WWII Documentaries.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well saw another one last night a german one this time. Showing all the bad things the Germans did during the war. This is pretty much what always show or how the Allies or Russian sweap over the continent and frees Europe.

But what is really starting to tire me is that they hardly talk about how many jew and other people Stalin actully killed, how many village they burned due to the fact that 1 person from that village deserted, they send prisoners out in mine fields to clear them. Etc etc, when will someone have the
balls to really show us what Stalin and his Cronies did, why not show what both sides did. How many german women where not raped during the libiration?

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Well saw another one last night a german one this time. Showing all the bad things the Germans did during the war. This is pretty much what always show or how the Allies or Russian sweap over the continent and frees Europe.

But what is really starting to tire me is that they hardly talk about how many jew and other people Stalin actully killed, how many village they burned due to the fact that 1 person from that village deserted, they send prisoners out in mine fields to clear them. Etc etc, when will someone have the
balls to really show us what Stalin and his Cronies did, why not show what both sides did. How many german women where not raped during the libiration?

I watched one about how the russian army stopped just outside warsaw and basicly waited for the polish resistance to be crushed before entering the city.

I think there are a fair few documentaries out there which show things like that, its just they arent really that well publicised because of the controversy surrounding that aspect of the war, and the whole cold war thing afterwards.

EDIT: reminds me of one of these Winston Churchill quotes, was just after he was talking about being atleast friendly with the russians once hitler attacked them so they could work together.

It was something like "If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons"

I dont think many people were in doubt about it, but atleast stalin was the (marginally) lesser of two evils when compared with hitler.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Or what americans did, or the british, or the allies in general...

There's no "good side" in any war.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Or what americans did, or the british, or the allies in general...

There's no "good side" in any war.

Agreed to a point, there are vastly better sides though, lets face it, its a bloody good job the western allies won - Hitler as the fuhrer of europe would've been no good at all - whether he decided to stop at the channel or not!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Agreed to a point, there are vastly better sides though, lets face it, its a bloody good job the western allies won - Hitler as the fuhrer of europe would've been no good at all - whether he decided to stop at the channel or not!

Not gonna say "no it would be better if hitler won", it's good as it is now, very good, and all worked out, but i'm not entirely sure if it would've been totally bad if they had won.

I mean, they had some very good ideas, regarding work politics etc, and none of us would evne remember a world where they hadn't won. So it's kinda, very speculative what would've happened.

Sure, the sides are always "this is the less of two evils", but i think each side thought they were right, but only thing that matters is who's left.

G

there is a good side to it, it teaches americans geography

also, a good film to see if you were wondering what _could_ have happened if the germans had won the war....

Fatherland (1994) (TV)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Not gonna say "no it would be better if hitler won", it's good as it is now, very good, and all worked out, but i'm not entirely sure if it would've been totally bad if they had won.

I mean, they had some very good ideas, regarding work politics etc, and none of us would evne remember a world where they hadn't won. So it's kinda, very speculative what would've happened.

Sure, the sides are always "this is the less of two evils", but i think each side thought they were right, but only thing that matters is who's left.

He had a couple of good ideas, but the extremist attitudes and ruthlessness coupled with the complete and absolute control would just have turned europe into an 'anti-utopia' akin to something from a sci-fi film, like equilibrium or something.

Hitler killed around 11 million people during WW2 in concentration camps, imagine what he would have managed to do if he wasnt distracted by fighting a war?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
also, a good film to see if you were wondering what _could_ have happened if the germans had won the war....

Fatherland (1994) (TV)

Thanks, have to check it out. i'm always interested in those kind of things.

He had a couple of good ideas, but the extremist attitudes and ruthlessness coupled with the complete and absolute control would just have turned europe into an 'anti-utopia' akin to something from a sci-fi film, like equilibrium or something.

Hitler killed around 11 million people during WW2 in concentration camps, imagine what he would have managed to do if he wasnt distracted by fighting a war?

Might be an anti-utopia, then again, if hitlers plan to "purify" the world had worked, we(those around) might actually be in an utopia. Who knows.

Well, those are peanuts compared to WW1 etc. But yes, there were many deaths. But even that isn't THAT simple of a matter. If one wanted to do the short version of an argbumetn, he DID tellt hem to f*ck off before the killing started.

G

anti-utopia or distopia for the correct word, yeah, i think the world would have been a distopia if the hitler run germany had won the war, but you never know........

Dukat

Resident Freddy
anti-utopia or distopia for the correct word, yeah, i think the world would have been a distopia if the hitler run germany had won the war, but you never know........

Dystopia implies poverty and a very bad standard of life, anti-utopia is actually an orwellian term used to describe a utopia thats been fuxxed up in some way, so great standard of living but with only one bad thing, like logans run, equilibrium or the island.

I think if hitler had of won the standard of living would be great, however you'd always be one step away from being sent to some camp, and some people would just be sent there anyway for being who they are. That to me is like being a sheep living on a farm, great fun until the farmer wants a roast :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The thing that i most wonder is, would anyone care?

As in, anyone of us, would've been born to that world, to those standards, to those ways of life. Just like we did here. So would we care, any more then a usual anti-government guy would, about the state of affairs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom