Zoom X6 ADSL modem/router connection freezing

Sar

Part of the furniture
I bought a Zoom X6 ADSL Wireless Modem/Router (the 5590 at the top of the page), and I've got everything set up and whatnot, with the hardware firewall etc set up and running perfectly.

However, I have noticed that the connection will drop sometimes, and I have to turn the router off then on again, before I can use the net.

Now Plusnet, who is my ISP, have a habit of dropping my connex on my old Speedtouch modem, but there it was a simple matter of re-dialling (an advantage of a router over a USB modem!), but the router won't automatically re-connect. Is there a way of setting it up so it will?

BTW: Is there any need for a software firewall now I have this router up and running? This is the first router I've owned, so I'm still n00bish with it tbh :)

TIA :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Are you on ADSL2+? Sounds exactly like the problem I was having. My netgear router would lose connections and only reconnect with a reboot. It was a server side problem, I was syncing with the exchange too fast and couldn't mantain the connection. Have a word with PlusNet and tell them what's going on, they should be able to twizzle some dials and stuff and get your connection to be solid.

As for the software firewall - the router means that your PC isn't directly connected to the net, so no one can directly access your machine. However, if a virus initiates a connection from your PC the router will do nowt. A software firewall will tell you what's incoming and more importantly outgoing from your PC. I don't use one but the router doesn't make it redundant.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Cheers Nath, I'll fire off a ticket to PN :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
I've changed it now to run on a NIC I've just installed, see if the onboard lan on my A8N was the problem...

Sar

Part of the furniture
Nope, it's doing it again.

:/

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah it sounds as if it's exactly what I was having. If it makes you feel better - when I spoke to them on the phone (after they got me to do shit loads of stuff to make sure I wasn't a retard) they fixed it there and then. Shouldn't require bollocking around at the exchange or whatever.

Sar

Part of the furniture
It appears that the ethernet connection is dying first though.

I ran a couple of network tools last night while the connection dropped, and the data flow on the lan part of the connection stopped dead before the router's connection to the net dropped.

Sar

Part of the furniture
It may be a firmware issue - there's a firmware update that fixes a lan DHCP/DNS issue, which is what is happening.

I'll flash it today when I get home, and hopefully that should fix it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If it's a DHCP issue, you could always just give yourself a static IP?

Sar

Part of the furniture
I already have one with PN :/

Tried the firmware update - connex died 45 mins later :(

Sar

Part of the furniture
Think I have it cracked - it appears the ethernet connection doesn't like my bluetooth port active.

:/

So it's been up for 4 hours now, which is by far the longest it's been up and running.

Sar

Part of the furniture
ADSL Link UP Time: 0 day 21 hour 5 min 51 sec

Definitely sorted. Bloody bluetooth :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom