeling is the Feedback Form. Whether we wanted to or not, we can't lift this restriction.

And yes, it is valuable for the community that you reply. It means you are aware of the player wish.

Hell, you could even use your contacts at Mythic to tell them that GoA thinks it would be really cool if they allowed this. That GoA contacts Mythics and says "Hey, we at GoA think ..." is probably worth more than 100 european players writing a feedback form on the Herald.

Are you willing to tell Mythic that through GoA's channels?

IainC

Azathrim said:
Feedback form sent Ingafgrinn! :)

And yes, it is valuable for the community that you reply. It means you are aware of the player wish.

Hell, you could even use your contacts at Mythic to tell them that GoA thinks it would be really cool if they allowed this. That GoA contacts Mythics and says "Hey, we at GoA think ..." is probably worth more than 100 european players writing a feedback form on the Herald.

I think you have overestimated the amount of sway we have over decisions like that at Mythic. If it gets changed it will be because Mythic think it's a good enough idea to devote some dev time to - regardless of where the suggestion comes from. If even one player makes a suggestion that is a genuinely good idea, that has as much chance of being implemented as anything we can push at them. They'll do it because it's worth doing not because we ask them to do it.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
So when the European players had trouble with european character sets, ie.. forinstance danish æøå, you didn't mention this to Mythic, but hoped that player feedback would make them aware of the special issue on the European servers?

IainC

Azathrim said:
So when the European players had trouble with european character sets, ie.. forinstance danish æøå, you didn't mention this to Mythic, but hoped that player feedback would make them aware of the special issue on the European servers?
That's not the same at all. Special character support not working was a bug and we flagged it as such for fixing. Changing the gamecode in the way requested by this thread is not comparable either in type or scope. Making it possible to create new characters on different realms of a cluster is likely to be much more involved than switching about some if/then code as it has potential repercussions on the character databases and the mechanisms that manage many different aspects of the game. Not to say it can't be done, but if it was as simple as has been suggested then I imagine that Mythic would have either implemented it or given a good reason why they didn't want to.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Thankyou Mr. Macabre, I've used that template you did and sent feedback.

And thankyou Requiel, your replies were useful to let us know why this change didn't seem to be about to happen and gave us a good way to go about getting what we want ;)

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
That's not the same at all. Special character support not working was a bug and we flagged it as such for fixing. Changing the gamecode in the way requested by this thread is not comparable either in type or scope. Making it possible to create new characters on different realms of a cluster is likely to be much more involved than switching about some if/then code as it has potential repercussions on the character databases and the mechanisms that manage many different aspects of the game. Not to say it can't be done, but if it was as simple as has been suggested then I imagine that Mythic would have either implemented it or given a good reason why they didn't want to.

As was discussed in this thread, these are purely speculations on your part. Certainly, well meant speculations, but still a speculation.

The fact remains, that your costumer base have expressed a desire that are the direct result of the current server setup you provide. You as an organisation are aware of this costumer demand.

The least you could do is forward the request through your channels to your partner and let them know. Then leave it to Mythic to judge whetever this is feasable or not within their project schedule.

Afterall, who knows best whats possible on their developement schedule: A foreign partner CSR or Mythic themself?

Nosufer

Fledgling Freddie
I sent feedback, if all the people who voted in this poll took a few minutes to send in feeback using the above template it might influence some future decisions.

Wilburn

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

To change the subject. Im using emerikol UI which is a Skin made for the american servers. Now which file in the skin do I need to change to get the Danish letters in the skin :)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
I think you have overestimated the amount of sway we have over decisions like that at Mythic. If it gets changed it will be because Mythic think it's a good enough idea to devote some dev time to - regardless of where the suggestion comes from. If even one player makes a suggestion that is a genuinely good idea, that has as much chance of being implemented as anything we can push at them. They'll do it because it's worth doing not because we ask them to do it.

That's how it should work, but with development companies that's never how it works out. A very very good suggestion can get planned to be implemented but actually never get implemented because it's not worth the effort (in terms of personal effort and effort in terms of manpower). If enough people simply state that they would very much appreciate it only then it becomes worth the effort. Even then it's doubtful that they'd implement it any time soon.

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
my EUaccounts wasnt active when cluster came. Means I'm kindof stuck in hibb :)

Same problem here - was away for a while and had never created chars on Excal, now I can only do same realm as I already have, so no point. Would like restriction to be removed if it is possible, I appreciate it makes x-realming easy - but then so do IRC and Voicechat programmes.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:

I guess Requiel ain't willing to communicate these costumer wishes to their affiliate.

A shame.

IainC

Azathrim said:
I guess Requiel ain't willing to communicate these costumer wishes to their affiliate.

A shame.
You assume too much Azathrim.
Firstly you assume that because I haven't replied (because I was away for a few days) that I am not going to pass on the request.
Secondly you assume that Goa (generally, rather than me specifically) is unaware of this limitation and the fact that many of our customers would like to see it removed.

I've said it before in different threads but I'll say it again. I always pass on concerns from the community to the people at Goa who deal with the appropriate area. That's part of my job and I don't need to be asked specifically to do it. I've summed up the most pertinant replies to ths feedback in an earlier post already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom