Yet more evidence this country is going crazy

Syri

FH is my second home
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-22308165

Basically a store was forced to withdraw packs of nuts, for failing to include a notice that they may contain nuts...
What next, "warning, contains milk" on milk bottles, in case people are lactose intolerant? "Warning, contains pollen" on flowers in case people suffer from hayfever?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
*Sigh*. The packaging describes the nuts as Monkey Nuts, and didn't say "may contain peanuts", not nuts in general. Which puts a different spin on things wouldn't you say?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yep, gaff is right. What a sensationalist post syri.. at least read the article you are posting about and get the facts right.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Also not seeing anyone die of their hay fever allergies. Don't know the facts but seems a stretch that Lactose is going to kill someone too, although I could be wrong on that!

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Well anyone with a nut allergy that eats Monkey Nuts is probably worthy of a Darwin Award while their family, last seen on a Jeremy Kyle episode, will sue for a cool million.

And you wonder why companies are so ridiculously careful?

DaGaffer

Well anyone with a nut allergy that eats Monkey Nuts is probably worthy of a Darwin Award while their family, last seen on a Jeremy Kyle episode, will sue for a cool million.

And you wonder why companies are so ridiculously careful?

If English isn't your first language (11% of the population) or you're a child, would you necessarily know your monkey nuts from your peanuts? And a peanut allergy is a very specific thing; lots of people with peanut allergies can eat other kinds of nuts.

Syri

FH is my second home
If English isn't your first language (11% of the population) or you're a child, would you necessarily know your monkey nuts from your peanuts? And a peanut allergy is a very specific thing; lots of people with peanut allergies can eat other kinds of nuts.
Monkey Nuts ARE peanuts. And most people I know of that have peanut allergies will avoid any kinds of nuts anyway, simply as they are often processed in facilities that also handle peanuts, thus risking traces of peanuts anyway.
My posting of this is not to poke fun at people with allergies, it's simply bringing to light how over the top the food labelling system has become, how it's just stating the obvious so much. Maybe not everyone will know that peanuts and monkey nuts are the same thing, but that could be solved by simply sub-titling it with "peanuts still in their shells" or something, though I'm sure a lot of people with an allergy to something would find out what other names it may appear as anyway. There's just no need for half of the over the top warnings being put on things. It just strikes me as getting rather silly.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Only stupid people with a nut allergy would not know that monkey nuts are peanuts. 1 up for Darwin imo.

rynnor

Rockhound
And a peanut allergy is a very specific thing; lots of people with peanut allergies can eat other kinds of nuts.

That's because peanut's are not nuts - just root nodules with more in common with potatoes.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I have a severe nut allergy and i don't eat any type of nuts because i don't actully like them, which is quite common with allergy sufferes, the body naturally dislikes things it knows it can't have.

But i wouldn't know what type of nut is what, i just know to stay away from all of them. Hazelnuts and wallnuts affect me the worse, and seeing as ground versions of both are found in most confectionary and cake produts, then i don't really eat either.

I had some sleeping pills a few years back, and it said on the packet 'may cause drowsiness'

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Its not quite suing someone because they didnt play enough for your team (due to injuries), which obviously lead to stress and a mental disorder

DaGaffer

Only stupid people with a nut allergy would not know that monkey nuts are peanuts. 1 up for Darwin imo.

Monkey Nut is a specifically British term. Would you recognise "goober peas" or "ground nuts" as the term in other English-speaking countries?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Both actually.

Even so, they look like unshelled peanuts, therefore they are.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
As far as I'm concerned, if I buy something with "Monkey Nuts" printed on the packet, and it doesn't come with a little monkey, I'm getting a refund.

Indiana-Raiders-monkey_610.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom