Adaptec aha2940 SCSI Adapter
Intel 10/100 pci network card
pci firewire adapter
Creative soundblaster 128.

Windows XP Pro
Latest 4 in 1 drivers
Latest bios update
Nvidia 21.83 dets.

Yesterday I did a defrag on my C: drive (a 6gig partition of the 15gig drive).
After the analysis I was informed that there was only 11% free space for the defrag, would I like to continue, which I did.

Later last night, booted machine up and it posted etc no probs. Came to the desktop and gave error

PROCEDUR ENTRY POINT THUNK CONNECT 32 COULD NOT BE LOCATED IN THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY KERNAL32

then it reset and began to boot again.

Machine went into checkdisk, on C: gave 2 errors

System Volume/information/restore blahblahblah.......ini is cross linked. Link has been corrected by copying .

and

windows/dump7ef7.tmp first allocation not valid. entry has been truncated.

then proceeds with boot to desktop, but crashes with the kernal error again.

I cant boot into any of the safe modes, same thing happens.

I was wondering if I can alter anything if put the drive in another machine as a slave.

If I am doomed, can I reinstall XP onto the partition, and still be able to run the software on the rest of the drive?

:(

E

Embattle

Sounds like you're fucked and doing the last bit would cause many problems so no, not really.

T

Testin da Cable

Wilier mate, knowing nothing at all of XP I'd hazard a guess that your defrag screwed up your filesystem rather seriously.

some thoughts:

perhaps if you boot with a floppy and run a good filesystem checker it may help to correct the problem.

[this one may screw you up more than you are now]
slave the drive in a different machine, then remove the exact tmp file, then copy the kernel32 to somewhere else...copy it back -or- copy it from another machine. please be aware that screwing about with your kernel can kill your machine deader then a very dead thing.

at the very least slave it, then check the filesystem. good luck!

F

FuZor

Chill :) If it makes you feel any better XP also spooned out and had a small meltdown! on my comp :( Thus 2k Professional :)

S

Summo

Have you tried looking here? Seems like somebody else has the same problem as you. Seems like somebody else also spelt 'procedure' and 'kernel' wrong. ;)

Beyond my pedantic ramblings I can't offer any help. Google and MS Knowledge base draw blanks, unusually.

Try booting off the Windows XP CD and running the Recovery Console. May be some things in there which can recover/rebuild the faulty bits. Vague, but whatcha gonna do?

Ignore the XP nay-sayers. Windows 2000 is more problematic than XP. FACT*. :cool:

* Probably.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Summo

Ignore the XP nay-sayers. Windows 2000 is more problematic than XP. FACT*. :cool:

* Probably.

Some people will always have more trouble with one over the other, largely depends on what hardware you have and what software you run :p

F

FuZor

2000 is old and mature, XP is the new born brat. nuff said :p ;)

W

Wilier

OK, so I did everything that was posted on that Tweak XP post by that fantastic, handsome, clever but IT illiterate geek. (Summo :eek: )

But to no avail.

So we went on holiday instead.

Ended up reinstalling XP last night. Took the opportunity to install that swanky new SCSI drive I got aaages ago. Popped the card in, booted up, memory error on the card. AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

So, PC now works, SCSI drive dosnt, yet.

TdC, I did try what you said, but couldnt find the appropriate files. (or the Kenral for that matter :rolleyes: )

EDIT// Ive just realised that the link Robin posted wasnt to Tweak XP at all, but to another wanky site that no-one bothered to reply to. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom