Zalman heat pipe cooling

S

smurkin

Maplins, excellent, went down there yesterday...full of computer stuff, like a kid in a candy shop :D ...and open Sunday too :)

Anyway saw this (hope it links ok)

34546i0.jpg

and as I decided to hold off an upgrade in favour of an overclock of my cpu and ATI rad8500. Now I'm hoping to get the Radeon upto nearly 350/350 Mhz from my current OC of 295/295 (a nice chap called Bambers told me this would work).

But I need to cool the RAM and the GPU. Now I know the shuttle uses cpu heatpipes....so they must be effective....but would I be better off with a fan (bearing in mind my cpu has a 7,500 rev fan and sounds like a hairdryer) ? Also, if I buy a shuttle next month, are the pipes likely to fit inside that tight lil box.

Thanks

/sg

B

bids

Can't answer the first questions about fans, but I have one of these cooling units on my Ti4600, and they allow me to overclock standard speeds by 15% without any problems. However, there's no way you'll get this into a Shuttle. The card is bloody massive once you've put the heat sinks on - takes one PCI slot to the left/underneath the card, and the pipe sticks out on the other side. 'Spose you could mod the case to get it to fit, but otherwise you simply won't get it in.

S

smurkin

Thanks...back to the drawing board then :spin:

S

smurkin

Nice, much cheaper too...and Maplins have them in the shop :cool:

Q

Quige

Yeah I got that fan kit from Maplins when the original fan on my Geforece 4 died. It seems that Maplins have spotted a bit of a gap in the market and are turning themselves into the enthusiast computer hobbyist's shop on the high street - which is certainly handy :)

S

smurkin

HELL yeah...they even have a section on overclocking on their website :D

Users who are viewing this thread