Zone Alarm

CstasY

Fledgling Freddie
Hello guys,

I've been having a bit of a problem with my computer since my 'ZoneLabs Trial' ended, about a week ago. It all seemed rosey until the day in which the trial stopped working. I logged on and got the usual ZoneLabs box up, however, as expected: It claimed the trial had ended and I was nolonger protected. I was given 3 options, to 'Buy now', to 'Enter License Key' or to simply push 'Cancel' (Also the red X in the top right.) Being the tight fisted bugger that I am, I decided not to make a purchase, and instead clicked on cancel. ZoneLabs gave me some message about not being to reactivate Zone Alarm through the start menu, without first entering a License Key, and I clicked Ok and exited the program.

From here on in things get a bit confusing, after exiting the now expired Zone Alarm version, I found out that I could nolonger access ANYTHING on my computer. Docs, Games, Music, whatever; all gave the same message, something along the lines of: 'Windows cannot access the specified Device/Path or File. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.' Trying 'My Computer' gave me the message: 'There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more programs, and then try again.' Now, my computer isnt exactly ancient, it has more than enough free memory, and even without ANY other programs running - My Computer still gave the same error message.

After a reboot, I was greeted by the now, somewhat familiar ZoneLabs box, telling me that my free trial had expired, and to click here to 'Buy now' etc.
I, again, tried to close it down - Only to find the same problem as before, that my permission levels were destroyed and I was unable to access anything. I didnt even have sufficient permissions to CLOSE DOWN the fucking computer. Rather annoyed, I booted everything up again, and this time, when greeted by the ZoneLabs box, headed straight for the uninstall button in the start menu. Low and behold, upon trying to uninstall the program, I was told that yet again: I DONT HAVE THE PERMISSIONS TO DO SO. Add/remove programs gives the same message.

So, the question is guys: Any particular way I can take this shit off my PC without reformating?

(Yes I AM the user with the highest permission levels possible, on this particular computer.)

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
coudl try booting into safe mode (hold f8 key when PC starting up) then removing it using add/remove programs

CstasY

Fledgling Freddie
Cheers for the replies guys. I'l give both a try.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Serbitar said:
coudl try booting into safe mode (hold f8 key when PC starting up) then removing it using add/remove programs

Carefull on following that advice. Seems sensible and I was gonna post the same, but then reading the link posted above they say dont do that as it wont fully uninstall...

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
if you want a free firewall, try Sygate Personal Firewall.

download page - german, but I guess you can find the download button ;)

it's free for personal use and does it job pretty well as far as I can tell.

Fiver

Fledgling Freddie
AGV got a nice free firewall and a virus scanner..i think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom