Xbox 360's to be banned in the US?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Can't see the video. What are the reasons for it? Some pathetic, tenuous patent argument?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Can't see the video. What are the reasons for it? Some pathetic, tenuous patent argument?

Yeap. Add to that(my theory) a possible congressman with a stick up his arse about gaming, or someone really nicely paid off by Sony/Nntendo.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
That woman needs elocution lessons.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I would.

Elsewise, the patent thing is getting silly. I don't know if they need to look at how these things are regulated to prevent these problems coming up so much (?a department in the patent office responsible for clearing new products for patent infringement prior to launch), because I'm bored of hearing about it.

I don't know if its because companies on either side are being cheeky, because companies have patented everything now and its impossible to have a new idea that isn't almost someone else's already or both.. but its got dull.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I don't know if its because companies on either side are being cheeky, because companies have patented everything now and its impossible to have a new idea that isn't almost someone else's already or both.. but its got dull.

No its because the US Patent Office is full of retards who routinely let people patent things covered by prior art, or processes. Other patent bodies around the world aren't as bonkers as the US office, which frankly needs fundamental reform.

This particular mess is to do with H.264, which shouldn't even be patented in the fucking first place and is one of the major obstacles to HTML5 adoption.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Patents are fucking retarded in any event.

Once something is brought into existence it can be copied, that's life, people need to deal with it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Patents protect investments in research from the big corps to the little guy working out of his shed.

They are a very good thing indeed. However, they are also being abused a lot lately by utter arseholes.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Patents protect investments in research from the big corps who can afford the lawyers to enforce it, and for the little guy , hes just open to corporate espionage

fixed that for you

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Patents protect investments in research from the big corps to the little guy working out of his shed.

They are a very good thing indeed. However, they are also being abused a lot lately by utter arseholes.
So they put individualistic self-interest above the greater good... great </Sarcasm>

Chilly

Balls of steel
So they put individualistic self-interest above the greater good... great </Sarcasm>
Dont be so naive. Why would you invest £x million researching new technology if you didn't think you could make it back and a bit of profit? The alternative is anarchy. Or communism. Take your pick.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Likewise if I had come up with some random invention in my shed I wouldn't bother trying to get it to market without a patent, what would be the point? Any innovation would stop completely without patents.

Who's greater good anyway? Apples?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
chobot_psp_1302490420.jpg

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Likewise if I had come up with some random invention in my shed I wouldn't bother trying to get it to market without a patent, what would be the point? Any innovation would stop completely without patents.

Who's greater good anyway? Apples?
Yeah, cos nobody invented say the wheel before patents existed.

:rolleyes:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nobody could make money out the wheel when the wheel was invented

:rolleyes:

Do you really think (for example) Intel would bother ploughing billions into processor research if anyone could just rock up with a factory and copy it?

Really?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Probably in a fairly similar place to where he is now, the first Dysons were popular because you didn't have to buy bags for them and I think he only got about £10 million quid suing Hoover.

In addition this kablams Raven's point because he only came up with his machine because he was fed up with existing offerings. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

As for Intel, last I checked ARM is the one driving shit forward these days and AMD came up with most of the x64 instructions that are likely powering your box did they not?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Dyson managed to secure themselves a market place because the patent on their technology was good and thorough and took companies years to work out how to get around it to produce a similar item.

Had there been no patenting law they would have been undercut by all the existing players and you wouldn't now see his crazy heating/cooling tech etc.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Probably in a fairly similar place to where he is now, the first Dysons were popular because you didn't have to buy bags for them and I think he only got about £10 million quid suing Hoover.

In addition this kablams Raven's point because he only came up with his machine because he was fed up with existing offerings. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

As for Intel, last I checked ARM is the one driving shit forward these days and AMD came up with most of the x64 instructions that are likely powering your box did they not?

ARM is only driving shit forward because they can patent their designs and manufacturing processes, they wouldn't bother if Intel or AMD could just wait for them to spend money on research and just copy it. What would be the point? And please don't say for the greater good, no business goes to all that effort for the greater good.

Getting around patents means research into your own tech, which leads to improvements and innovation it also rewards people for coming up with a solution to a problem (As per Dyson)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
There's nothing wrong with the concept of intellectual property, and anyone who argues otherwise is freetard fuckwit who needs to be introduced to a leather-bound copy of The Wealth of Nations. Rectally. However, the application of Intellectual Property law needs reform on many many levels, because large parts of it are clearly broken.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Won't happen, can you imagine the phone call to Mr Obama?

CEO of Microsoft 'Hey, what's that Barack, wanna ban 360's yeah?, oh wait China is on the other line, Oh hey, so yeah, if they ban 360s, we move to China, half the pay, when you invade America, I become Supreme Leader of the Eastern Seaboard, and you replace Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial with Bill yeah? Sounds like a deal, oh wait, Barack, you still on the line?'

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh it would be awesome to see it happen, because if it doesn't I wonder how Apple will manage to block the next product that's better than theirs? oh wait, that wouldn't be logical :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
There's nothing wrong with the concept of intellectual property, and anyone who argues otherwise is freetard fuckwit who needs to be introduced to a leather-bound copy of The Wealth of Nations. Rectally. However, the application of Intellectual Property law needs reform on many many levels, because large parts of it are clearly broken.

The problem is SOPA CISPA etc only come into creation by lobbying of firms that want to make it even worse - any reform of internationally would have the US as a major voice - unfortunately it's a corrupt one.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Patents are only any use if you can afford more/better lawyers than the other guy.

25-30 years ago a consultant radiologist I worked with did a lot of research into the way that the mass of capillaries in the sole of the foot act as a kind of pump as we walk, and help push blood back up the legs. he and a colleague then designed a kind of boot with an inflatable instep that could replicate this action for bed bound patients, reducing the risk of many circulatory problems such as bed sores etc.

These were quite a hit, especially back when people tended to spend much longer in hospital than they do now, though I think you will find these contraptions still used on some patients. He patented the idea of course, but never saw a penny of the profit because the big corporations just ignored the patents. He could have sued, and almost certainly won, but by the time they had dragged him through various courts and appeals etc. it would have taken years, and he would have certainly been broke.

He was surprisingly non-bitter about this, considering that it should have made him a wealthy man (though as a consultant he was hardly a pauper).

RB

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
doubt it will go through, be funny if it did tho :p all the CoD fanboys will cry like little bitches.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
By this ban... Do they mean only sales of new consoles or what? Or send the cops round to everyones house and take them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom