Advice Xbox freezing

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Got a strange problem with my Xbox. It's the old Elite console and every so often it will just freeze on me, forcing me to unplug it before it will turn off. I've had a look around and the only thing that fits is my GPU overheating. However I've had it apart and it was surprisingly dust free, it's also well ventilated.

There are no red lights and no other problems. Anyone got any ideas?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Any pattern to the freezing? On the same game, something like that?

Access Denied

Any pattern to the freezing? On the same game, something like that?

Doesn't seem to be game specific, though it does only happen when I'm playing games. Not sure about timings either tbh. Noticed earlier that Battlefield was a bit pixelated. A quick Google search gave two possibles for that.

1: My 10 year old 16m Ethernet cable is on the fritz. Something I can't check until I get home from my mums because the router is too far from the TV for a normal length cable.

2: There are some apparent tie-ins with pixelated graphics and freezes. Seems my console may be overdue for an RRoD. It had never been opened until I did it either. Seal was still in place. Going to test the pixelation thing when I get home. If it still happens at home I'll get my mate to reflow the board. If it doesn't I'll chalk it up to the cable and then do the 12v fan mod to fix the overheating and feezing.

Will

/bin/su
Mine just does this from time to time. I don't worry about it, reboot and play on.

Access Denied

Mine just does this from time to time. I don't worry about it, reboot and play on.

Yes but when you're a sniper on Battlefield and you're 27 for 3 it's REALLY annoying!

Yaka

Part of the furniture
check to see if both fans spin the same speed, best when case is open. adding an extra 40mm fan running at 5v helps as well

something like this

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

but a small 40mm fan should do the trick inore the 80mm fans stuck on the out side in the pic below

Picture228-1.jpg

dont forget to use new thermal paste as well

Access Denied

Well, it hasn't frozen since I had it open and cleaned out the little dust that was present. The pixelation also doesn't happen with a HDMI cable. Not certain what's going on there but my mate seems to think the GPU is going and that my Xbox will suffer an imminent RRoD. Thoughts?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
it the joints arnt balling then it not failing.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
do you play games from CD or install on HD ? maybe the CD is skipping ?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well, it hasn't frozen since I had it open and cleaned out the little dust that was present. The pixelation also doesn't happen with a HDMI cable. Not certain what's going on there but my mate seems to think the GPU is going and that my Xbox will suffer an imminent RRoD. Thoughts?
Try changing its rotation, i.e. if its standing lay it flat or vice-versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom