Yorkshire Dales

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Anyone know the Yorkshire Dales / North York Moors well ?

Looking to go for a weeks' long holiday up north. Hire a cottage. Real fireplace. Old fashioned country kitchen cottage in the middle of the English countryside.

Was thinking of somewhere near Sedbergh. Looks lovely there:
http://www.higround.co.uk/Sedbergh/SouthSedberghWalk/SedberghWalk.htm

Anyone recommend other places ?

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
When I lived in the UK I spent some time at malham tarn in the dales, its got some good walks. Personally I wouldnt spend a whole week there. If you are driving you could say spend half a week in the dales and another half week up in the lake district. The lake district is only 45 mins drive from the dales. There are some really nice village pubs sprinkled throught the dales, very good for spending some rest time after a long walk.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
My family live in Sedbergh - in fact in the final picture on the website you can see the flat I lived in til I was 18 and left for Uni (and I have to say never went back!)

The countryside around there is lovely (if you like countryside) but you may want to look for places around Dent - it is more 'villagey' than Sedbergh itself.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Around Kettlewell and Grassington is really nice as well, right on the Dales way, and some very nice pubs nearby.

Somewhere like this that you're looking for?

Marc

FH is my second home
The North Yorks dales are were all the yorkshire drug dealers bury their drugs. I guarantee if you go on there at stupid o clock you will see plenty of dodgy characters digging.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Depending on what sort of thing you're after, Robin Hoods Bay near Whitby is great for a week, there's plenty of stuff to do up and around there and some excellent pubs and there's normally some music going on somewhere in the village.

For the Dales, I would agree with Naetha, anywhere around Grassington is good. There's plenty of pubs in Grassington itself and there's the Angel Inn at Hetton which isn't too bad a drive away if you fancy some incredible food.

http://www.angelhetton.co.uk/

Skipton is a nice town, fairly decent shopping area and a market on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. There's also Bolton Abbey, which is fantastic for walking etc.
If you don't mind a bit of driving then Fountains Abbey is also well worth a visit over near Ripon, which is itself a nice little market town.

So, if you're just wanting a week of doing nothing and relaxing, anywhere around Grassington would be good. One thing I can recommend is Farm Stay. It's a holiday trust thingy run by working farmers who have either self catering or B&B accommodation on the farm and you can find some incredibly nice people in some amazing places.

http://www.farmstayyorkshire.co.uk/

I know Rosemary Hislop at Layhead Farm and she's a lovely lady and her properties are incredibly well maintained and in a nice part of the Dales.

http://www.layhead.co.uk/index.php

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
id advise if you stray into whitby into a pub be prepared.

they dont like strangers. every pub i went to it was like on a soap where someone walks in and the music stops. everyone looks at you and the bar person spits in your pints.

apart from that its all good

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
tris- said:
id advise if you stray into whitby into a pub be prepared.

they dont like strangers. every pub i went to it was like on a soap where someone walks in and the music stops. everyone looks at you and the bar person spits in your pints.

apart from that its all good

Bizarre, never had that problem in Whitby on any of the occasions I've been there. Have stopped at Robin Hoods Bay a couple of times and been to Whiby loads.
Weird.

Delket

One of Freddy's beloved
Been round Sedbergh plenty of times, my mother has a holiday cottage there. Boring as hell in my view but very quiet :p

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Cadiva said:
Bizarre, never had that problem in Whitby on any of the occasions I've been there. Have stopped at Robin Hoods Bay a couple of times and been to Whiby loads.
Weird.

rofl. its not just me. i have step family who expd the same thing. not like i made a big deal when i went either. me n a m8 just walked in pubs and i always got the feeling i was going to be shot dead

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
wuthering heights is sent in the yorkshire moores, and thats all about incest and murder and stuff :) so id watch out.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
I don't know anything about Yorkshire Dales.
But on the other hand, just as a suggestion, i would recommend going on the Norfolk broads on a boat. Its very relaxing and also its a bonus if you like fishing. If you have never been on a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads before, this is what it is like. You drive around on the boat for a while during the day and look at the map for a place you would like to head to and visit. Then you stop there, do whatever you want, visit the town, go to a restaurant, or just relax on the boat if you want to, then you sleep on the boat :). There is lots of places you can stop off at, anywhere from like Norwich City or to a small town in the countryside.

Oh and don't worry if you have never driven a boat before, its very easy.

Something like this is what i mean: http://www.blakes.co.uk/index2.asp?xPage=search_results.asp

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Darksword said:
wuthering heights is sent in the yorkshire moores, and thats all about incest and murder and stuff :) so id watch out.

Close, Wuthering Heights is set on Haworth Moor, part of the Pennines. Which aren't near the Yorkshire Moors, they're over by the coast near Whitby :)

It is all about murder however and the Bronte Parsonage at Haworth is well worth a visit.

http://www.bronte.org.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom