Yes another thread : Cooling

K

kryt

Just got a spangly new case, internally similar to my old one : in fact, damned near identical with exception to the front drive fittings.

Problem is, this one has a plexiglass window in, in place of the blowhole and fan in the side of my old one.
Might be a combination of this and other things, but my PC is generally a whore lot hotter than it used to be, causing restarts and crashes, much to my annoyance. Sits at 49 degs idle, hits 60 loaded.

PC is noisey enough as it is with twin exhausts, PSU, CPU, GPU and intake fan, can't really afford to go splashing out on any spunky cooling systems etc.

Any cunning plans to solve the problem?
Normally I'd slap a little home made ducting in to help the airflow however with the window fitted, Weetabix packets don't look too asthetically pleasing.

I've not got easy access to power tools, I don't really want to cut sodding great holes in the case.

Come to think of it after reading my own post here, I'm beginning to think I need someone along the lines of Paul Daniels / Moses / Jesus (delete where applicable)
Any of you wish to stand up to the holy challenge? :)

E

Embattle

Could you please provide information regarding the make and model of your case?

K

kryt

it's a CheapoCheerful You'veNeverHeardOfIt case.

Dunno make or anything. Just a generic thing.

It's got V770 on the front.

That's aboot it :|

Edit :

Looks something like (in fact very much like, if not THE)

verreBLUE.jpg

E

Embattle

What Heatsink&Fan you got, btw one side fan won't make much of a difference on temps...maybe 1 or 2 degs.

K

kryt

THe case I had beforehand, with a "duct" fitted ( a cunningly placed CD case directing air from the side intake more towards the CPU ) , temperatures where easily 10 degree's lower.

Heatsink/fan combo is a coolermaster something or other.

Again I can't say what it is : largish heatsink, 70mm coolermaster fan.

Looks similar to, but isnt:
taisol_cek733092.jpg

To give a little more information::

There is a single intake fan (room for 2) at the front of the case. Underneath which is a single 40gb Quantum hard drive. This wouldn't impair temperatures much would it?

The coolermaster fan fitted to the CPU (AMD 1800xp) , not too far away from the Geforce 4 ti4200, Creative Labs, stock cooled, no memory cooling : that alone is annoyingly warm, I've put one of those Slot coolers in the PCI slot next-but-one to it.

Behind the CPU, 2 exhaust 80mm's. I originally had one in there earlier this morning, I swapped the other round from being an intake at the front. It's a good few degrees cooler this way round.

PSU i'm not too chuffed about : that is also extremely warm : only 1 fan in it, which I find a little suprising for a 350watt. Make "Eagle". Never heard of them personally, its P4 approved anyway.

There's nothing else that should be affecting much regarding the heat : its an Abit KR7A Raid, with an actively cooled northbridge.

I have a 120mm fan which I'm considering mounting somewhere with a chopped up Zalman fanmate to drop the speed ( and therefore the noise ).
Just a matter of where tbh.

Cheers btw.

E

Embattle

To be honest your PC is more cooled than mine was when I had a XP 1800+ yet I managed lower temps. I had one exhaust fan with no intake fans and managed a 50c full load with a TaiSol HSF.

Did you take off the Heatsink off recently, If you did/didn't then it might be worth taking it off and reapplying some thermal compound, not too thick, and attach the heatsink back on again...give the CPU a wipe clean first before attaching the HSF back on.

K

kryt

Christ, give this man some common sense.

Nicely thought mate : really within my capabilities but slipped my mind like a really slippery thing on a winters day.

The HSF hasn't come off the CPU since it's purchase : and I had completely forgotten I was still using the supplied "thermal goop tape stuff". All that was left was a ring of the goop around the core, and nothing on the core.
Gave it a thorough clean, applied a little artic silver I had lying around and wham, running at 45 degrees under load, with one of the exhausts turned off and the other running at a lower 7 volts.

So, my next question.

Where can I purchase, or maybe even grab a pirate copy of this "Common Sense" ? :D

Cheers Emb.

Ooh, btw : handy little hint: Whilst rummaging inside my PC, also with some attempt to lower the noise levels, i "buffered" the CDRom/CDRW/Hard drive screw attachments with those little red card rings you use with standoffs on yer motherboard. Cuts out a fair bit of the vibration. Might go as far as to use some Electrical tape alongside all drive>case contact points. Simple things, effective solutions.

B

Big G

Ooh, btw : handy little hint: Whilst rummaging inside my PC, also with some attempt to lower the noise levels, i "buffered" the CDRom/CDRW/Hard drive screw attachments with those little red card rings you use with standoffs on yer motherboard. Cuts out a fair bit of the vibration. Might go as far as to use some Electrical tape alongside all drive>case contact points. Simple things, effective solutions.

sounds leet, i'll give that a try on my cd rom and dvd. My tip for even quieter is to suspension mount hard disks. I've created a (heh) rubber band suspension thingy where the hard disk sits on rubber bands stretched across a drive bay - makes the hard disk totally silent. careful when moving the PC though, it might clonk around and get damaged.

Gaz

W

Wilier

Originally posted by kryt

Edit :

Looks something like (in fact very much like, if not THE)

verreBLUE.jpg

OI.

Thats my case!!!

Its nice innit, like you say, cheap-n-chearfull.

Y

Yaka

throw away yer flopp drive and stick some ystech silent fans which should fit if both the drive bay covers are removed.
as for thermal paste most pc shops sell em now yes even the cack pot that is pc world

K

kryt

Noo, no problem : got shitloads of thermal paste, got about a bucket full of artic smeg/silver :)

Not got a floppy drive anyway : what on earth would I use one for :D

W

Will

Well, my PC runs at 59-62C idle and 69C at load, and for some bizarre reason it is stable. *shrugs*

Y

Yaka

32 idle and 35 full load ere:)

swiftech p4 cooloers and delat screamers work wonders

X

Xavier

using a zalman flower on meh 3ghz HT P4 and it never breaks 45C :p

M

Malfius

Get yer self a Thermal Right SLK-800 and a nice 3000 rpm 80mm Fan on top (blowing down), Cant hear the danm thing and the CPU never gets above 41C at full load.
It might help that its in a Coolermaster 201 Aluminium case though :)

Be warned, the Heatsink weighs just over 500 grams, so be careful if transporting PC about.

W

Will

I have an SLK 800...It sits on top of my case as decoration, because it won't fit in the tiny case I'm using (Coolermaster 500).

K

kryt

Difference being Xavier, you have a proper CPU. You don't need to attach large ex-windtunnel approved blowing devices to keep your peice cool :)
Those flower things do indeed rock though :)

B

-b5-lunatic

Originally posted by kryt

verreBLUE.jpg
im on me old pc at mo so ill post temps if i rem ber
thats the same case as i got as well ........went 4 that 1 as i broke 2 manny jigsaw blades last time cutting a window in other case
as for cooling cause i got a combo drive i went out and got 3 of them h/d heatsinks things that mount in the cd bays ......so now i got 6 small fans sucking air in from the front ( looks ok as well ) and 2 80 blow holes @ back of case and i got a nice volcano 9 sitting on top of my lovely xp 2400 ;)

K

kryt

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

WILL YOU STFU FOR F*** SAKE!

Noise level : Delete as applicable:

Mouse Shuffling | Small Fan | Microwave | Medium bellied fart | Dyson |