Your Next GPU?

E

Embattle

What will be the GPU at the center of your next graphics card?

T

Testin da Cable

methinks it will be ati this time

J

Jonty

nVidia's NV35 ought to be the 'next big thing' and should produce an interesting contest with ATi's R400 (providing those rumours aren't true that places the R400 as a late Q4 2003/2004 product). Speculation suggests both will ship with 256MB RAM, although neither will apparently stretch to 512MB until at least 2004. Whether or not DDR-II RAM will feature remains to be seen, and appears to be very much a cost issue. Both will be based around a 0.13 micron-level design, with each company keen to progress to 90 nanometer technology next year.

In terms of features, both should ship with DX 9.1 support, so ATi's PR people can quit adding '+'s. Some in the industry suggest nVidia is working on revised versions of their leading technologies, most noteably their CineFX system, whilst ATi is also out to improve their existing feature set.

As yet it is still debatable whether these cards will be revolutionary or merely evolutionary. Personally, for what it's worth, I still believe hardware manufacturers are too far ahead of the industry to really make this summer's graphics card lineup spectacular. There are still incredibly few games that will utilise DX9 or OpenGL. Even DOOM III or Deus Ex 2 doesn't rely on such technology. However, once games and other such resource-intensive visual applications catch up, then hopefully we'll experience the next paradigm shift. Real-time cinematic visuals here we come :D

Kind Regards

Jonty

Edit - Oops, forgot to decide :p I'll probably go with nVidia since I have a long history with their products, and their strong industry relations still outmatch ATi. That said, ATi's pricing is in places akin to AMD when compared against Intel

P

PR.

Next one will be a nVidia, not this new one out but whatever is out after that...

S

(Shovel)

I'm torn. I've voted ATi, because I'm curious to try them out properly. The cards are certainly getting much better now.

I've had nVidia for the last two - a GF2MX and now a Ti4200 (both Abit flavour) and they've been very good.

The GFFX is certainly a turn off, but I wont be buying a new card until the GF6 generation cards come out anyway.

And even then, it'll only be a standard model.

O

oblivion_6

I saw a thing yesterday on a magazine about the new geforce FC or something

I might get that to replace my geforec4 but its a nice ti4600 and i havent had any probs at all and dont forsee any for maybe at least another year

F

FatBusinessman

I think I'll probably get an nVidia card. Had 2 in the past, and they've not let me down.

It just won't be a GeForce FX.

X

xane

I never really consider a new card unless my system needs it, I tend to play MMOGs so the connection is more important than the performance. Plus my old monitor is limited to 1024x768, so high resolution performance doesn't really matter to me.

Last upgrade was from a GeForce 2 GTS 32MB to a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB, and I can honestly say that considering the leap of technology it did not make an ounce of difference to the games I was playing at the time, although I have to say I'd probably not be running Battlefield 1942 (installed later on) at the same detail if I had not upgraded.

EVE is my next gaming bitch, and it demands DirectX 9.0. I don't go for the "£100 gets you 1% improvement" models, so a mid range card using all the features will be next on the list, but for now the Ti4200 is doing nicely.

I'm no fanboi tho, and I don't have Mad Onion crap installed to measure my penis size either, whatever card does the business on the games and fits my pocket will do, so ATi may well get a look in.

C

.Cask

I spent over £200 on my current Ti4400 so there's no way in hell that I'm gonna be replacing that for at least another 2 years.

I'm not made of money... sheesh.

S

smurkin

The GFFX is certainly a turn off

Its interesting to see people's loyalty depsite ATI having a clear lead (in perfromance..if not sales) at the top end for (6?) months. Clearly the FX is such a colossal lemon...no one has bought it...and hence no one gets really disappointed with it. But I wonder if that will be the case if (big IF) after another 6 months ATI is still in the lead (and particularly after d3 is realeased). Nice to see they got rid of the fx turbine fan on the new cards tho.

Personally, I was thinking of getting a shuttle...so that puts me in the nv camp with the onboard :rolleyes:

E

Embattle

Although an upgrade later and you can join the ATI band again ;)

W

Wij

Something quiet, cheap, DX9 and better than my GF3. It could be made by S3 for all I care :)

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by smurkin
Clearly the FX is such a colossal lemon...no one has bought it...and hence no one gets really disappointed with it.

Erm, is it available to buy right now? Cause that might flaw your logic.

P

PR.

Originally posted by Jonty

You can have my shuttle :p Okay, last post (honest :D), byeeee!

Kind Regards

Aww, I'm looking after getting an almost identical system, just don't have the money for that at the moment :(

S

smurkin

You can have my shuttle

Tempting Mr Jonts, but MD are just accross the road from me and I get trade prices....(plus I want to rip stuff outa my old puter)... I also heard there might be a SN41G3, so I e-mailed shuttle to see if they have a spec and release date.

Erm, is it available to buy right now?

Good point dude, nicely put...anyone for lemonade ? :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread