Your personal view - Is Emotional music becoming more and more widely acceptable?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Following on from a discussion I had with some friends, after they showing me some music that they were listening to... then it struck me...

I'd been listening to the same bands for about 4-5 years, but back then, I had to keep it under the radar, because they were universally known as 'emo' bands - and emo was the worse 'tag' to have!

As Laddey posted quite a while ago - Mumford and Sons, they're pretty mainstream, but they're so different to your bog-standard R&B music - they're folk, and pretty 'emo' if you listen to the lyrics...

So is 'emo' music becoming more and more widely acceptable and will more and more artists use a emotional side of music, not running around shooting people and having sex? :)

Anyway, the song that made me post this was; YouTube - Daisy - Brand New

What's your views?

eksdee

FH is my second home
emo is a completely bastardised term anyway. the original bands that were coined as emo were mostly american bands in the late 80s and early to mid 90s such as rites of spring, moss icon, indian summer, the hated etc. etc. etc.

as for bands that are termed with the moniker these days, it's pretty predictable that they at first were seen as weird/different by the average dude or dudette that only will bother to check out the latest dizzy rascal single or what have you, simply through repeated exposure.

as for emotion in music itself, or 'emotional' music as you put it - most of the most popular songs since... forever have been sad songs, with a deeper meaning or whatever you would like to associate with them being 'emotional'. i also think it is a pretty huge misrepresentation of R&B, hip hop and dance music (or anything termed 'other' by fans of 'rock' music and its various subsidiary styles and terms) to automatically assume that there is no emotional output from those styles of music. it may be culturally, socially or even emotionally alien or unrelatable to you but that certainly does not mean it is only about 'running around shooting people and having sex'. that said, what could be referred to as bog standard R&B and pop music in general is just about as vapid as that, i can agree.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
All music is some sense emotional, it provokes a certain memory or feeling when listened to. Even some Hard House tunes that may just sound like noise to some will bring back fantastic memories and tears to others

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
As Sparx said, all music is designed to produce emotions or a particular feel(ing). 'Emo', is just melodrama and angst, usually over trivia, with the emotions hightened to the point of ridiculousness.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I think the problem alot of people had with "emo" music is that it was kindof seen as music for angsty teens by angsty teens. Your teenage years are tough, you have no self confidence, very little power or authority and are just starting to come to terms with sexuality and relationships. However I'm sorry, a single mother who is struggling to feed kids, a person who can't make the rent or a wife suffering from domestic abuse, these are people with real problems and that is why emo bands and topics get very little respect. IMO.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
emo music is still unacceptable

emotional music has always been acceptable

leviathane

Part of the furniture
the only brand new album i listen to is deja entendu. Good album imo :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Some of its ok.

Though I would call emo music the kind of shit spoilt middle class kids listen to when they are moaning how shit their life is because mummy wouldn't give them a lift somewhere.

I have a friend on facebook like that, its hilarious.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
emo music is still unacceptable

emotional music has always been acceptable

heh, it's perception of...my favourite issue. my perception of of the genre "emo" in music, is a bunch of kids made to look like idiots by large corporations to sell things to other kids.
there is a variant where a bunch of idiots (aka people who are (much) older than the target audience) are made to look like kids to sell things to other kids.

usually the product is prefabricated generic pap (in this case loosely termed "music"), made to slide easily down a hole that becomes increasingly used to the disgusting flood. having said that, now and then there are gems, but sadly there are few and far between.

not saying I am a god of musical taste, far from it. I mean, I own two Coldplay albums ffs, but I do know this: if you like some music then by all means listen to it. buy the album when it comes out, and flip the bird to anyone who tells you otherwise.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
All music is some sense emotional, it provokes a certain memory or feeling when listened to. Even some Hard House tunes that may just sound like noise to some will bring back fantastic memories and tears to others
A case in point is the remix of Together's "Hardcore Uproar". I loved it when it first came out and I love the remix now. There's a line that says it all;
"Real people, real music, no dress code, no excuses"

Many people will think it's pointless club music with a house piano sound. For me it reminds me of a very happy time in my life
Each to their own.

I found the OP track not to my liking. It was too syncopated and not melodic enough for my taste. I tend not to hear the words in a song until much later in it's lifecycle so emotional content is usually wasted on me. I've always liked "The Kids Aren't Alright" by The Offspring because it's got driving guitar and vocals with power behind them. It was only in recent months when I took time to listen to the words that I realised it's a really dark theme... totally at odds with the "up" sound of the music.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
As long as ppl use headphones, they can listen to what they like. Even drum & bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom