you know life sucks when...

mank!

Part of the furniture
even pc world reject your job application. i don't think even mcdonalds would employ me now.

i can't find anything at all. i had an interview earlier this week and was offered the job but they pulled the contract as they couldn't afford to take me on over the summer. i'm signed upto reed, monster, totaljobs, fish4 and have been checking the local rag on a daily basis and must have applied for more than twenty jobs. only the the aforementioned interview came as a response.

does anyone have any suggestions whatsoever? i'm at my wit's end. if it wasn't for my apathy tonight i'd be dismantling razorblades........

emo.gif

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well if you are after a retail job and want some interview tips then PM me.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Dont take it to heart. It's well documented (and very obvious) that PC World don't employ anyone with a 3 figure IQ or less than 5 spots. They like someone to do things their way.

I turned up 7 odd years ago with 3 MCP's and a CCIE in the works and I get rejected.

I turned again 2 years ago (desperate times!) and got to an interview and test stage. 40 minutes to build a PC and 40 minutes to fix the software faults preloaded on it.
5 minutes later, PC built.
3 minutes later, Software problems sorted. 10/10. Sorted.
The 5 other testees in the other rooms were still trying to get the motherboard in place.
4 of the 6 testee's were employed. I wasn't one of them.

Don't worry about it - it's all luck, and it just seems like constant catch 22 - you're not experienced enough or your not qualified enough. I was very lucky to have landed my ideal job by phoning them on Thursday, "interview" Friday Morning and started the following Monday. That's after 7 years of looking for that exact type of job. Just keep plugging.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Stick at it Mank, all you can do mate. It will be alright in the end I bet :)

Gray

FH is my second home
Ahh god, PC World. I remember going in there to get my first job after finishing my 2 year course.

Needless to say, their rejection/no comment on the matter sent me spiralling out of computers jobwise. Id like to get back into it, but only where there is a job at the end attached to it, otherwise its just another expensive hobby ;o

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I know how you feel, i'm 19, fairly bright, good a-levels and gcse's. It seems i wouldn't even be able to pay someone to take me off the dole at the moment.

The only think I can thing of is that people are put of by the fact im a ginger :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Problem is even the brightest and best interview like shite, especially in retail where lots and lots of youngsters are looking for a job -especially at this time of the year.

We must have interviewed 30 people for 4 vacancy's a couple of weeks ago, a lot of them were suitable and it really does come down to previous experience and the interview then.

mank!

Part of the furniture
i didn't even get an interview, which is even worse. generally my interviews go quite well, it's just the 'lack of experience' for every menial job i apply for that's the problem.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Keep at it.

Year unemployed now, so it's either a week or a long haul of eating macaroni and macaroni and macaroni and...rice..and more macaroni...*blargh*

What i hate most is the people saying "Well if you wanted a job you would have one! You're just picky/lazy!"

A-holes.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
i spent over a month looking for a job with not much success. i must've given in a hundred CVs, visited loads of stores and talked to managers etc. have you tried a temping agency? i've worked a few jobs in the past month thanks to them and on wednesday i'm starting at a big BP office doing data entry for a tenner an hour. i'm not experienced but i scored really well on the typing tests etc at the agency and they've found a few good jobs for me since. sometimes the jobs are only a few weeks/months long but apparently there's a good chance of a permanent job if you impress them. it's frustrating though, you really do have to just keep trying.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Got to agree there. All of the permanent job's I have had were due to doing temp work and proving myself - negating that experience issue.

2 weeks of data input lead to a 5 year job running a busy office, and 2 weeks of packing fruit (thats fruit, not fudge) let to a year as a hardware manager. Even if you don't get that lucky, that's experience you can put on your CV.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I've had massive problems getting work experience at Uni, the only place that ever employed me was McDonalds.

Then my mate, whos never had a job, walks into Ted Baker and gets it a week later.

Most of the places round here seem to hire people on a "I know them" basis. I know it seems a bit desperate, but got any mates you can ask who can maybe get you in somewhere?

And yeah, I'm going to start the temping thing next year, especially now I have my driving license.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I've also had to recently endure this horrible process thanks to redundancy. I was very concerned having gone through the whole job search thing for 6 months with no joy before.

However things can surprise you, i applied for a job and was invited to a 4 hour assessment day. I was a bit worried about 4 hours of tests but once i got there it was brill, they started by saying 'some people are good workers and crap at interviews, others are crap workers but brill in interviews - we want to do a few tests and just get to know you.'

I wish all companies adopted this policy as i think it's ace. Anyhoo got offered the job, and things have turned out brilliantly.

Redundant on the 21st july with a £3k payout, 3 weeks off then start the new job :D

mank!

Part of the furniture
i'm taking today off from job hunting, it stressed me out over the weekend so i'll attempt to cling to my few remaining shreds of sanity.

the most annoying and most disappointing aspect is that i'm either underqualified or lack experience for every entry level job there is out there, how on earth do i get the experience? a-levels in film and psychology aren't particularly practical, i admit, but that's not why i took them.

looking at the jobs about, 90% seem to be IT related so perhaps i ought to try and head in that direction...

i'm signed up with a couple of agencies but i've never had any luck using them. i suppose it's trickier that i'm somewhat in limbo as i'm not sure what i'll be doing in three months time.

at least i don't feel so bad about being rejected by pc world. thanks chaps :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Cheer up. I worked in a chip shop once, I did one night and was fired for being rubbish at it.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
been unemployed nearly a month now but only because I am actually lazy. I haven't worked more than 2 days now since March although the RAF has been paying me until June. I have every driving licence you can think of, but thanks to the area I live in I have the choice of working with fat toothless mullet men or the elderly. If only I lived near an airport I'd be laughing.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
i suppose it's trickier that i'm somewhat in limbo as i'm not sure what i'll be doing in three months time.

at least i don't feel so bad about being rejected by pc world. thanks chaps :)

Did you state that you were only looking for short term work? Very few places are willing to take someone on for such a short period, waste of money training them.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Erm well I need a hair stylist and a make up artist for some of the models I use.

Don't really suppose that helps does it mate? :$

mank!

Part of the furniture
no chet, i've not told anyone i've applied to that i'm only looking for short-term work. i'll get my foot in the door, dazzle them with my handsome good looks, charm and wit then tell 'em.

i'll be your teaboy x

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I only drink coffee mate sorry ;)

Nah seriously, if I had a job going I would let you know. I might need someone to haul round equipment one day.

You lucked out actually thinking about it. I needed an assistant and the first thing they had to do was help a model put her stockings on. The guy nearly fainted.

Good luck finding something. Oh yeah by the way, I know I'll get shouted down but way back when I was your age I was a bit "creative" with my CV. No utter lies, just a bit of fluff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom