Yet another Nerf for casters and archers and Healers!

A

Ardrias_Mid

The upside is, there'll be time for more casternerfs before that LoS crap hits us, so we can all play melee-classes :) /assist /stick /anytime /newb ~~

Just get a alpha of Darkfall going already...

K

khaldhor

los is pendragon only bug

According to the ranger TL the LOS problem is a confirmed BUG on pendragon.

C

Cyradix

Re: los is pendragon only bug

Originally posted by khaldhor
According to the ranger TL the LOS problem is a confirmed BUG on pendragon.

Damn and I was just about to hop on the bandwagon and do some postfarming ;)

O

old.Tohtori

Though i hate the word "realism" in these games(their games not real world :p ) i do love this. I play a cater myself and i don't mind, it makes it more challenging. I don't like a straight out numbers game anyway. More of these adds thank you and maybe some day there's a tactical aspect in this warfare :p

Oh, about the LOS itself and how it works from a gamedev view:

They can't calculate every single leaf because the leaves them selves are made of an alphaplane. Alphaplane(to those who don't know) is where parts of a solid surface are visible and parts are not.

Now, the LOS is defined by collision models and these are even lower in "polygon" count. Polygon is a triangle, two form a side(like in a cube there is 12 polygons).

Now, the leaves don't have individual collision models, would be a kick in the ass of the engine, so they use some other means. Like a box, a round surface, whatnot to cover the leaf area. This might lead to some "wrong" LOS values but that's how games work :p

A

Ardrias_Mid

So what if it's a bug? Not like they're known to fix those.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Ardrias_Mid

Actually if it's a bug i'd have a suggestion on what's fucked up...seen it before.

They take LOS from collision.

Leaves really odn't need collision sice noone gets there.

Object maker fucked up and accidently set the "model" as a "collision model" as well :p

A

asorek

Originally posted by Ardrias_Mid

My worries exactly..for rangers scouts hunters and lone casters and healers what protection or upperhand do we have if we cant hide to one side of a tree?? none..that worries me, for fucks sake do they expect a archer class to stand in the middle of the plains just so he can shoot? Givf climb trees imho!! :great:

Even they know its a bug, they said that about Cabbies pets hunting down stealthers..but that soon became a "Feature" & "Working as intended"...very worrying, but hopefully they'll see sense.

I think u hit it on the head, they need to make the TREE TRUNK the point for LOS not the branches, archers for centuries have sniped through tree branches...obviously not tree trunks tho!!

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by asorek
My worries exactly..for rangers scouts hunters and lone casters and healers what protection or upperhand do we have if we cant hide to one side of a tree?? none..that worries me, for fucks sake do they expect a archer class to stand in the middle of the plains just so he can shoot? Givf climb trees imho!! :great:

Even they know its a bug, they said that about Cabbies pets hunting down stealthers..but that soon became a "Feature" & "Working as intended"...very worrying, but hopefully they'll see sense.

I think u hit it on the head, they need to make the TREE TRUNK the point for LOS not the branches, archers for centuries have sniped through tree branches...obviously not tree trunks tho!!

TBH one of the things I think would be good in the game is more climbing, tree climbing would be great for scouting and sniping and add interesting elements to the game.
Imagine a full group of archers and assasins hiding in the trees and the assasins dropping in behind enemy groups whilst the archers pepper them with arrows...... Happy days!

Also in a related note I'd love to see crafters being able to make ladders for keep raids although that might unbalance things too much.......

A

Ajanti

The fix makes sense, but it's a nerf to classes who generally need a small boost instead (tanks > casters). If this fix goes live I certainly hope they give the interrupt system a complete overhaul as well.

D

Driwen

Originally posted by old.yaruar
Also in a related note I'd love to see crafters being able to make ladders for keep raids although that might unbalance things too much.......

that wouldnt be so bad as long as the defenders can push the ladders away ;), but then fix the los on the walls aswell so defenders actually got an advantage of the walls:). It would make sense for the walls to be attacked as its a rather annoying point, but the defenders can defend it reasonably if they pay attention:)

A

Arnor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yet another Nerf for casters and archers and Healers!

Originally posted by old.yaruar
They need to do other work to make casters viable, but casting through objects which render them totally hidden from view isn't the way.

Or we could go back to the days of the fotm archers who used to 2 shot tanks when standing behind trees and walls.....

One suspects that shooting through any solid object, be it a tree, a wall or the ground was never "working as intended" otherwise they just act as a barrier from melee classes..

your talking like los doesnt exist, it DOES and it doesnt need to be more of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom