ZoneAlarm and games?

M

mank!

After reformatting and reinstalling etc, I put on ZoneAlarm and for some reason it seems to be messing up my games. When I try and play Q2, CS and ET the mouse only works intermittently, it seems to be a clash between the keyboard and the mouse. The mouse works fine so long as I don't use the keyboard, and sometimes it works if I'm using it but most of the time the mouse freezes up entirely and jumps about 200 pixels at a time. I've tried it without ZoneAlarm running and it's fine.

The confusing thing is Q3 runs absolutely fine with ZoneAlarm running :/

J

Jonty

Hi mank!

Your computer really doesn't like you, does it? ;) hehe. To be honest, this seems like a very strange problem. Have you tried opening ZoneAlarm, clicking the 'Program Control' tab, then the 'Programs' tab and giving the games full 'Allow' access (four green ticks). By doing this, ZoneAlarm shouldn't interfere with the operation of the games. If it fixes the problem, all well and good, but technically speaking I'd be surprised if it did fix matters :) If you're still having troubles, just shout, and I'll have a search for others suffering similar problems.

Kind Regards

Edit ~ Perhaps a more helpful place to try? ZoneAlarm Forums.

M

mank!

I'm fed up of computers atm, thankfully I'm going away in a few days, can't wait to get away from it!

It's four green ticks for all the games, same as with Q3. I say it's down to ZoneAlarm, but perhaps it isn't? I'll try again now with it on and with it off.

edit: Tried it with it on and it gives me problems, with it turned off it's fine. I'll have a look at those forums, thx

J

Jonty

Perhaps a break will do you good :D hehe. I have to say it seems like an odd connection, but then again stranger things have happened. Just try and recreate the problem, if you can. If you can isolate it so you know for sure it is ZoneAlarm causing you trouble, then things become easier to diagnose. Also, do the games actually crash? If so, what error message, if any, is given?

Good luck

C

Clowneh!

happeend to me, and make my games really jerky...

i uninstalled zonealarm :p

J

Jonty

You could use Outpost, I guess, if ZoneAlarm is the cause (Thanks (Shovel) and mookie).

Kind Regards

C

Custodian

I use ZoneAlarm, and have never experienced that kind of problem because of it. (Always a fist time of course)

However, I also have an old slow PC (PIII800 with Win98) and I often get those mouse go slow and jumping symptoms when the machine is just too busy to keep up :rolleyes:

Could summat be running in the background that is trying to get to the internet and keeping ZoneAlarm busy?

M

mank!

Originally posted by Jonty
Just try and recreate the problem, if you can. If you can isolate it so you know for sure it is ZoneAlarm causing you trouble, then things become easier to diagnose. Also, do the games actually crash? If so, what error message, if any, is given?

Well, I've made the connection that it's obviously to do with ZoneAlarm but it's not causing any games to crash. The most confusing thing is that Q3 runs perfectly normally, but I'm not sure why. I'm going to try and reinstall IntelliPoint/IntelliType and see if that makes any difference, I'd rather not use Outpost as what I've read in a previous thread - the one mookie and Shovel recommended it in - it's quite advanced, and I'm not :)

I've used ZoneAlarm in the past without problems as well, albeit over 12 months ago.

M

mank!

Originally posted by Custodian
I use ZoneAlarm, and have never experienced that kind of problem because of it. (Always a fist time of course)

However, I also have an old slow PC (PIII800 with Win98) and I often get those mouse go slow and jumping symptoms when the machine is just too busy to keep up :rolleyes:

Could summat be running in the background that is trying to get to the internet and keeping ZoneAlarm busy?

I'm on a fairly high spec machine - P4 2GHz @ 2.2, 512mb DDR RAM and plenty of HDD space, but surely if ZoneAlarm was blocking something else it'd mess up when I was playing Q3 as well?

M

mookie

despite outposts powerful features mank, its incredibly easy to use, even for a body slave :)

M

mank!

Got it :)

zonealarm.png

What it protected exactly, I don't know but it seems to have been causing the problem so I disabled it and it's fine. It's found under the firewall main advanced tab, if anyone else ever has this problem.

Cheers for the help guys :)

M

mookie

its might be to counteract any trojan's 'remote desktop' feature from taking control of your mouse or keyboard

or it might not. just a thought :)

J

Jonty

Well done mank!, very impressive :D You've got to love the help file entry on this feature . . .

ZoneAlarm Help File
Disable Keyboard and Mouse Protection Option Turns off the keyboard and mouse protection feature.
hehehe :D

Kind Regards

M

mank!

Probably, but I won't get trojans with NAV running now will I? ¦]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom