zombie / virus books

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I've been searching for a good zombie themed / virus type of books to get stuck into. I'm a bit of a zombie fan and with the remake of "dawn of the dead" my thirst for something zombie is growing.

can anyone recommend any? :) Basically books where mandkind goes to hell and zombies rise or a virus starts wiping people out.

I'm not nuts just doing some research :}

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I'd say there are lots, can't name that many though, not a type of book I tend to collect!

You could try 'The Stand' by Steven King, a pretty good virus armageddon book, try to get the extended version.

The 'Rats' trilogy by James Herbert are quite good, whilst not being strictly about a virus, they are about a plague of man eating rats, with the last one being suitably apocalyptic!

They're sci-fi, but very good, the 'Nights dawn trilogy' by Peter F. Hamilton.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
inactionman said:
They're sci-fi, but very good, the 'Nights dawn trilogy' by Peter F. Hamilton.

I second that emotion! They're gritty, ruthlessly violent in places, with plenty of plot/sub-plot twistyness to keep you going. Not exactly zombie/virus fare though, but of that ilk..if you will.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
I read one called "The Highest Form of Killing"...but it was a point horror.

Still a good book, but probably not a intellectual read at your age :)

I wonder if there was a book version of 28 Days Later....?

Gumbo

FH is my second home
inactionman said:
You could try 'The Stand' by Steven King, a pretty good virus armageddon book, try to get the extended version.

Book forum / film forum crossover shocker!

Did you see The Stand Mini series? As I recall it was pretty damn good, with Gary Sinise in the lead and Rob Lowe as a deaf guy.

I've always struggled with Stephen King books for some reason, maybe I ought to try again with this one, hmmmm.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Dunno if this really counts..........actually it doesnt, but it is kinda post-apocalypse type thing. Z is for Zacahria (sp)

Gil

Can't get enough of FH
'48 by James Herbert. Part virus part alternate history. Not bad read iirc

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Gumbo said:
Book forum / film forum crossover shocker!

Did you see The Stand Mini series? As I recall it was pretty damn good, with Gary Sinise in the lead and Rob Lowe as a deaf guy.

I've always struggled with Stephen King books for some reason, maybe I ought to try again with this one, hmmmm.

The mini series was ok, I thought 'IT' was better, although the books are better than any of the mini-series'!

Stephen King's books used to be ok, Misery is great, as are Salem's lot & Pet Cemetary, but from Dolores Claiborne it all goes downhill, and he seems to lose it, although the 'Gunslinger' books are supposed to be fairly good fantasy.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Reasonable 'virus-type' book I read recently called Prey by Michael Crichton. Nothing spectacular but a fair read.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Lots of John Christopher books concern the plague scenario's. He's seen as a children's writer, but I still have a lot of affection for books such as Empty World (and naturally the tripods trilogy rocks, but no virus or zombies in there).

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear. Not sure if it's about a virus as I haven't finished it yet, but it seems to be going down that road.

On second thoughts, that's of no use at all if I haven't finished it.

*slaps self silly*

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
just read '48, great book. Not very frightening, but one of those great actiony type books

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom