"You are strafing in combat, and your attack misses!"

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Anyone else seen this?

During an exp session, i was attemting to circle a mob to get positionals on it whilst MA held the agro.

So, i /stick, then strafe round to get to the back. As i am moving, i swing with a prepared anytime style (amy slash fyi).

I notice i missed, and get this message as feedback...

"You are strafing in combat, and your attack misses!"

oO

I decided to test this further, by spamming amy slash (anytime) and continuing to strafe around the mob.

Same results.

Then i tried strafing and stopping just before the weapon swing... resulted in hitting as normal, (as long as i timed it correctly)

Next test was in a Duel (to simulate RvR combat)

Exactly same results.

My question...

Has anyone else come across this? it's new to me, and have never noticed it before.

My other question would be...

"If this is how its meant to be... how can all these people who straf in RvR ever win a fight ?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I'm fairly certain that it's always been like that with you having to time when you stop just before your swing.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
its been like that for as long as i can remember... strafing is usable if you learn your swingspeed and time it correctly... quite hard to use in RvR tho as everyone move about alot more then in PvE.

Aran Thule

Fledgling Freddie
i wouldnt say its useless, if you swing while strafing you will miss, but it might give you the chance to pull off a side style or get out of sight of the foe.

Glyph

Fledgling Freddie
Aran Thule said:
i wouldnt say its useless, if you swing while strafing you will miss, but it might give you the chance to pull off a side style or get out of sight of the foe.

He was kidding, believe me ;)

living

Fledgling Freddie
Always been like that but u dont always miss when strafeing.. only sometimes.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Strafing pwns if you got a shield to keep people infront of you.

Btw. I HATE getting that message on PA's. Sometimes its really needed to do a PA, guess its walking normally infront of target and sticking nowadays.

Im such a stlong strafer :(

kr0n

Fledgling Freddie
I see the qualifications to join E&E dont include knowledge of DAoC at all, just skills in writing bullshit.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
kr0n said:
I see the qualifications to join E&E dont include knowledge of DAoC at all, just skills in writing bullshit.
Mabye he didn'y play for the last... many months :touch:

tilde

One of Freddy's beloved
Dont play the game as you would have 0ping ;)

/Agrees with kr0n, big laugh :)

Kreig

One of Freddy's beloved
The Strafing then miss thingy has been in the game every since ever.

Crash

One of Freddy's beloved
strafe is the most annoying thing if your a stealther as korax says, u get a *strafing in combat message* whilst pa`ing an infil , just makes the job 10times harer because you start with a bad to-hit rate (or some rubbish) and ultimately die :( :touch:

Arus Canus

One of Freddy's beloved
hmm Urgat, are you sure your E+E ?

strafing thingy been there for ages.... :clap:

liste

Fledgling Freddie
personally finding it hard to understand what asking a question has to do with being an E&E. oh well o_O

Lakih

Resident Freddy
liste said:
personally finding it hard to understand what asking a question has to do with being an E&E. oh well o_O
lack of knowledge in basic game mechanics maybe?

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Well...

Lakih said:
lack of knowledge in basic game mechanics maybe?

Or try, lack of knowledge of "Melee class" mechanics.

Since i have played a shaman from US beta, there has been little need for me to move around mobs to pull positionals off. (IE strafe around a target)

And since i never bothered to straf around in RVR as a Shaman... (Why bother, when you can just drop desease and perma sprint away to kite) this is the first time i have come across this message.

So...

In my effort to better understand an aspect of the game i am not totally familiar (perhaps the ONLY aspect of the game i am not familiar with), i asked the question.

Appologies... "Kr0n" (<Sigh>) if this offends you.

At least i am trying to better myself... so that i can better help other people in future. You should try it to be honest.

It's a lot more fulfiling than attacking other people for no reason.

Thanks to those who replied constructively.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Hard to miss if you played since beta :p
However if your shammie only its understanable :)

Kreig said:

Uhm, how come I remember that it came in some patch? (yes, my mind DO create fake memories and forget other thigs). When I think about it I don't remember anything from when I was first class in SOLIDER. How did I join SOLIDER? AAARRGGHH! (o_O too much FF7)

kr0n

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
It's a lot more fulfiling than attacking other people for no reason.

Who are you to say what I find more "fulfilling"?

Dude, Im speaking for majority of the gamers. In 2 and a half years you say that you haven't played any other character besides Shaman (or mages etc)? Never ever? Dude, your knowledge of DAoC sucks. Period.

Doink-666

Fledgling Freddie
Kreig said:

It has not been around since the start, it came in with a patch :twak:

Classified

Fledgling Freddie
Doink-666 said:
It has not been around since the begginging, it came in with a patch :twak:

Which patch? My first char wasnt melee. I've always had it when I started melee.

Krill

Fledgling Freddie
There is a point made somewhere here though, if it's useless why do some people do it? I fought an infil once, both unbuffed, he strafed constantly and hit me 40 or so times during the fight. Lot's of people strafe around and are hitting quickly. I can understand it if you swing slowly as you get a chance to time stopping to hit, but that's not my experience. So any of you fast-swinging types out there who use strafing?

harm

Fledgling Freddie
If I'm going for a side or back style, I usually walk forwards and backwards and turn like normal. You don't have to strafe to get your char in a proper position. With the increased side radius hit style area thingie, it's even easier to land a side positional style.

"Lag-strafe", or other lag or whatever might come from other things than strafing tho..

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I used to get more of this in PvE, than RvR. Wasn't much of a problem when you time it right.

E&E is not the same as an ingame CSR. Who says the E&E needs to be some geek who's spent 70% of his life idling in IRC and has more knowledge of DAoC than Mythic(which isn't difficult, but anyway). It's more of a community role... which doesn't expect you to memorise patch notes and such crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom